• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ideas on how to repair this Altec 19 butchery?

They sound so good I am wondering now if there is any benefit to keep on searching for original xo's? :scratch2:
I can't see the original xo's sounding markedly better as the parts they are made of are now quite old.
 
Believe me- I A/B the original xovers to the Z19 xovers, there is a definate improvement with the Z 19's over the stock types. The Z19's handle power much better without saturation- it is a win win all the way around! You done good with all your improvements. Being one who does a fair amount of vintage speaker repair work, I can really admire on what you accomplished here and understand the work involved especially with the Altec 19's. Those are big guys to tackle for sure! The reward is the sonic pay off these pay back with. Certainly one of the best balanced 2 way speakers ever made- especially after the Z19 upgrade, Durst horn foams and maybe a few other items. At least I think so.

If you have the right room to let them open and breath, then you really have the epitomy in a 2 way premium sound system. I honestly cannot think of anything in its type/class that beats them, plus you have some really great bragging rights as well and are part of a unique club of owners!

Hope you get many years of enjoyment from them!
DC
 
I understand that some large speakers may "sag" after a lot of years and rotating them 90 degrees may help get the "sag" out. You sure did a great job, and they sound great to you, so that's cool. Enjoy!:music:
 
I got new foams for around the horns from the Darst's and they fit perfectly. But I do have a couple of questions.
The foam seems to extend past the edge of the horn. I have never seem original foams so I have no idea how they look.
Will this slight extension inot the horn affect the sound?
Should I trim this?
Here are a few pics.
DSC03639.jpg


DSC03641.jpg


DSC03643.jpg
 
I may have found a pair of Altec xo's which I would like to have for reasons of completing this restoration. I'm not going to use them considering how good the Z19's sound but I will try them out and store them away.
However, these Altec XO's say N1201 8A. I have read they are identical but they do not say Altec 19 on the face. And the serial #'s are 5000 apart and one looks older and a bit more worn than the other.
The fellow selling them wants $100 which I think is very fair.
Are these the same as M19 xo's?
 

Attachments

  • N12018A.jpg
    N12018A.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom