• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

In Need of AR-5 Replacement Woofer

Sounds like only one needs attention.
Yes, my kids blasted the amp and now the left speaker sounds bad. I may have to look into the voice core this time.

I couldn’t find a spare woofer anywhere online but I could definitely use one.
 
The Advent Legacy 10" woofer might make a good replacement, or the 10" Boston Acoustics
as a last resort. I believe that these will provide more extension.
Be sure to get the 8 ohm version, original, and Legacy II are different.
 
If we're talking alternatives, the AR-2ax woofer with the foam
surround is probably close enough I doubt you'll notice it's
not from an AR-5. Those are much more plentiful than the
original.
 
If we're talking alternatives, the AR-2ax woofer with the foam
surround is probably close enough I doubt you'll notice it's
not from an AR-5. Those are much more plentiful than the
original.
This is a good suggestion, however; I would have to replace both woofers to make them sing correctly. The cost is prohibitib.
 
I got the new surrounds and I am getting ready to tackle it now. I see that I need to remove the cover over the voice coil to align it correctly before attaching the new foam.
Here is the question, how do I remove the round piece over the voice coil? My woofers don't have the raised dome, the center piece is just flat.
Thanks
 
There are methods that don't require shimming, running a 30hz tone will center the woofer adequately in many cases.

But if you do decide to shim, cutting the dome out would likely be your only option.
 
Cut the dome 90 or 95% of the way off, leaving a hinge. Makes getting it
positioned right a lot easier.
 
There are methods that don't require shimming, running a 30hz tone will center the woofer adequately in many cases.

But if you do decide to shim, cutting the dome out would likely be your only option.
Wow, I could not have dreamt of this solution.
How much amplitude does it need?
 
Wow, I could not have dreamt of this solution.
How much amplitude does it need?
Not much. You can run it off your stereo, I use a signal generator and external amp. but phone apps and a receiver will work as well. 30hz will get anything jumping, so turn it up slowly. How much will be kinda apparent; you want it to move enough to tug and pull the surround into place.

I'm sure there are videos out there that explain it better. I've fixed dozens of drivers, some were absolute nightmares but none required shimming.
 
Not much. You can run it off your stereo, I use a signal generator and external amp. but phone apps and a receiver will work as well. 30hz will get anything jumping, so turn it up slowly. How much will be kinda apparent; you want it to move enough to tug and pull the surround into place.

I'm sure there are videos out there that explain it better. I've fixed dozens of drivers, some were absolute nightmares but none required shimming.
I have a stand alone generator with gain control knob. I can see the speaker responding to the applied frequency. I will certainly try this method with future refoam applications.

On a different note, I received the new foam which I ordered from a supplier in BC, Canada. It has significantly less density compared to the foam that I received from the US supplier in Old Hickery, Tennessee. It was advertised for the model AR-2Ax but it says that it can be used with AR-14 woofer. The website says that it has less density but it works well and properly!
Now I don’t know if I should give it a try or place an order from the US supplier?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
 
Hello All,

I received the new foam which I ordered from a supplier in BC, Canada. It was significantly cheaper than getting it from a US supplier. It also has significantly less density compared to the foam that I received from the US supplier in Old Hickery, Tennessee. The new foam was advertised for the model AR-2ax but it says that it can also be used with AR-14 woofer. The website indeed confirms that it has less density but it also assures that it works well and properly!

Now I don’t know if I should give it a try or place an order from the US supplier?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom