• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Interconnects to amp and CD...what are you using?

The best IC's I've used so far hands down are the Kimber Select 1021, but they're quite expensive. A far less expensive, but great, option, is the Anti Cable interconnects.

FWIW I've found that I get the best results using un-shielded cables when dealing with anything but my turntable setup, of course.
 
For interconnects I ordered up some Kimber Kable Hero's a few months ago. A little laid back but still manages to put out gentle but very distinct details. Of course anything was better on my system than those awful Monster Interlink 300/400's. The bass was just plain sloppy and the treble sounded fuzzy by comparison. For speaker cables I got a good deal on some MITerminator 2 Bi-Wires about 6 years ago. Took a while top break in but they finally did.

Well.. I'm not getting fuzzy highs or sloppy bass, but coloration in the vocals range. Not sure if it's those 13 pair of Interlink 400's or not. There are so many ICs.. from Fixed and Variable outputs, to External Processors, and even graphic and speaker equalizers! {arrg} Still can't tell if my speakers `color´ the human voice, or they are just brutally revealing as many reviews have stated. :scratch2:

My old system is due for a serious checkup, tuneup and update. Thing is, I could never figure out what was with those directional arrows on the I-400?? Is one side grounded to the outer conductor? They have white tape rings with black arrows that greatly assist with TO and FROM connections (makes things easy to see) but there has never been any clear explanation about the directionality (arrows are even printed on the cable jacket.)

As for the 10AWG oxygen free zip cable, I bought 86 feet of that clear-jacket stuff back in Jan 1988 for 0.75 per foot (total 69.02 with tax) and cut it into main, out-feed, and relay jumper lengths. Be assured they are all broken in now!!!! :D :scratch2:


-Gregory

MR80, MCD7007, C33, MC2205, Thiel CS3.5
 
Thing is, I could never figure out what was with those directional arrows on the I-400?? Is one side grounded to the outer conductor? They have white tape rings with black arrows that greatly assist with TO and FROM connections (makes things easy to see) but there has never been any clear explanation about the directionality (arrows are even printed on the cable jacket.)

Most people will tell you that the arrows indicate a grounded end of the cable, but a lot of companies insist that you must always use the cables with the signal flowing in the same direction, and the arrows help you make sure that's what you're doing.
 
All of my monster cables have the arrows.

If you have any audio-buddies, ask them for a drink of water, and when they leave the room, switch the IC direction.

If they can realize what you've done by sound only, I'll eat my hat :D
 
All of my monster cables have the arrows.

If you have any audio-buddies, ask them for a drink of water, and when they leave the room, switch the IC direction.

If they can realize what you've done by sound only, I'll eat my hat :D

In most cases, probably not. In a couple cases, if you reversed the direction of the signal flow, a good interconnect suddenly sounded like garbage. Go figure.
 
Nordost RED Dawn Cd player to Preamp. Nordost Blue Heaven Preamp to power amp. Purchased used off Audiogon and Canuckaudiomart.

I believe in using the better cable before the to preamp. The lesser pre to power, any thoughts on this?
 
Nordost RED Dawn Cd player to Preamp. Nordost Blue Heaven Preamp to power amp. Purchased used off Audiogon and Canuckaudiomart.

I believe in using the better cable before the to preamp. The lesser pre to power, any thoughts on this?

Common wisdom says the best cable should go between turntable and phono preamp. But when you're talking about regular line stages and amps, or anything else, it's anyone's guess. You have to experiment to see what works where.

Incidentally, I've heard from more than one person that the Blue Heaven benefits tremendously from being placed on some kind of burn in device.
 
I use all Acoustic Zen through out my system and it really works well for me. I'm thinking that I might eventually upgrade to there Matrix IC.
 
I agree that the TT to preamp connection makes the most difference with ICs since its such a tiny signal and the S-N-R can suffer. Also agree that it's important to keep quality cabling into the preamp from any source, since even a line-level signal is a bit lower than it will be once sent to the power amp.

Mr. Lin, if the IC is the type with a ground lifted on one end, then it will be audible. My error, forgot to mention that.

I was referring to the ICs with simple arrows drawn for the sole purpose of keeping signal flow in one direction.

