• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Interesting stuff with Yamaha "bookshelf" speakers...

Romeo Wolf

Super Member
I decided to have a bit of "experimenting" with the pair of Yamaha NS-AP5700BLF large 6.5" "Bookshelf" speakers (they're actually HTiB Fronts, but whatever). But I didn't have that tiny tripath amplifier with me so instead of more audio fun, I decided to compare the size of them to my Aiwa Exos 9 that sits in front of the dresser, as it turns on and such but will not play anything. The bluetooth beep isn't there anymore when you connect it to your phone or tablet, but anyway...

I thought you could use them as Studio monitors or some **** considering their appearance, but no. They did not fit on the desk. They were too large and a corner was off the desk surface. This was as far back as I could put them.
20190702_172424.jpg
And if you think the desk was small, you may be wrong. It's a pretty large corner desk. But with comparing the Yamaha to the Aiwa size-wise, it's pretty damn large actually.
20190702_170301.jpg

Here's where the weird (and potentially disgusting) thing comes. I was looking in the port, to see what's inside. Just foam glued to the baffle, right? Nope, more than that. I decided to look in the corner and I find this bloody-looking "puddle" on the foam and particle board. I looked at the same corner with the other speaker, and the same thing was there but not half as much. What is it?
20190702_170611.jpg

Alright, to refresh your eyes from the "disgust" (if you do find it so) is I shun a flashlight on the Tweeter, and noticed it looks like an eye. Huge pupil, small iris. May be creepy to some. Not exactly refreshing but whatdoyaknow~
20190702_170741.jpg

Also I find it interesting that this model of Bookshelf may have a very flat response, or a dip in mids as far as the Sound signature of Yamaha goes. The woofer is a massive 6.5", which means that it won't go super high into the frequencies. But the dome tweeter is only a ¾", so that tiny ass tweeter won't go very low either. Strange, huh?
 
Register to hide this ad
As far as you other assessments, why don't you detach the tweeter, and run a frequency sweep on the woofer to see just how high and low it actually goes, and then hook the tweeter back up and disconnect the woofer to perform the same tests on the tweeter?

Be sure to put a little electrical tape or something insulating on the leads when disconnected for testing.

Do not put much power to the tweeter, as you can damage it doing this sort of thing.

By the way, a 6.5" driver is not massive.
IMG_20160902_112850_953.jpg
 
As far as you other assessments, why don't you detach the tweeter, and run a frequency sweep on the woofer to see just how high and low it actually goes, and then hook the tweeter back up and disconnect the woofer to perform the same tests on the tweeter?

Be sure to put a little electrical tape or something insulating on the leads when disconnected for testing.

Do not put much power to the tweeter, as you can damage it doing this sort of thing.

By the way, a 6.5" driver is not massive.
View attachment 1552365
Unfortunately, I do not have the proper kind of "screw" that would fit properly to take those hex bolts out on the plastic edges of the speaker, so I wouldn't do it. But, I don't care so much about it as I can simply just raise the mid frequencies on the EQ.

Also, I know that a 6.5" driver isn't massive. It Just looks massive considering the cabinet size.
 
Actually, I am guessing that those 'screws' are fake, molded in to the plastic face of the speaker. They are probably glued together and cannot be disassembled without being destroyed.
 
Actually, I am guessing that those 'screws' are fake, molded in to the plastic face of the speaker. They are probably glued together and cannot be disassembled without being destroyed.
Perhaps, but you'd never know until you try.
 
Actually, I am guessing that those 'screws' are fake, molded in to the plastic face of the speaker. They are probably glued together and cannot be disassembled without being destroyed.
I'm actually pretty sure you're wrong. If those hex nuts were fake, it would have been a huge pain in the ass to get that faceplate out. Also, Yamaha is a decent manufacturer. They mainly create motorcycles but also manufacture "studio monitor" type stuff. I don't think they would ever mold fake screws on there like some cheaper manufacturers. At least I haven't yet. These things were probably made in the mid 90s, just before budget speakers started seriously cheaping out and ****.
 
Also, Yamaha is a decent manufacturer. They mainly create motorcycles but also manufacture "studio monitor" type stuff.
Yamaha Corporation mainly creates musical instruments and electronics. Motorcycles are kind of a sideline which was spooled off in 1955 into a separate company -- Yamaha Motor Company Ltd -- sharing the name, of which the original Yamaha Corporation is a majority shareholder.

Your Yamaha speakers were probably originally sold as part of a 5.1 home theatre system. They're not studio monitors.
 
Yamaha Corporation mainly creates musical instruments and electronics. Motorcycles are kind of a sideline which was spooled off in 1955 into a separate company -- Yamaha Motor Company Ltd -- sharing the name, of which the original Yamaha Corporation is a majority shareholder.

