• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infinity Reference 6 and Reference 2's

Vintageman1

Well-Known Member
I think the last time I heard an Infinity speaker was way back in 1974, the Monitor with the Walsh driver up top if my memory still serves me right.
This weekend I picked up a pair of Reference 6's and a pair of Reference 2's.
Since the foam in both pairs need to be redone, a real listening test was not in the cards. I purchased them without really knowing what they sounded like. The drivers have all been removed and shipped for new foam. I believe these were from the early 90's but thats about all I know.
Can anyone fill me in on the specs of these units and if anyone has heard these units, can you give me your impressions on them? Don't be afraid to be honest. Any help would be truly appreciated...............Dave
 

Attachments

  • 2009_07282InfinityRef60023.jpg
    2009_07282InfinityRef60023.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 134
Register to hide this ad
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64449

the Infinity forum has a wealth of information to be searched out, as well as highly qualified opinions that will be provided shortly I'm sure..a pair of Reference 4's were one of my earlier pair of Infinity speakers, and I loved how they sounded.... I've yet to listen to a pair of these speakers that did not require abundant power to make them perform to their potential, particularly with a ten inch woofer, but feed them well, and you'll be richly rewarded :thmbsp:
 
Well, unless I did something wrong, I thought I had posted in the Infinity Forum. If I screwed up, maybe one of the mods will step in and move it for me.
I am in the market for a new amp but initially it will be hooked up to a Carver receiver which is 130 a side. Should be plenty enough for now given the fact I do not listen a high SPL's anymore.
 
I wasn't trying to lead you to the Infinity Forum..it's a link to a thread about Ref 6 speakers....

Sorry, my 50 year old eyes missed your link. I have gone through many postings on the Infinity site and have not found what I was looking for yet.
I found even when I googled these models there was very little info. What I have noticed is that Infinity used the "Reference" designation so much over so many years it gets confusing. Everything from home speakers to car speakers and amps. I included a pic to help narrow it down for identity purposes. The link you gave seems positive so far. From what I have read so far in the Infinity Forum, there are some of the Infinity lines over the years that were not that good and others highly favorable. I know eventually I will have to make up my own mind on this but was looking for a bit of a heads up.....................Dave
 
Here's some info from Infinity's website:

Reference 6
Frequency Response 35Hz - 40kHz (+/-3dB)
Crossover Frequency(ies) 200Hz, 1.5kHz, 4kHz
Sensitivity 90dB (1 watt/1 meter)
Nominal Impedance 6 ohms
Power Rating 35 - 225 watts
Woofer 10" (25.4cm) IMG
Mid-Bass Driver 6" (15.2cm) IMG
Midrange Driver 5" (12.7cm)
Tweeter EMIT-R

Reference 2
Frequency Response 50Hz - 25kHz
Crossover Frequency(ies) 3000Hz
Sensitivity 90dB (1 watt/1 meter)
Nominal Impedance 6 ohms
Power Rating 15 - 100 watts
Woofer 8" (20.3cm) IMG
Tweeter 1" (2.5cm) Polycell

Here's a link to an Owner's Manual for both speakers.

I have not heard either of these speakers, but would venture to say that these will sound pretty good. The Ref 6, in particular, was one of the last models to use the famous EMIT tweeter, albeit the later EMIT-R (for Round). A version of this tweeter is still used today in the mega-buck Genesis Technologies speakers. The Ref 6 also looks to be a sealed box design, so the bass should be tight and fast, and not boomy or flabby. And yes, these will probably benefit from some power.

I think you did okay.
 
Excellent info. The box is indeed sealed. The sensitivity rating shows that it should not be that hard to drive. The 6 ohm spec. makes it safe for most amps as well. I have put a PM into Bolly to see what the MSRP was on these. I may have to follow a few auctions to see what there current value would be. The 6's are rather large but I will try and make them work. When removing the drivers, I was trying to determine whether the finish was vinyl or veneer. Hard to tell. If it's veneer, they did a hell of a nice job with them. I also noted the mids and woofers were nicely and appropriately sealed in there own individual enclosure. All in all, very nicely built and attractive.
 
I received a PM from "Bolly". According to him, the Reference 6's sold for $500.00 each and the Model 2's sold for $329. a pair. Both were made between 91 and 93.
Thanks Greg!!
 
Thanks for the link Kencat! Now I am getting a bit more excited to hear them. I do believe in my previous post that Bolly was correct @ $500 a piece U.S.. I am not sure of the Canadian price though. :scratch2:

I have had a pair of Reference Sixes since '91. Gone through a bunch of AVRs before I found one that really matched well. The woofer may drop down to 2 ohms. My first AVR, a cheap Pioneer with 100 Wpc drew too much on base and clipped. Fortunately the EMIT-Rs have a circuit breaker in the crossover rather than a fuse. I replaced it a year later with a heftier Pioneer AVR and it didn't clip, but did not sound all that great. In 1997 or so, I bought a Yamaha DSP-A1 and the speakers came into their own. Currently I own eight Reference Sixes, with the majority being powered by a Yamaha RX-Z11. The Z11 is OK, but not as good as the A1 in driving them.

Tech sheet at http://manuals.harman.com/INF/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/RS%20Six%20ts.pdf
 
Back
Top Bottom