• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Interesting stuff with Yamaha "bookshelf" speakers...

Romeo Wolf: I can see in your text message that you refer to yourself as a "shitty near-15 year old." From what little I know about you, I would strongly dispute that claim. As a parent of some teens, I would be very happy to have a kid that 1) is into audio, 2) likes to tinker instead of just play video games, and 3) takes the time to engage and participate in this well-respected forum.

I suggest changing your self-description from "shitty" to "awesome."
 
We've got a Yamaha electric baby grand. Lovely instrument.

I've also got one of these, Yamaha DD5 digital drums:
View attachment 1553641

And one of these, a Yamaha Tenorion grid instrument:
View attachment 1553642

I used to have one of these, a 1978 Yamaha XS400:
View attachment 1553643

All great stuff, except for a Yamaha acoustic guitar I had in the 1990's. It wasn't very good.

(Images are not mine -- I'm not at home right now or they would be except for the motorcycle. I don't have it any more, and don't have any pictures of it.)

Yamaha slapped the name on all sorts of stuff. I have Yamaha golf clubs and tennis racquets.
 
Eh? Well that's a deal-breaker then - can't be used as studio monitors.
Well hey - these 5.1 systems go for $80 Used. I paid $10 for these, incl. the surrounds. And another $10 For the P3600 10" Sub. Only thing I'm missing is the center channel but I don't really need it. Besides that I have a Panasonic ice cream sandwich center channel that's basically a decoration by now.
20190705_104802.jpg
 
This kind of post is exactly what I'm suggesting you to stop doing. Personally, it doesn't bother me, but if you really want to benefit from the knowledge, experience and wisdom available here, you have to avoid the above. Remember, adults can be unfairly biased towards individual teenagers and far too often dismiss them as just "silly kids". You're obviously intelligent and share this interest with us. There are probably many here who would be glad to see someone your age taking a serious interest in audio, myself included. Age and maturity are not one in the same. A 14 year old mature person is much easier to deal with than a 40 year old immature person.
I totally agree with you. I'm Generally easygoing to say the least but sometimes I can get out of hand, and I make a lot of assumptions. Some of are what can pull me Into difficult situations.
 
Romeo Wolf: I can see in your text message that you refer to yourself as a "shitty near-15 year old." From what little I know about you, I would strongly dispute that claim. As a parent of some teens, I would be very happy to have a kid that 1) is into audio, 2) likes to tinker instead of just play video games, and 3) takes the time to engage and participate in this well-respected forum.

I suggest changing your self-description from "shitty" to "awesome."
Actually- yes. I don't play video games often to say the least. But I'm almost always sitting my ass in bed, on my phone. Except for those times where I go thrift shopping and find to hoard something plausible. I need to get out more often, but I don't know where the hell to go. My parents can't always take me to Portland, and they're not super into audio. I absolutely admire/adore Wolves, and I like taking night hikes with my awesome 18650 EDC Sofirn SF36W. Though we can't always do those, either.

Most important thing is, I need to get out there and socialize. I can be shy at first but grow more comfortable the more time is taken into bonding. Unfortunately, It fades away quickly for me. It's not easy making friends who has something in common for me. They're either an idiot, or they just talk to their other friends and ignore me like as if I never existed. I don't think I've ever had a true conversation with any friends, before, ever. Just a simple hi, sometimes with a few questions, and that's it.
 
Actually- yes. I don't play video games often to say the least. But I'm almost always sitting my ass in bed, on my phone. Except for those times where I go thrift shopping and find to hoard something plausible. I need to get out more often, but I don't know where the hell to go. My parents can't always take me to Portland, and they're not super into audio. I absolutely admire/adore Wolves, and I like taking night hikes with my awesome 18650 EDC Sofirn SF36W. Though we can't always do those, either.

Most important thing is, I need to get out there and socialize. I can be shy at first but grow more comfortable the more time is taken into bonding. Unfortunately, It fades away quickly for me. It's not easy making friends who has something in common for me. They're either an idiot, or they just talk to their other friends and ignore me like as if I never existed. I don't think I've ever had a true conversation with any friends, before, ever. Just a simple hi, sometimes with a few questions, and that's it.

+1 on what n8dogg said! You seem incredibly smart and in tune with yourself. Being 15 can be tough, but the way you describe yourself is impressive. Don’t be down on yourself. Life throws you curve balls all the time, but that’s how you learn and grow. Keep exploring electronics and audio if that’s your thing. The friend thing will come around, in the mean time you’ve got a lot of “coaches” on this forum to give you a few hints if you need them, audio or otherwise...
 
I don't think I've ever had a true conversation with any friends, before, ever. Just a simple hi, sometimes with a few questions, and that's it.

That is to be expected. You and everyone your age is just trying to figure out who they are and how the fit into the world. In some respects, this will continue for the rest of your life. You will make deep connections with a few friends and there will be many folks you will never get beyond talking about the weather or some BS on TV (I suppose that would be FB/internet now).

Whatever you do, learn something and try to have fun with it.

Last but not least, you really need to have at least one really shitty job before age 20 to help you appreciate having (and keeping) a better job. Flipping burgers is too easy. Manual labor on a construction site is excellent. Cleaning toilets at WalMart (they call it maintenance) might be even better. If you are college bound, this type of job experience will help you put down the bong and hit the books (laptop, tablet, whatever).
 
That is to be expected. You and everyone your age is just trying to figure out who they are and how the fit into the world. In some respects, this will continue for the rest of your life.

EXISTENTIALIST ALERT.... BEEP BEEP BEEP.... EXISTENTIALIST ALERT.... BEEP BEEP BEEP ;)
 
You would think a company who builds a wide spectrum of musical instruments would be the worlds best speaker manufacturer, but alas they never have been has been my experience. Even their top of line NS 1000 of past fame was a flop. I mean when a pair of Bozak 313's with limited bass and no highs above 13khz sounded more authentic you new Yamaha was in trouble. Even there much improved later models always had a coloring I never liked. Yamaha played dirty games, too. We were the top seller in the Southern Rockies, but because we didn't push their speakers and they didn't like us discounting them to move the ones we were required to stock we chose to go our separate ways. Thats why we returned to Marantz and NAD. There were just to many good speakers out there in the late 90's and early 2000's to be forced into selling their speakers in order to sell their electronics.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom