• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is an MR74 worth repairing?

So, the tech working on it thinks he can get it going except that the FM IF IC is bad, part number 133-002, aka CA3042.

Anyone have a good source for them? I know they are long out of manufacture.

TIA!
 
Crosses to a ECG710 or NTE710. Some available on eBay.

The CA3042 that I got on eBay didn't work, so I'll give one of those a try. My tech has inserted an external amplifier and stated that the FM tuner section is working well, so this seems to be the only impediment. Fingers crossed!

Once I get this sorted, new glass.
 
For all you skeptics, I tracked down a CA3042 and apparently the tuner is working great. According to my tech, it doesn't look that great but outperforms most of the MR74s he's worked on. Should be all buttoned up by next week. Just need a glass and maybe a cabinet to hide the ugliness.
 
Just picked it up. Looks and sounds great. The only problem is that in my area, it only picks up one station with any strength. Luckily, it's my favorite station (KGNU in Boulder) with lots of cool music, much of which is way off the beaten path. Although the conservative religious stations seem to overpower everything else around here, but I want music, not talk.

Also got regaled with tons of stories of Binghamton back in the 60s and the McIntosh folks. He talked about seeing Frank Gow running around as a 10 year old when he started working with McIntosh, and his time with Gordon. He did a lot of the clinics with Dave O'Brien and talked about how people would come in with various other amps, some of which they had built and wanted to show that they their amps could output full power like the Macs. Richard just shook his head remembering those escapades because he and Dave knew that the amps would blow up. They had those guys sign waivers, assuming responsibility, but it pretty much happened every time. In his repairs now, the only amps he runs up to full power during testing are Macs. Everything else gets half power. I think I need to do a formal interview with this guy!

Anyway, here's how it looks now.

tempImage43ZC9T.png
 
Anyway, here's how it looks now.
Those are 2 very beautiful looking pieces. Back in the early 80's I replaced my C28 with a C32 in a system consisting of a 2505 and an MR77 (the FM only brother to your 74). The first thing I did was to purchase all new end caps and knobs to replace everything on the 2505 & MR77 to match the new C32.
I know that many consider this sacrilege, but to that I'll say this... Having 3 matching units made it justifiable, but more importantly: the newly adorned amp and tuner looked amazing, especially the MR77. It was stunning, having looked like a variation of the MR78. Your's could too.
Regardless, nice to see it's all been resurrected. Nice job on the tuner.

ps. Your stories about Dave O'Brien made me think of those old clinics... fond memories.
I was one of the guys with who brought in their other gear. I started attending those clinics in my late teens, pre Mac, when I owned a Dynaco Stereo 70 and a PAS3-X. I fondly remember Dave O'Brien saying to me, "tell me son, when are you going to move up into the world of McIntosh?"
My reply was "not soon enough sir".
 
Last edited:
When I was going to the clinics, I was in my late teens and was a long haired musician in the late 70s. My MC2015 was all beat up, as it was my bass and sometimes a PA amp and lost the glass pretty quickly (truthfully, the glass was a mess when I got and I stopped replacing it after breaking it a few times). Dave would see me coming in, surrounded by doctors and lawyers, fire up my amp, which always exceeded spec and announce "Gentleman (there were few women at those clinics), this is why McIntosh is the best!" No other hifi gear would have stood up to that kind of abuse.

I would love to find matching knobs, but I don't have a lot of $$$ to put into it. McIntosh has always found its way to me, so when the time is right, they will appear.
 
If you follow this thread, you'll note that I've done exactly that. It works great.
Funn. Course the first time I posted this 'you were still 'asking' in this thread' :" should I keep and have it restored or not "? But that same post of mine, as the one here before, you just reacted on,..mysteriously disapeared some how you see. So I thought I posted it again ;).
Anyways. Glad, it all worked out for you buddy! Including new glass, and knob you did decide to buy afterall.
And is the 2105 getting it's cosmetic update still. It's full dress sotospeak? New glass can be ordered and knobs also indeed. Course it's great matching set already! But with a full dressed MC2105 it's even more eyecatching.
 
Last edited:
IMG_0362 2.JPG
Funn. Course the first time I posted this 'you were still 'asking' in this thread' :" should I keep and have it restored or not "? But that same post of mine, as the one here before, you just reacted on,..mysteriously disapeared some how you see. So I thought I posted it again ;).
Anyways. Glad, it all worked out for you buddy! Including new glass, and knob you did decide to buy afterall.
And is the 2105 getting it's cosmetic update still. It's full dress sotospeak? New glass can be ordered and knobs also indeed. Course it's great matching set already! But with a full dressed MC2105 it's even more eyecatching.

Thanks! It's actually paired with an MC2255 which looks and sounds great. The MC2105 (and its twin) is another project altogether. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.
 
Yes, the MR74 is now where the NAD tuner was.

It's a TD160. It needs some attention, but generally works well.

I'm using Vandersteen 2Cis, although I also have some Avalon NP2s as well, but they have a 2khz sizzle I find annoying. And the imaging isn't as good.
 
Back
Top Bottom