• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

In line at estate sale.

Yeah, it amazes me how many people are in looking at books at the sales we go to. It also amazes me how many books a lot of people in this area have...
 
Didn't have a chance. Gone in seconds at $300 bones. Crappy TT and tape deck. Speakers were unknown with Hughes crossover on the back??? The two danish modern chairs were $300 each! No deals here.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
 
My wife bought a 1962 ken doll with extras in the travel case. I got some old camping tents from the 50's.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
 
better luck next time mike. estate sales can be weird sometimes. i've seen jbl speakers worth $500 at most go for $1000. some people want to justify standing in line for hours by buying something that's way overpriced.
 
My wife bought a 1962 ken doll with extras in the travel case. I got some old camping tents from the 50's.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk


It's amazing how expensive old camping gear has gotten. Like a lot of other stuff it has become highly collectable.
 
better luck next time mike. estate sales can be weird sometimes. i've seen jbl speakers worth $500 at most go for $1000. some people want to justify standing in line for hours by buying something that's way overpriced.

and then there's the times like when I found a pair of sweet condition C36's that had been sitting there for 3 days until I saw them and talked them out of them for $75 :D
 
I know there are some killer scores to be had, but that whole nervously waiting in line at the crack of dawn to look over some dead guy's stuff thing is just too depressing. I just go after everything's been picked over and hope for the best.

So far I have scored a pair of minty AR3s (not 3as) for $300, an Akai A8 for $10, and a bunch of tube Bogens for almost nothing. It's a plus for living in one of the least sophisticated towns in America.
 
Down the road from me went to last day estate sale and bought a Sansui receiver and two set of Sansui speakers and a Sansui turntable...all with boxes....paid very little for it cause sellers wanted it to go!
 
I have found the best sales are the ones flying under the radar. Poorly advertised, run by the family, etc.

I agree. Around here, the better estate sale companies do a very good job researching value and they price things just inexpensively that they'll move, but not so cheap that anything is a steal. Disappointing as a bargain hunting buyer, but they are doing a good job maximizing the sales for their customer.

The inferior estate sale companies (of which there are two around here that really stand out) seem to price by the guess. Some stuff is ridiculously high, some stuff is way low. Not surprisingly, those sales seem to end with lots of stuff left over.
 
I bought a pair of very clean Altec Carmels at a sale once for $60. I went home to get my bigger vehicle and went back with my wife. She took one look at the speakers and said they were way too big and wouldn't fit in the house. She was unfortunately right, they were half the size of my living room! My wife got the money back and I left without the speakers. There were no previous sales on eBay and no AK at this time so I had no way of knowing how rare or valuable they were! Not my proudest moment and it still haunts me to this day!:tears: Moral of the story is never bring your wife to help you pick up an estate sale SCROE!
 
It's amazing how expensive old camping gear has gotten. Like a lot of other stuff it has become highly collectable.

I do a lot of camping with the VW bus club i am in. Try to keep everything period correct so i am always on the look out for camping stuff.


I go to a lot of estate sales and knew this one was going to be crazy. I try to hit the less advertised sales but this had the Barzilay. I have one just like it already but i could not resist the temptation of the hunt.

I also collect danish modern stuff so i had to go.
 
I know there are some killer scores to be had, but that whole nervously waiting in line at the crack of dawn to look over some dead guy's stuff thing is just too depressing.

+1...
BTW, someone mentioned dead guys' souls hang around their favorite items. May be he was joking. :bat:
Not that I agree but anyone haunted yet?:yippy::jawdrop:
 
Not to hijack the thread, but tell us more about the camping equipment. I have way too much myself, but it's so interesting. One of the things I always look for is Backpacker magazines and Annual Equipment issues from the 70s -- kind of like audio magazines from the 50s when no one knew what really worked and what didn't.
 
Here is a couple pictures of the tents.
I collect Sears stuff mostly. I have a bunch of sears lanterns and stoves.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1331344591998.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1331344591998.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 22
  • uploadfromtaptalk1331344605151.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1331344605151.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 16
  • uploadfromtaptalk1331344622523.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1331344622523.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 14
  • uploadfromtaptalk1331344634802.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1331344634802.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 21
  • uploadfromtaptalk1331344652134.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1331344652134.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 24
  • uploadfromtaptalk1331344665970.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1331344665970.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 32
Hey -- I've got one of those camp stoves! I assume they are Colemans painted blue and orange, but they look neat, and at least around here, they are much less common than Colemans.
 
Hey -- I've got one of those camp stoves! I assume they are Colemans painted blue and orange, but they look neat, and at least around here, they are much less common than Colemans.


Yep, they are made by Coleman for Sears. I have Coleman stuff also but the sears stuff is very cool.
It is actually blue and yellow. Maybe orange/yellow?
 
Back
Top Bottom