• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Inherited Audio Equipment

Craig's and our local online Buy and Sell are basically dead around here. Market Place has taken over as the go-to online shopping/selling site and no wonder as FB has over 5 billion users world wide and even some long time FB haters I know have seen the light and are now MP users.

All of my vintage stereo purchases in the last five years have been found on MP but one receiver was from Ebay in Britain as the seller wouldn't ship to the USA, which narrowed down the bidders and enabled me to snipe it.

What I don't like about MP is it's like a rolling billboard, meaning if you see an interesting item one day, you'll have to scroll down a long way to find it the next day. The best way to save it is to ad it to your bookmarks list or save it to your saved list on MP. As for FB itself, I keep two tabs pinned on my PC, one for FB chat and the other for MP, which gets used a lot more than the FB chat one.
 
Only actual SOLD prices. Use the appropriate filter to view them.

Don't rely on "Buy-It-Now" fixed prices in active listings which are often unrealistic.



-You could say that to put it mildly. Shipping large floor standing speakers is extremely difficult due to size, weight and cost. You really need to be a pro in order to package speakers safely and securely. Unless you really know what you're doing, I'd advise against it.

Shipping electronics can be difficult too, again depending on size, weight etc. Would not recommend selling through eBay except through a "Classified Ad" listing with DIRECT in-person payment and local pick up. Payment through eBay I would strongly advise against because you will be at the mercy of them and the buyer who eBay will always side with.

Best advice is to become an AK Subscriber which will unlock the Bartertown subforum for listing equipment for sale. There is also the option of FB Marketplace which has worked for me.
Thank you, this is very informative. I'm now only looking at recently sold prices. It's gonna be tough for the speakers by the sounds of it, one set are large "scoops" (heard my friend call them that many times) that are roughly 4 feet tall and another set are the same size but aren't scoops. They weigh a ton!
 
I'd find an audio friend and get an idea of what you have, the stories of unknown stuff being tossed, and being worth a small fortune, is all over the internet.

Homemade speaker cabinets might have some value, the drivers (the "speaker") might be worth a lot more and easier to ship. Some older cabinets might look homemade but are production models, my Klipsch Heresys have exposed plywood edges, they're production but don't look like it.

Selling locally can be very difficult, no shows and low-ballers and a limited market but online can be just as difficult. I'd check for a local consignment shop, those are starting to pop up. Good luck!
Thank you for the reply, everyone has been really helpful! Luckily, my friend spent a significant amount of time explaining how valuable some of the items are, so I know not to throw away things willy nilly!

When it comes to drivers, do brands make a difference on price? If so, is there an easy way to determine what brand they are?
 
Last edited:
Craig's and our local online Buy and Sell are basically dead around here. Market Place has taken over as the go-to online shopping/selling site and no wonder as FB has over 5 billion users world wide and even some long time FB haters I know have seen the light and are now MP users.

All of my vintage stereo purchases in the last five years have been found on MP but one receiver was from Ebay in Britain as the seller wouldn't ship to the USA, which narrowed down the bidders and enabled me to snipe it.

What I don't like about MP is it's like a rolling billboard, meaning if you see an interesting item one day, you'll have to scroll down a long way to find it the next day. The best way to save it is to ad it to your bookmarks list or save it to your saved list on MP. As for FB itself, I keep two tabs pinned on my PC, one for FB chat and the other for MP, which gets used a lot more than the FB chat one.
By the sounds of it, I might have to end my hatred for FB and use it. Thanks for the info!
 
Definitely consider subscribing which only costs you $25 per year and allows you to sell items to other members in the BarterTown forum. You also get access to four other sub-forums in BarterTown.
The $25 also helps covers expenses and helps keep Audiokarma afloat!
I think I'll end up doing that, my only concern is that I'm in Montreal, Canada and I don't know how many people frequent the forum from my general area for easy sales/pick ups. It doesn't help that I don't drive either :/
 
When considering ebay prices you have to consider the fees they will take off the top, the risk of unscrupulous buyers and that it may have taken 6 months for them to get their asking price.

As for shipping. If its the original box with original foam support then please put it in another box so the shipping gorillas cant damage it as that is part of the value. I have received more than my fair share of vintage gear through the mail and the ones that always arrive damaged are the ones that are flopping around in the box. I have actually received 2 items without any type padding that arrived fine but there was no room for it to slam around inside. Use foam wrap or bubble wrap, wrap it tightly and be sure it fits tightly into the box. If its an expensive or heavy item use double walled boxes.
Awesome, this is really great advice, thank you so much!
 
Not knowing your local market which in most instances is the best place to sell. Being one of a cash transaction nature and once done is over 99% of the time.

Any sales with shipping involved has disadvantages that can become quickly costly.

One avenue that seems to be getting insane prices at the moment is your local online auction houses. They do have fee's associated with the service but handle all the listing selling shipping and payments. One stop selling for a novice seller/shipper. I have zero experiences with one and hope others who do will answer with comments.

I would try first a advertised estates sale on places like FBMP and Craigs List with plenty of pictures.
Thanks for the reply. If it's not against AK rules, can you name the auction houses? If it's against the rules, no worries! I'm in Canada though, I hope any of the auction places work here as well
 
Thank you for the reply, everyone has been really helpful! Luckily, my friend spent a significant amount of time explaining how valuable some of the items are, so I know not to throw away things willy nilly!

When it comes other drivers, do brands make a difference on price? If so, is there an easy way to determine what brand they are?
Some drivers are very desirable. JBL, Altec, Stephens, and even some Cerwin-Vega come immediately to mind. They tend to put their logo on them somewhere. There are also EIA numbers, but not all manufacturers were thoughtful enough to stamp their EIA on their products.
Thanks for the reply. If it's not against AK rules, can you name the auction houses? If it's against the rules, no worries! I'm in Canada though, I hope any of the auction places work here as well
It's okay to say "ebay" out loud here. It's not OK to link to affiliated ebay listings.
 
By the sounds of it, I might have to end my hatred for FB and use it. Thanks for the info!

I have not sold or bought anything yet (I do look for things like very large Altec speakers that I can't afford and don't need ;) ), but I joined FB strictly for local sales on Market place.
 
Last edited:
Some drivers are very desirable. JBL, Altec, Stephens, and even some Cerwin-Vega come immediately to mind. They tend to put their logo on them somewhere. There are also EIA numbers, but not all manufacturers were thoughtful enough to stamp their EIA on their products.

It's okay to say "ebay" out loud here. It's not OK to link to affiliated ebay listings.
Okay awesome, I'll have to do some looking, but I believe most of the drivers are JBL.
 
Post #13 recommended Us Audio Mart which I have used. It's free.

They're partners with Canuck Audio Mart.

You should look into both.
 
Thanks for the reply. If it's not against AK rules, can you name the auction houses? If it's against the rules, no worries! I'm in Canada though, I hope any of the auction places work here as well
Local to you have no clue.
Best search online and watch a few auctions to see the selling prices plus sellers fees charged. It might be worth a drive to use one that gets better results.
 
if you could post a few pics that will help us determine what you have

Agree, all of the equipment but especially the homemade speakers and drivers.

Welcome to AK and condolences on the passing of your friend.
 
Back
Top Bottom