MCM_Fan
AK Subscriber
I've been searching for a small console/cabinet to hold my turntable (Bang & Olufsen Beogram 3400), receiver (NAD 7120) and some of my vinyl LPs. I thought I'd found the perfect solution over the weekend. It's the Draper Media Console from Urban Outfitters. It's exactly what I'm looking for, and even matches my vintage mid century modern furniture.
The only potential problem is the interior dimensions of the shelves that would hold the turntable and receiver. According to the Urban Outfitters web site, the shelf dimensions are:
15.5"w, 14"d
Since my turntable is 17.3" wide and my receiver is 17" wide, it appears that neither component would fit in this cabinet. Which is a total bummer for me. And, it's not like these are huge components. The NAD is very compact, the smallest receiver I've ever owned.
But, I haven't given up hope. The exterior dimensions are listed as:
38"w, 16"d, 32"h
If I assume the wood is 3/4" thick (seems like a reasonable assumption), that means the interior shelves would be (38 - 3*3/4)/2 = 17.875" wide. That would be wide enough to accommodate my turntable and receiver.
There are two local Urban Outfitter stores, but neither of them carry furniture. I can order the Draper Media Console online with free shipping and return it to the local store if it don't like it for any reason. But, I'd prefer not to go through that hassle if I don't have to.
I know a few forum members have the Draper Media Console. Could one of you kind souls please measure the width of the interior shelves and also the dimensions of the opening in the top when the lid is raised. It looks like that opening is little narrower due to the trim pieces, which may prevent opening the dust cover of my turntable. If that's the case, I can always remove the dust cover.
Any help would be appreciated.
BTW, I've already seen this thread about the Draper Media Console. In that thread, forum member PrestigeWW is using the Draper Media Console with his VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine (which is 15.5" wide x 14.25" deep). Looking at the third photo, there is clearly at least an inch gap on each side of the VPI, which is encouraging and makes it appear the real width of the interior shelves is at least 17.5" wide - which puts the Draper Media Console back in the running for my desired application.
The only potential problem is the interior dimensions of the shelves that would hold the turntable and receiver. According to the Urban Outfitters web site, the shelf dimensions are:
15.5"w, 14"d
Since my turntable is 17.3" wide and my receiver is 17" wide, it appears that neither component would fit in this cabinet. Which is a total bummer for me. And, it's not like these are huge components. The NAD is very compact, the smallest receiver I've ever owned.
But, I haven't given up hope. The exterior dimensions are listed as:
38"w, 16"d, 32"h
If I assume the wood is 3/4" thick (seems like a reasonable assumption), that means the interior shelves would be (38 - 3*3/4)/2 = 17.875" wide. That would be wide enough to accommodate my turntable and receiver.
There are two local Urban Outfitter stores, but neither of them carry furniture. I can order the Draper Media Console online with free shipping and return it to the local store if it don't like it for any reason. But, I'd prefer not to go through that hassle if I don't have to.
I know a few forum members have the Draper Media Console. Could one of you kind souls please measure the width of the interior shelves and also the dimensions of the opening in the top when the lid is raised. It looks like that opening is little narrower due to the trim pieces, which may prevent opening the dust cover of my turntable. If that's the case, I can always remove the dust cover.
Any help would be appreciated.
BTW, I've already seen this thread about the Draper Media Console. In that thread, forum member PrestigeWW is using the Draper Media Console with his VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine (which is 15.5" wide x 14.25" deep). Looking at the third photo, there is clearly at least an inch gap on each side of the VPI, which is encouraging and makes it appear the real width of the interior shelves is at least 17.5" wide - which puts the Draper Media Console back in the running for my desired application.
Last edited: