• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I was just looking for a record cabinet

$85 ... gonna have to call that a SCROE dude! and that would be just for the tubes ... the Leak gear is more icing on the cake.

Good on ya, nice find. Hope you appreciate what you have there.

Cheers,
Bob
 
MCM?

I have a brother in law who works in home renovation and has a cabinet shop. He would be happy to help me. I just have to (1) find time and (2) somehow figure out T/S parameters on a fifty year old speaker.

mid-century-modern. I'm not even remotely an interior design guy - MUCH more a 'function over form' type, BUT apparently its' a thing that people find valuable... It's what is causing consoles on Craigslist to be listed and re-re-re-relisted for $500! :nono:
 
I got the horizontal console version of this when my parents neighbor passed away.
The wax drippage is no problem, the Leak power trans runs hot. But you should have it recapped and make sure that the Green resistor with the burned area above does not have the leads twisted around or firmly connected to the mounting tabs. It is supposed to be able to drop off if there is an overheating problem. Sort of an safety fuse. Just solder it to the fork of the tab. I've got the schematics if you need them.
 
If you haven't yet experienced the goodness of tube hifi, you are in for a huge treat. There really is no going back to solid state once you hear what tubes can do.
 
Just Wow.

Like going for your learner's permit and then getting a Aston-Martin DB-5 in your driveway for the price of a rusty VW fender......With a tank full of hi-test racing fuel....
Good On Ya and welcome to the alluring Tube world!
 
I actually took that shot to show the badge.

Are you telling me that the tubes are what I should be excited about? I was kind of excited about the whole thing. BTW, every tube is a Mullard. I didn't know they were particularly sought after, but I reasoned that since every tube was the same manufacturer, then they must all be original.


Let's see, I bought this barn because overall, it was nice. It had nice wood beams and all... Oh, you mean that old 1950s muscle car parked in it is really worth more than the whole barn? And that rusty Duesenberg we haven't mentioned (the Leak) is worth even more? Wow! :D


It's great when good surprises come to good people --call it Karma!
 
Makes a person wonder what sort of speakers the person was running with the Leaks; Tannoys, Goodmans, :scratch2:

Note to self: Look into any such cabinets one sees at used furniture places :yes:

Wonderful score :thmbsp:
 
Makes a person wonder what sort of speakers the person was running with the Leaks; Tannoys, Goodmans, :scratch2:

Note to self: Look into any such cabinets one sees at used furniture places :yes:

Wonderful score :thmbsp:

Oh, believe me, I asked if any speakers came in with it. Funny, I was having visions of Tannoy Reds myself.
 
My 13 year old daughter saw the oily spot when I removed the amp and said "Well, it is a Leak Amp".

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

That is a great kid. I agree, encourage that humor all you can. It will serve her well.

MCM?

I have a brother in law who works in home renovation and has a cabinet shop. He would be happy to help me. I just have to (1) find time and (2) somehow figure out T/S parameters on a fifty year old speaker.

Don't know if those speakers will be worth spending the money on this system or not, but it should work for you:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=390-804

Certainly the system is worth the effort.

That is one magnificent find. Restoration of the power amp should be relatively easy, given the layout of the parts and the accessibility.

I envy you both the find and the work of restoration. It should prove to be fun indeed.

Shelly_D
 
I just hope the trannie didn't fry. It looks like an especially easy recap (so much so that I may be able to handle it myself).
 
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

That is a great kid. I agree, encourage that humor all you can. It will serve her well.



Don't know if those speakers will be worth spending the money on this system or not, but it should work for you:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=390-804

Certainly the system is worth the effort.

That is one magnificent find. Restoration of the power amp should be relatively easy, given the layout of the parts and the accessibility.

I envy you both the find and the work of restoration. It should prove to be fun indeed.

Shelly_D

This system is worthy of those drivers and also worthy of the Tannoy Reds mentioned by the OP.
 
i literally choked while eating mushroom & barley soup when i saw that pictures of stereo amp in the back.
 
What a treasure!! I'd never seen a Leak before, but this thread has been thrilling. Thanks for sharing your find. Exciting!!
 
CONGRATS!!!:banana::banana:


Just checking our favorite on-line auction site, there is a Leak 20 for $400 with no Mullard tubes.


Also on that site is a listing for a company in England who rebuilds Leaks.
They charge $400 and shipping around $120.00.

I hope it sounds great after the needed repairs.:music::music:


Greg
 
Back
Top Bottom