• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Interconnects to amp and CD...what are you using?

jdandy

Super Member
Banned
There are so many high end, exotic interconnect cables available. That got me to wondering what folks were using between the preamp and amp, and the preamp and the CD.

I have been using Tributaries Silver Series balanced cables, as well as their unbalanced cables for years with excellent results, although I am sure there are higher end cables available.

What cables are you presently using, and how do they improve your sound?
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm using Audioquest XLR Cheetah and Audiotruth (Audioquest) Diamond interconnects. These are silver wire interconnects and they sound great with fantastic detail but my system sometimes sounds a little harsh.

I was thinking of getting some good copper XLR interconnects, maybe something from Shunyata. Anyone have recommendations for a good copper XLR interconnect?
 
Everytime I see AudioQuest I think big dollars. I once saw some AudioQuest Everest speaker cables, one 6 foot pair was $8900. Are the AudioQuest interconnects any where near that expensive?
 
For all interconnects & speaker cables, I'm using a very unique product called Mosiac Chimera from Dale Pitcher (Intuitive Designs) which utilizes carbon nanotubes (sealed in wood blocks). CNT's are grown in labs and these copper cables were made in concert with Jack Bybee (signature on each wood block).

A quote from Stereo Times where they made their “Stereo Times 2007 Most Wanted Components Award” under “Accessories.” Stereo Times contributor Kee Kim states that they “utilize nano-tube carbon elements in the modules at the terminations. The manufacturer does this to (among other things) provide for improved electron symmetry at the terminations. The Mosaic Chimera cables had a natural, open, airy sound and an ability to draw you into the music.”

The new versions of these cables still utilize CNT's but do not have those uniquely signed signature blocks by Jack.

I have owned Nordost Valhalla & did not care for them in the least -- another example in this leisure that best is not equivalent with cost.
 

Attachments

  • Chimera Nano Tube Blocks 003.JPG
    Chimera Nano Tube Blocks 003.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 72
Everytime I see AudioQuest I think big dollars. I once saw some AudioQuest Everest speaker cables, one 6 foot pair was $8900. Are the AudioQuest interconnects any where near that expensive?
Mine had a retail price of about $1000-$2000 each (1 and 2 meter lengths). I got the 3 Audioquest XLR interconnects used in a trade for my MIT Oracle 2.1 RCA interconnect. I'm all balanced now and no longer have any need for RCA interconnects.
 
There are so many high end, exotic interconnect cables available. That got me to wondering what folks were using between the preamp and amp, and the preamp and the CD.

I have been using Tributaries Silver Series balanced cables, as well as their unbalanced cables for years with excellent results, although I am sure there are higher end cables available.

What cables are you presently using, and how do they improve your sound?

Wireworld cables here. Simply unbelievable IMHO. They improve the sound in many aspects: transparency, 3-dimensionality, improved dynamic range. Must be heard to be believed.

Bybee products compliment them very nicely as well.
 
Are the Carbon Nanotube elements only at the termination points, while the length of cable is copper?
 
I'm one of those non-believers but decided to give it a go and recently purchased Transparent MusicLink Super Unbalanced - retail for $695. Wasn't impressed so I then purchased Blue Jeans BJC LC-1 for $30 and did a compare. No difference. The Transparents will be appearing on Audiogon shortly. I also use MIT AVT2. No big shakes there as well. I think the Blue Jeans are keepers.
 
Are the Carbon Nanotube elements only at the termination points, while the length of cable is copper?

That's correct a CNT Module at each end of the cable, approximately 5 inches from the actual termination. I was told by one of those individuals that each module houses 60,000 CNT's (they apparently buy them by the K's) & should I take a hack saw to the module to count 'em, that if any got on my skin, they are small enough to penetrate the skin pores -- result -- get awfully sick (and not the LuFlu kind neither).:yikes:

To elaborate since it's a new technology -- Nasa has a $11M contract out to Rice University to build a 1 meter power cord strictly out of CNT's --
 
I have been using Analysis Plus but am currently in the process of switching over to MIT Magnums. I like what MIT did when I switched to their speaker wire so now I am going with their interconnects.
 
I have been using Analysis Plus but am currently in the process of switching over to MIT Magnums. I like what MIT did when I switched to their speaker wire so now I am going with their interconnects.
I have been thinking about ordering a Magnum MA XLR interconnect. If you get the Magnums let me know how you like them. I have been impressed with MIT speakers wires and RCA interconnects but have not tried their XLR interconnects yet.
 
Looking through my Parts Express catalog today, I saw they have balanced cables called Sonic Wave, twisted pair, sheided, silver plated OFC wire, silver soldered at connectors, gold plated xlr connectors, under $50.00 for 25' length. I could always cut to length and resolder. My Tributaries have all the same features, but cost $250 each. I might have to purchase a pair to see if there's anything there.
 
MIT AVt MA interconnects and Goertz AG2 speakers cables, but my AVt MA speaker cables should be here next week.
 
To elaborate since it's a new technology -- Nasa has a $11M contract out to Rice University to build a 1 meter power cord strictly out of CNT's --

And why am I not surprised.
This from the folks that buy $1000 toilet seats, etc.

PT Barnum lives on....
 
And why am I not surprised.
This from the folks that buy $1000 toilet seats, etc.PT Barnum lives on....

I've never known technology advancements to be inexpensive. Beats giving the money to pork barrel projects. The USAF bought the seats (I don't think pre-Skylab astronauts took their suits off and grabbed a newspaper:D).
 
I am using a combination of Guerilla (on this forum's suggestion) Tributaries and Audioquest (the latter for digital coax only). The speaker cables are 99.999 OFC (Oxigen Free Copper) DIYs.

Frankly, the system sounds just right these days, so little motivation for me to go and change cables (last famous words :D).

Alberto

PS I also have Guerilla AC cords
 
Back
Top Bottom