• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Interesting Marantz 2245 Wood Case

Register to hide this ad
I recently picked up a very early small script Marantz 2270 with the exact case. The receiver does not have the metal top cover underneath with this style cabinet like it would have with the WC-22, etc... I'll probably be listing my 2270 one day soon since I don't really don't have a need for it right now but that cabinet is unique...
 
I'm guessing yours and this case pre-date the WC-22 or are maybe the very first WC-22's. I think the second WC-22 had a stretcher bar supporting the back of the grill and the grill itself was thicker. And the feet attached to the case and did not pass through to the bottom plate.
 
Interesting. It doesn't quite have the front proportions of a WC-22. But it doesn't look like the case for the 19. On the 19 the metal grill area was much larger and more angular.
 
I'm guessing yours and this case pre-date the WC-22 or are maybe the very first WC-22's. I think the second WC-22 had a stretcher bar supporting the back of the grill and the grill itself was thicker. And the feet attached to the case and did not pass through to the bottom plate.
Old thread but this is the wood case my 2245 has with the bar supporting the back. It has some cracks in the particle board on the bottom. Going to try and coat it with some gorilla glue and let it dry to see if that helps.
 
It has some cracks in the particle board on the bottom. Going to try and coat it with some gorilla glue and let it dry to see if that helps.
Common way to fix particle board is to clamp it in position with waxed paper protection from the very low viscosity superglue which is used to flood the board. Once dried the board is back to its old self only stronger. The low viscosity sg wicks into the particle board and fixes things.

Can‘t see what you are talking about but was happy finding info about the sg repair on the web. Fixed the cracked particle board on an old teak cabinet I have.
 
Common way to fix particle board is to clamp it in position with waxed paper protection from the very low viscosity superglue which is used to flood the board. Once dried the board is back to its old self only stronger. The low viscosity sg wicks into the particle board and fixes things.

Can‘t see what you are talking about but was happy finding info about the sg repair on the web. Fixed the cracked particle board on an old teak cabinet I have.
Thanks. Does the resultant wood remain sticky where it could get stuck to the receiver somehow? Now I need to buy wax paper great idea. Guess it’s better to clamp it rather than leave it loose.
 
Superglue reacts, everyone says dries but that is for specific types of glue, so the board does not remain sticky.
If you don’t clamp in place you will have hardened particle board in whatever shape it is in, if you don’t use waxed paper you will have a clamp glued in place on the particle board. You can determine how best to make the shape correct and not glue the clamp to the work.

Check out a YouTube video or two, takes longer than the glue needs to dry. Low viscosity sg is a thing. The regular and thick kind will not wick into the board.
 
Back
Top Bottom