• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

If you were to win the lottery....

ledzep1968

Budding Audiophile
What hi-fi audio equipment would you get?

I necessarily wouldn't want to get the best-of-the-best. Example, just because a Macintosh speaker costs three times as much as an Infinity, doesn't necessarily mean it will sound three times as better.

I'd want two systems, one with all vintage 70s/early 80s components. And the other with what I thought sounded the best. However, I'd always like some Klipsch speakers in there. ;)
 
Register to hide this ad
Stereo would be so far under my radar if I won.. .I'd be on the road and probably have no place for quite a while that I'd call home to keep anything... Too much to see and do out there in the world.

And if I did have the desire to buy gear, it sure wouldn't be used stuff..
 
I'd be busy with other things first like the last poster.

But after that settles down - I would buy an Audio Note level 5 system. The lottery would have to be bigger than the $1-3 million variety however.

For a big room - Silbatone or Acapella loudspeakers.

If I won $5 million - I'd run a Stereo store - I'd buy a big outlet where I could have maybe 7 dedicated rooms and sell my favorite gear - if I make money great but who cares if I don't I'm rich anyway.
 
Contrary to the other posters, if I won the lottery one of the first things I'd buy would be a system. Since I don't play the lotto, I haven't researched which system that would be however.

But I do own McIntosh speakers already, and they sound pretty darn good :)
 
If I won the lottery. first thing id do is hire a CPA and make sure Im not gonna piss my money everywhere :D. As far a system, I dunno yet. I like to build my own stuff, so of course there would be a nice selection of tools involved as well as me purchasing components to build a nice pair of tube monoblocks, tube pre, and tube RIAA phono stage.
 
Like the first two posters I don't think audio would be that close to the top of my list of things to splash out on. My main priorities would be: buying a nice house (nothing really fancy - just comfortable), travelling a bit, making sure my family and friends had everything they need, and then giving to charity/helping others.

In fact, I don't think I'd buy a single piece of audio equipment. What I'd far rather do if I had the money (and time, once things had settled down and hopefully I wouldn't have to work) would be to build all my gear myself. My own homemade speakers, amps, preamps, DAC, media PC, maybe even a homemade turntable.

Of course this is all completely pointless as I don't even play the lottery.
 
"I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man."

and then later I'd worry about tunes.
 
I've already laid out my dream system in my head as I've thought about trying to obtain it some day if I ever could afford it. Nothing too extragent, as I'm not trying to make a statement- just trying to listen to tunes on really nice gear.

Well-tempered Amadeus TT, TOTL Zyx or Dynavector cart.
EMM Labs transport/DAC with separate server (Olive?)
Vendetta Research phono stage.
Atma-sphere amplification.
Harbeth Monitor 40.1s
Hand made teak stands
Pair (or more) of REL subwoofers.
The least intrusive/least ugly nice cables money could buy.
Gear sitting on/in my current mid-century cabinet.

And a dedicated room for it.

In lieu of the complication/space hogging of Atma-Sphere pre and monoblocks, I might alternate with Luxman or maybe try newer Accuphase amplfication.

And you don't need to win the lottery for two chicks at the same time. You just need to know the right two ladies.
 
First thing would be a place to live...one out in the middle of nowhere. Second would to buy some businesses that are established and making money.

Then the equipment raid. There wouldnt be a Pioneer or Realistic that could be bought on ebay or cl.
 
AK doesn't have enough storage space for my list or my plans. But lets just say for the first 6 months Interpol couldn't keep track of us.
 
It would certainly depend on how big the Lottery prize was.
If it was Mega-Mega size, first the CPA/Tax Attorney, then my Mutual Fund Manager and finally I'd set up the "Ultimate DIY Shop Complex" with an Electronics Room, separate metal working and woodworking rooms and a paint booth.

The Woodworking Shop would be big enough for constructing a 6o foot wooden sailboat (Alden "Malabar" Schooner).

Connected to the Electronics shop would be my Living space with dedicated Listening Room and Library, well lit craft/painting studio and a number of guest rooms.

It may seem strange, but I wouldn't be wasting money on exotic cars, etc., although I'd splurge on some new tennis shoes, sweatshirts and Levi's. If it looked as though the budget would allow, I'd also have my ancient insulated metal Thermos bottle repainted.

That's what it would be like for............
Terry:D
 
I wouldn't change a thing in my systems. I would retire immediately instead of waiting another 5 years though. I don't play the lottery anyway.
 
I like all my gear so first, Id have it all restored to better then new. That be fine by me. I would however, buy a new Turntable. I have a couple in mind.

Then, most likely, buy me a new truck, nothing big and real expensive, the wife a new car, both kids too. Then, Id make sure my kids were set. Other then that, not much more. I've already done alot of traveling, been everywhere Id care to go. Maybe take 2 cruises a year instead of one. Can't think of anything else. Oh, maybe a winter home down south somewhere, 2-3 bedroom double wide would work just fine.

Yeah, Im a simple man and quite satisfied with what I already have.
 
I'd definitely buy a SME Model 30/2 turntable with SME V arm.

Any 1/2 decently built phono stage would probably do me ok as long as it doesn't hum.

Amplification would be via some "obsessively rebuilt" late 70's totl Sansui of the dual mono variety...I just like how they sound.

Speakers...I'd keep my humble B&W DM-110 that I bought at 15 with the hard earned money from my Saturday job.

As for the rest...as long as it spreads a little happiness...I'll die penniless but satisfied :smoke:
 
Last edited:
Here's ya a couple of biker chicks Jim... no lottery needed..

BikerChicks_0.jpg
 
It may seem strange, but I wouldn't be wasting money on exotic cars, etc., although I'd splurge on some new tennis shoes, sweatshirts and Levi's. If it looked as though the budget would allow, I'd also have my ancient insulated metal Thermos bottle repainted.

That's what it would be like for............
Terry:D

I hear you on that. Im a car guy myself, but something like that would be low on my list of priorities. Id maintain my "frugal on the outside" appearance ;).
 
Back
Top Bottom