(If anyone's used the Little Dot tube headphone amplifiers, these come with a 1/8" male to L/R RCA stereo IC which has the arrow drawn towards the RCA side..... I've used them in the 'wrong' direction when sending audio into my Macbook Pro and they sound identical to my ears.
 
Acoustic Zen Silver Reference XLR for a number of years now. All around best ICs of all that I've used. My speaker cables and power cords are also AZ.
 
I'm using very special ICs made by Toshihiro Yamasahuchi-san with oxygen-free copper and select polymer dielectric materials. The braided covers are the equal of those used in cables selling for tens of thousands of dollars and sound superb. Every single strand of every conductor has been placed according to careful analysis for the optimum benefit. They also employ current conditioners that operate at the quantum level, similar to Bybee but 811 times more effective. The connectors are made with the rarest of trace metals.

They are truly exquisite and I can confidently say that they blow away any of the fancy cables that other people here at AK are using.

They're called the Ichiban Daiben Series.
 
I'm using Siltech MXT New york IC's for the cd player,...wide, open sound,with lot's of details, and not too up front. The soundstage extends deep between the speakers, and make the speakers dissapear...
Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Same here. I run Siltech New Yorks (1 meter) between CDp and integrated amp. I also tried many different cables before settling on these, including the cheaper Siltech Londons. The New Yorks (compared to everything else i tried) did the best job of bringing realism to my system --not a huge, gross difference, I'm talking a subtle but important improvement. The general sound of my system got more open, smoother, wider and deeper.

From phono pre to amp, I run Siltech ST-18 G3s (1/2 meter). They are slightly older and higher up the Siltech food chain and sound best in this place (as opposed to swapping them onto the CDp)

What makes Siltech unique is that they run strands of silver and gold along with the OFC.
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Siltech.jpg
    Siltech.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 75
Indra is big $ for big difference

I use the Stealth Indra between Bel Canto cd pl-1 and mac MC2102 (balance of system-Mac c1000t, Wilson WP 7s, VPI HRX rim drive w superplatter, Dynavector xv1-s, Shunyata Vray and pc, Stealth 50-50 IC bet amp and pre, Nordost tyr for phono and Stealth mlt speakr cable).
The Indra will cost component $ but will loose all chains from the music, fast as Nordost but with great soundstaging and gorgeous tonal color. Going from Monster to Kimber to Siltech was an upward climb, all noticeable differences, but nothing in my experience (includes Analysis Plus, Audience and old Transparent Refs) is as transformative as the Indra. Other cables have their strengths, but in a way are just slightly different flavors that have salutary or deleterious effects based upon the needs in the balance of the system. The Indra just has no discernible character to my ears. The difference between Indra and other cables was greater in degree than VPI Scoutmaster to HRX and greater as well than between c2200 and c1000. I know, I made all of those trips over a number of years and those differences were fairly huge. I'm talkin a world of difference with Indra--all good.
I never wanted to believe that cables made a big difference. My electrical engineering buddy said they shouldn't, until he heard it for himself. Although I am a big fan of the Indra and I may sound like a commercial, I am in no way connected with the company. I am rambling on in response to those who believe that cables are the least important part of the system. In fact,your choice of cabling can make a huge difference in the sound coming from your speakers. Remember, your system is only as good as the weakest link.
 
Van den Hul "The Waterfall" in my main system and Van den Hul "The Well Hybrid" in my second system. Tried many cables but Van den Hul is my last stop on the merry-go-round.
 
Mogami

There are so many high end, exotic interconnect cables available. That got me to wondering what folks were using between the preamp and amp, and the preamp and the CD.

I have been using Tributaries Silver Series balanced cables, as well as their unbalanced cables for years with excellent results, although I am sure there are higher end cables available.

What cables are you presently using, and how do they improve your sound?

I only use Mogami unbalanced.
For exceptional sound quality and transparency. :thmbsp:

http://www.thecablefactory.net/home-audiovideo-cables-197/mogami-hi-definition-rca-composite-audio-video-cable-848.html

RCA2.jpg


mog-W2524-1.jpg
 
I recently upgraded my IC's.....amp 2 pre and DAC 2 pre from NBS pro and master cables to NBS pro IV's.....I was a little worried if I could tell a significant difference...but it was well worth it. NBS cables....the classic series are very open,tonaly correct and well balanced. As far as transparency.....a straight shot...excellant wire.
 
Back
Top Bottom