Your Yamaha speakers were probably originally sold as part of a 5.1 home theatre system. They're not studio monitors.
I know they're from a HTiB set. I just thought they looked like studio monitors.

Also I just realized the Hex nuts on the faceplate of these Fronts and surrounds are fake. Not something I would want to see, nor painfully disassemble considering the fact that the faceplate is just shoved in there and then glued to the particle board :no:

But hey, it's better to deal with than have Fake tweeters.

Edit: Well, he just made me feel slightly better about it. Especially since I paid only $10 for both these and the surround speakers that came included from the Second hand store back in April 2018.
Screenshot_20190703-192612_Reddit.png
 
Last edited:
I thought you could use them as Studio monitors or some **** considering their appearance, but no. They did not fit on the desk. They were too large and a corner was off the desk surface.
Eh? Well that's a deal-breaker then - can't be used as studio monitors.
 
I never realized those were tuning forks after all...
Yup. they make fine pianos, I've one of the 'professional' uprights in my house. (same one they sell to churches and schools)

I've also got one of their motorcycles in my garage. (FZ-09)

funnily enough, I do not own any of their audio gear at this time, although I have in the past.
 
Yup. they make fine pianos, I've one of the 'professional' uprights in my house. (same one they sell to churches and schools)
We've got a Yamaha electric baby grand. Lovely instrument.

I've also got one of these, Yamaha DD5 digital drums:
YamahaDD5.png

And one of these, a Yamaha Tenorion grid instrument:
YamahaTenorion.jpg

I used to have one of these, a 1978 Yamaha XS400:
YamahaXS400.jpg

All great stuff, except for a Yamaha acoustic guitar I had in the 1990's. It wasn't very good.

(Images are not mine -- I'm not at home right now or they would be except for the motorcycle. I don't have it any more, and don't have any pictures of it.)
 
We've got a Yamaha electric baby grand. Lovely instrument.

I've also got one of these, Yamaha DD5 digital drums:
View attachment 1553641

And one of these, a Yamaha Tenorion grid instrument:
View attachment 1553642

I used to have one of these, a 1978 Yamaha XS400:
View attachment 1553643

All great stuff, except for a Yamaha acoustic guitar I had in the 1990's. It wasn't very good.

(Images are not mine -- I'm not at home right now or they would be except for the motorcycle. I don't have it any more, and don't have any pictures of it.)

I have had several Yammie acoustic geetars, steel- and nylon-stringed variants, as well as several electrics. All of 'em, one of the "classical" (ie nylon-stringed) jobs in particular, played nice / sounded nice. Of course I ended up gettin' rid of all of 'em, but that's no (poor) reflection on the Yammies -- I've "been through" about 2 dozen mid 1950s Les Paul Jrs and hundreds of other geetars well worthy of keeping, but always on the prowl for more/different tone, feel, etc.

My Yammie bike: a circa '72 RD-350 Twin, one of the best-balanced road bikes I ever owned. A purplish-blue hue. Nice bike. But I traded off that as well... probably for geetar(s).

Re: staying on topic - past the geetars, I have never owned any Yammie audio gear. No amps, no speakers, nuthin'.

P.S. But wait: I did have a Yammie electric piano/synth thing and I liked it, but donated it to the younger sibling of a close friend around the time I went away to serve with our armed forces.
 
Yamaha has also been a big name in mixing boards. From the PM-1000 to state of the art digital models. These are used professionally by big-name artists.

Remember folks, the OP is only 14 and just getting into audio. Lots of misinformation, assumptions and the attitude that comes with adolescence.
Romeo Wolf, many here don't have a problem with your age as long as you try to do the one thing most teenagers don't. Think before you speak (post) and don't try to sound cool (unnecessary profanity and the 'whatever's). It's kind of annoying.
 
I'm actually pretty sure you're wrong. If those hex nuts were fake, it would have been a huge pain in the ass to get that faceplate out. Also, Yamaha is a decent manufacturer. They mainly create motorcycles but also manufacture "studio monitor" type stuff. I don't think they would ever mold fake screws on there like some cheaper manufacturers. At least I haven't yet. These things were probably made in the mid 90s, just before budget speakers started seriously cheaping out and ****.

This kind of post is exactly what I'm suggesting you to stop doing. Personally, it doesn't bother me, but if you really want to benefit from the knowledge, experience and wisdom available here, you have to avoid the above. Remember, adults can be unfairly biased towards individual teenagers and far too often dismiss them as just "silly kids". You're obviously intelligent and share this interest with us. There are probably many here who would be glad to see someone your age taking a serious interest in audio, myself included. Age and maturity are not one in the same. A 14 year old mature person is much easier to deal with than a 40 year old immature person.
 
Back
Top Bottom