• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

In Need of AR-5 Replacement Woofer

frankj389

New Member
Hi,

Recently, I acquired a pair of Acoustic Research AR-5's and have come to learn that the woofers are not original (also my cat fell and placed a large hole in the woofer surround with his foot), so I need to get them replaced. I've been scouring eBay for a while now, and I cannot seem to find a listing for the exact AR-5 woofer. I've done some looking around and have seen that the p/n for these woofers should be #200004-3. Specifically, in this thread: https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/777-ar-timeline-dating/ , someone suggests that

"the 1970-version AR-2ax actually did not use the same woofer as the AR-5. There were some subtle differences in the cones and voice coils between the two and the crossover frequencies, of course, were different. The AR-2ax woofer was #200004-2 and the AR-5 (and LST/2) had #200004-3 (later #1200004-2 and -3). By the mid-80s, however, all the 10-inch woofers for the AR-2ax, AR-5, AR-8, AR-12 and AR-LST/2 were all the same, and all by this time had the ceramic magnet structures."

Going off of this, should it be fine if I got a set of woofers from a pair of AR-14's that have the p/n #200004-2? This is the listing I'm considering:https://www.ebay.com/itm/265405173657?hash=item3dcb618f99:g:NZoAAOSweeBhkRfb

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm in the same boat. Original parts are scarce, and I can't get a definite answer on rebuilding the one I have needing a new voice coil or modern replacements that will fit without modifying the cabinets.
 
Hi,

Recently, I acquired a pair of Acoustic Research AR-5's and have come to learn that the woofers are not original (also my cat fell and placed a large hole in the woofer surround with his foot), so I need to get them replaced. I've been scouring eBay for a while now, and I cannot seem to find a listing for the exact AR-5 woofer. I've done some looking around and have seen that the p/n for these woofers should be #200004-3. Specifically, in this thread: https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/777-ar-timeline-dating/ , someone suggests that

"the 1970-version AR-2ax actually did not use the same woofer as the AR-5. There were some subtle differences in the cones and voice coils between the two and the crossover frequencies, of course, were different. The AR-2ax woofer was #200004-2 and the AR-5 (and LST/2) had #200004-3 (later #1200004-2 and -3). By the mid-80s, however, all the 10-inch woofers for the AR-2ax, AR-5, AR-8, AR-12 and AR-LST/2 were all the same, and all by this time had the ceramic magnet structures."

Going off of this, should it be fine if I got a set of woofers from a pair of AR-14's that have the p/n #200004-2? This is the listing I'm considering:https://www.ebay.com/itm/265405173657?hash=item3dcb618f99:g:NZoAAOSweeBhkRfb

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat. Original parts are scarce, and I can't get a definite answer on rebuilding the one I have needing a new voice coil or modern replacements that will fit without modifying the cabinets.

Why not just use the universal replacement, at least for the time being? I'm
guessing it's going to be hard to tell the difference in that
and the originals.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've asked around about new replacements, but no one(forum user or retailer) has assured me that a direct drop-in option exists. Apparently the early 4 mounting hole version like I have are a different pattern than what's available new.
 
Sorry, I meant in the form of used units. Late version 4 hole 2ax woofers
come up a lot at auction. Early version (AR-2, AR-2a, etc) 10" woofers
were cloth surround and 6 hole, unless I'm not understanding the
distinction you make.
 
The cabinets of mine have 4 hole mounting. The woofers themselves are six hole. I've given dimensions and pictures to those in the know and still haven't come across a viable option for getting them making music again. Even a well known refurbished of AR speakers was not confident in being able to build a voice coil for my one dead unit.
 
