• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

If you had to choose/build a speaker driver, what would you want on the cone?

Romeo Wolf

Super Member
This is in obligatory, nothing more than a sh*tpost to share our tastes with and have fun with. But of course, if you don't like something that somebody else likes, just try not to bring it to your head and blow it out. That's just awful. Anyway, let's get designing with the thread.

What would you want the speaker cone to look like/have on your own personal speaker driver(s)?

For me, personally, I am more into the design that vintage and/or cheaper speaker driver cones have. But preferably vintage.

It doesn't have to be simple if you don't want it to be. You can add as many toppings as you like, any size, any quantity, any-anything. It's like designing your own pizza. Except Speakertenized.

On my personal speaker cone, I'd like to have;
-Dustcap: No size preference (or maybe none)
-Cone Design: Plain, Curved, or Ribbed.
-Surround: Rolled Cloth/Fabric, rubber or Paper.
Additional topping(s): this may sound weird but I'd like to have those ugly exposed tinsel leads on the front of the cone (which I think adds character)

Few examples:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-6-...sh=item26196b6064:g:Xa8AAOSw6hZcp1jR&LH_BIN=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBONNAEU...:GacAAOxy4fBTjqAJ&LH_BIN=1#vi__app-cvip-panel

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnavox-6...sh=item3652923e63:g:orkAAOSwXchdVHI7&LH_BIN=1

What are your guy's tastes like?
 
Register to hide this ad
On my personal speaker cone, I'd like to have;
-Dustcap: No size preference (or maybe none)
-Cone Design: Plain, Curved, or Ribbed.
-Surround: Rolled Cloth/Fabric, rubber or Paper.
Additional topping(s): this may sound weird but I'd like to have those ugly exposed tinsel leads on the front of the cone (which I think adds character)

All those things affect the driver's performance. Hopefully the engineers chose those features based on sound, not looks.
 
Last edited:
Based on the title I would want Ice Cream on the cone, probably the waffle type. I prefer planar speakers, magnetic or electrostatic are both nice.
 
Just putting stuff on the cone doesn’t mean anything. All of these aspects affect the drivers performance and how they handle impedance when trying to transfer their vibrations to the air.

If we’re going off looks, I like paper cones, white or cream colored, with metal phase plugs, copper preferred.
 

If we’re going off looks, I like paper cones, white or cream colored, with metal phase plugs, copper preferred.

Mine would look like they do. waveguide/phase plug on one;
index.php

I'm sensing a pattern here...
 
I kinda like the KEF B139 driver, in which there is no cone, just a flat racetrack shape diaphragm. It solves the issues with phase difference with the tweeter and avoids a long list of issues.
 
All those things affect the driver's performance. Hopefully the engineers chose those features based on sound, not looks.

Just putting stuff on the cone doesn’t mean anything. All of these aspects affect the drivers performance and how they handle impedance when trying to transfer their vibrations to the air.

If we’re going off looks, I like paper cones, white or cream colored, with metal phase plugs, copper preferred.
This thread is basing off looks, not sound.
 
My apologies. You've already posted about several audio purchases you've made based mainly on appearance. I just thought that one day you might be interested in speakers that sound good, too.
I mean, I definitely would be interested in good sounding speakers.
 
Back
Top Bottom