• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infinity wave transmission line column speaker

I would try to copy the original design as close as possible. The woofers were designed to be pointed at the floor; you'll get the most accurate sound that way.
 
I will do that, but one question is the way they are set up the woofer would be directly on the floor. The bottom has dowel holes is there a spacer to lift it off the ground slightly?
 
This restoration thread shows stands, but that might have been a different version. The below pic shows what I assume are U-shaped bases, which is probably what yours are meant to have. The slots look like they're about twice the thickness of the wood, so you can make your calculations based on that.

936208-infinity-wtlc-wave-transmission-line-column-speakers-with-walsh-tweeters.jpg
 
Who ever had these before used the bases as stands. They turned them upside down, put a swivel plate on them and attached it to a second set of covers to elevate the speaker and was able to swivel them in different directions. I took those apart this weekend and installed them with dowels as in the picture above.
 

Attachments

  • infinity2.jpg
    infinity2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 58845798444__61DAF747-78E2-4E1E-81BE-D4F318AD0BDF.JPG
    58845798444__61DAF747-78E2-4E1E-81BE-D4F318AD0BDF.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 28
I picked up a pair of WTLC on CL myself, too. They seem to have an issue with fuse connection. I replaced the fuses with new ones, but the speakers are temperamental and they refuse to play properly sometimes. When they play normally, they produce beautiful sounds. What do you folks think are the problems with my WTLC?
Sorry for a newbie question as I’m not mechanically-inclined and have no idea how speakers work.

Thanks for your input!
 
"They refuse to play properly".
What does that mean?
NO SOUND at all?
Only some individual drivers are making sound?

Crossover issues like broken solder joints, maybe bad capacitors. I think there is a mid range adjustment l-pad that might need cleaning, those do go bad.
Check the fuse holders for clamping pressure on the ends of the fuse, if they are a little loose the fuse may lose contact on one end or the other.
The Walsh "ice cream cone" super tweeters do go bad as well, might want to check them with a multi meter, Check the Walsh foam as well just to make sure it is present and what condition it is in.
That ought to get you started.
 
IMG_7181.jpg IMG_7179.jpg IMG_7178.jpg IMG_7162.jpg
I have finished the refoams of all 4 woofers and I have refinished the cabinets. There seems to be a lot of insulation in the cabs is that how they come? Any way to clean the covers? they are in good condition just a little dirty..
 
Last edited:
"They refuse to play properly".
What does that mean?
NO SOUND at all?
Only some individual drivers are making sound?

Crossover issues like broken solder joints, maybe bad capacitors. I think there is a mid range adjustment l-pad that might need cleaning, those do go bad.
Check the fuse holders for clamping pressure on the ends of the fuse, if they are a little loose the fuse may lose contact on one end or the other.
The Walsh "ice cream cone" super tweeters do go bad as well, might want to check them with a multi meter, Check the Walsh foam as well just to make sure it is present and what condition it is in.
That ought to get you started.

Guess he/she figured it out as he/she hasn't been back since.
 
View attachment 1661246 View attachment 1661245 View attachment 1661244 View attachment 1661243
I have finished the refoams of all 4 woofers and I have refinished the cabinets. There seems to be a lot of insulation in the cabs is that how they come? Any way to clean the covers? they are in good condition just a little dirty..

Don't know about earlier Infinitys but the RS series had a very generous amount of stuffing. Like stuffed and fluffed to almost touching the woofers.
 
Hello everybody, I have a pair Column WTLC that I bought 1974. I learn that I should replace capacitors as they age by time. Do you know where I can find these? According to picture seems they are two paralell but not sure if they are equal. Help please!
 

Attachments

  • B14680B8-1551-45C1-8061-0C95EF750E76.jpeg
    B14680B8-1551-45C1-8061-0C95EF750E76.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 13
  • E5275BE9-B1DC-48BF-B9CA-95CD77BB8147.jpeg
    E5275BE9-B1DC-48BF-B9CA-95CD77BB8147.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 13
  • A44EEC77-9FD2-4F3F-9C80-855171AC6A56.jpeg
    A44EEC77-9FD2-4F3F-9C80-855171AC6A56.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 2D736332-C2DB-40EC-AAD8-82EE90227970.jpeg
    2D736332-C2DB-40EC-AAD8-82EE90227970.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 10
Welcome, Rune.
Those capacitors should be fine, still.
One cap is for the Peerless "mid" the other for the Walsh tweeter.
I still have the original caps on my WTLC's and the speakers sound great.
 
Thanks for your prompt reply! I am glad there is no need for replacement. Can confirm that my speakers also sound great. Greetings! Rune
 
Back
Top Bottom