Finding an AR-5 woofer is going to be pretty tough. Didn't sell enough for there to be many woofers around. I'd bet eBay would be your best source. If you could get the basic Thiele/Small parameters for the originals, there might be suitable substitutes from Just Speakers, Parts Express, or Madisound for you to compare.
Here's a start:
Acoustic Research AR-5 Specs:
Drive units: 254mm (10in) acoustic suspension woofer, 38 mm (1,5 in) midrange hemispherical dome, 19 mm (3/4in) high-frequency hemispherical dome
Crossover: 650 Hz, 5000 Hz
Impedance: 8 ohms nominal
Controls: Midrange and high-frequency driver level controls
Amplifier: Up to 100 watts per channel
Size: 343 x 610 x 292 mm deep (13,5 x 24 x 11,5 in)
Weight: 17,8 kg (39lb)
Woofer resonance: Free air 26 Hz, in enclosure 56 Hz
Volume of enclosure: 38,2 liters (1.35 cu ft.).
 
The AR2ax woofer is the same as the woofer used in the AR 5.
 

Attachments

  • 28EEA1B7-C57F-43CE-9499-70BC47ECA282.png
    28EEA1B7-C57F-43CE-9499-70BC47ECA282.png
    342.3 KB · Views: 41
The AR2ax woofer is the same as the woofer used in the AR 5.
Unfortunately, text and small printing on schematics is usually too small for AK photo size limits. You may need to take three or four closer pictures.
 
Initially, the woofer in the AR-5 was different from the AR 2ax in that it had a foam surround that was unique for AR at the time. After 1970, the AR-5 and the 2ax used the same woofer, but they were crossed over at different frequencies.
 
L
Unfortunately, text and small printing on schematics is usually too small for AK photo size limits. You may need to take three or four closer pictures.
Lets try this. It’s from a Acoustic Research brochure.
 

Attachments

  • 2E59AAD0-DB96-4F39-BB74-548CB8428E3A.jpeg
    2E59AAD0-DB96-4F39-BB74-548CB8428E3A.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 52
I wanted to bump this thread with some new info.

As stated above, I had been looking for a pair of new replacement woofers for my Goodwill Find AR5s. I finally went ahead and ordered a pair of PRO 031s from Human Speakers. I took delivery of them this evening and confirmed that they perfectly fit the 4 hole mounting of my cabinets. Specs on them look good to my eyes, but the proof will have to wait until tomorrow when I can get around to mounting them.
 
That woofer looks like it is going to be a significant upgrade for the AR-5 with a
in box resonance Fc and a raised back plate for more Xmech. The DC resistance
looks a bit low, it might match better with some series resistance to load the XO
properly and raise the system Q in the fairly large box.
 
I wanted to bump this thread with some new info.

As stated above, I had been looking for a pair of new replacement woofers for my Goodwill Find AR5s. I finally went ahead and ordered a pair of PRO 031s from Human Speakers. I took delivery of them this evening and confirmed that they perfectly fit the 4 hole mounting of my cabinets. Specs on them look good to my eyes, but the proof will have to wait until tomorrow when I can get around to mounting them.
Hi there,
I am in your situation today. I have a pair of AR-14s that I purchased from the original owner. They have the same or very similar woofers. The PN paper fell inside the cabinet and I don't seem to find it now.

I did a refoam and the speakers came to life. What a beautiful sound, they blow me away. For some unknown reason (kids that like loud music), one of the woofers started rubbing against the cone and the sound is distorted now.

I did come across this video and, I may have to carry out the work to fix the problem. Unfortunately, they would need to be refoamed again!

Anyhow, I also can’t find anything good as a replacement and wanted to ask if you like the new woofers? Also, do you have your old woofers?
Thanks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7619.jpeg
    IMG_7619.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7618.jpeg
    IMG_7618.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7635.jpeg
    IMG_7635.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7636.jpeg
    IMG_7636.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7638.jpeg
    IMG_7638.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7642.jpeg
    IMG_7642.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7645.jpeg
    IMG_7645.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
You might be able to save that woofer with a new surround, using shims on
the voice coil this time.

Thanks for writing back, The foam was purchased on eBay last time. I found a low cost foam supplier near me. Do they differ in quality? What should I be looking for when purchasing new foam?

I will give it a second try, I must save them.
 
You might be able to save that woofer with a new surround, using shims on
the voice coil this time.
I placed an order for new surrounds today.
The speakers were fine after replacing the original foam. They worked well for 6 months. I am afraid that I may have to get deeper into the voice coil this time.
 
Back
Top Bottom