• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infinity 4000 Speakers (1975)

turnitup

No, the stereo won’t break the crystal...Oh CRAP!
I just picked a nice vintage pair of Infinity 4000 speakers. Not the RS-4000's, they are simply model 4000 from the mid 70's (simple 3-ways). The foam is out on the woofers, but I can't find any parts listings for the surrounds Seems that Infinity liked the "4000" model number (looks like they have 3 separate speakers with this model number) I'm looking for surrounds for the 12" woofer. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes, Loquatious, those are the speakers. I'm anxious to get them restored. I bought them from a man who had obviously rarely used them. They are in absolutely beautiful condition except for the surrounds. Was a little surprised/disappointed to see the paper cone tweeters, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. They seem to have been built around some of the best model years for Infinity, but I assume they are somewhat of a mid-model unit. My first foray into Infinity. Bought them with the little 40 watt amp/tuner combo that had been running them since their birth back in the disco years, so I know that they haven't been driven very hard. I love to restore this stuff back to it's glory days. The cabinets are a very nice wood veneer and the cloth grills are original and like new. Fun stuff... New surrounds and maybe a few new caps, and I'll give them a run for the money. Thanks for the feedback and pics!
 
those cone tweeters might be peerless units, if so they are truly excellent for a cone tweeter. many speakers in the 70's used them infinity included.
 
infinity 4000 speakers

infinity 4000 speakers were a speaker that was an exclusive for
Pacific Stereo in California.
the speaker is exactly the same as the Infinity 3000 that was
sold by all other retailers.
hope this helps
 
I pulled the woofers out this week, getting ready to order/replace the surrounds and the capacitors. There was a 3.5uf and what looked to be a 25uf capacitor in them (one each). I was surprised at the 25uf capacitor as that seems like a huge capacitor for this type of speaker - the largest I've run into. I'm wondering if it isn't really a 2.5uf capacitor that is simply marked poorly (missing a decimal?). Does anyone have any information or specs on the Infinity 3000 or Infinity 4000 (made specifically for Pacific Stereo) around 1975? Guess they were one in the same... Size wise, the capacitors were about the same size (girth/width) but who knows - they were different brands. Thanks in advance!
 
I've got a friend who has the 4000's. They are great speakers. I've got a pair of 1001A's. they sound really good. I tried researching them, but there isn't much info out there on them. I take it Pacific Stereo was thee stereo shop in California?
 
These speakers do indeed have a Peerless cone tweeter. When I was helping friends shop for stereo systems back in the late 1970's I often steered them towards these speakers (or the model 3000 at Cal Stereo which had different colored grill cloth) when possible as they were a great value for the money. The doped paper cone midrange drivers have a few noticeable response peaks but overall the sound is quite good.

The 25 uf cap is for the midrange driver and means they were crossing it over at a fairly low frequency. Have fun!
 
Well... Yesterday I wrote a large paragraph describing the Infinity 3000 speakers I had just restored.. to share what all it takes to restore well.. and only mentioned that I will probably sell them.. I did NOT write an ad to sell them here or solicit any buyers etc, and damn if the AK police didn't DELETE my post! What a waste of time.. wonder who the TROLL was?? Unbelievable!
eh new member. only 7 posts. maybe it was deserved maybe not.
 
eh new member. only 7 posts. maybe it was deserved maybe not.
I'm not a new member! I've collected and restored vintage audio for 30 years and was sharing some good info about my Infinity 3000's I just restored! some whiner/troll must have acted like the ak police.. ridiculous.
 
Where was your post, 1unc? What you describe doing is against the rules in the Dollars and Sense forum. Was it your own thread, or did you piggyback onto someone else's old thread like you did here?

Deleting an entire paragraph instead of just the relatively small offending part does seem heavy-handed, but I don't know what keystrokes are required for them to edit someone else's post. It's possible that removing an entire paragraph is far easier for them than selectively removing a small portion.
 
Where was your post, 1unc? What you describe doing is against the rules in the Dollars and Sense forum. Was it your own thread, or did you piggyback onto someone else's old thread like you did here?

Deleting an entire paragraph instead of just the relatively small offending part does seem heavy-handed, but I don't know what keystrokes are required for them to edit someone else's post. It's possible that removing an entire paragraph is far easier for them than selectively removing a small portion.
It was posted right here as part of this thread since this was a discussion about the Infinity 4000 or 3000 model... My paragraph simply outlined that I had just completed restoring a pair of model 3000 speakers and what all I did...maybe 6 sentences, and then maybe 1, final sentence saying I was probably going to sell them and for how much...purely as informative... the post was NOT a For Sale ad.....it's that simple.
 
This subforum seems to have no rules particular only to itself, but is under the general AK rules which state that offers to sell may only go in the BarterTown subforum.

I can see how mentioning that you will probably sell something and especially including the price could be interpreted as an offer to sell.

In Dollars and Sense, the clearly written rules leave no doubt that your comment wouldn't have been ok there, but there isn't here.

I can sympathize. I've lost postings over which I'd labored long, only to have them disappear before I hit Post Reply. It sucks when you've made an effort to get it just right, and then it's just gone.
 
Back
Top Bottom