• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is anyone having any trouble / luck with Triode, USA recently?

thorpej

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm finally scaring up some time to get back to my project queue, and I realized that I never received the 4 Dynaco ST-70 chokes I ordered from Triode, USA back in January. I then realized that I never received a separate ST-70 choke I ordered a few months prior to that for a different project.

The orders are still open, "Will ship in 2-3 weeks". Other orders I've successfully received have "Shipped" as the status, so I expect these never actually made it out the door.

Has anyone else been having trouble with Triode lately?
 
Register to hide this ad
I just went through an ordeal with Triode, and would not buy from them again. The short story is that I received a partial order, waited more than a month for the rest of it, and they never delivered. I attempted to maintain communication with them throughout, but they didn't respond well until I mentioned the possibility of a chargeback. They ultimately refunded the cost of the parts they didn't send, but the process wasted too much time, and generated too much angst. Never again.
 
It's a real shame, because I had previously had very good luck with their guitar amplifier transformers, and all indications are that their Dynaco output transformer clones are very good.

Anyway, I got an email update from them this morning:

Hi Jason,
We just checked with our manufacturer and they are guaranteeing them ready on or before 8/24, so we will ship out then.
Thank you so much for your patience,
Jan

Triode USA
​

...and they updated both of my outstanding order records. So, I guess we'll see what happens in a couple of weeks.
 
Jason, did you use their guitar amp transformers for guitar amps or hifi amps? Which model(s) did you use. Are these the ClassicTone transformers?
 
Jason, did you use their guitar amp transformers for guitar amps or hifi amps? Which model(s) did you use. Are these the ClassicTone transformers?

Yes, the ClassicTone transformers -- for guitar amps. A few years ago I built several Champ and Deluxe clones for school fundraisers. I have the exact part #s in some hand-written notes somewhere. Anyway, they were made well and performed as expected. I was pretty happy with them.

EDIT: found my notes. In the Champs, I used the 40-18115 output transformer and the 40-18019 power transformer. In the Deluxes, I used the 40-18022 output transformer and the 40-18021 power transformer.
 
Last edited:
Awesome, thanks!

I too hope Triode fixes their distribution/manufacturing issues. I plan on ordering some Dynaco clone output transformers for some future builds.
 
I have ordered Dynaco Clone output transformers from Triode on at least four separate occasions. While hardly the lightening fast shipping that we've become accustomed to from large Internet retail warehouses, in each case, the shipping was quick enough for what I think their process might be (about 2-3 weeks). That is, I don't know how much inventory Triode actually keeps with these transformers, but rather, may rely on transferring such orders directly to the winder, who then manufacturers the order, and ships directly to the Triode customer. Every time I've received one of these orders, I always know what it is when received if only due to the weight involved, but it is always quite vague as to who it came from. Whenever I buy from other vendors, they either ship in normal commercial shipping boxes so you know who the package came from, or use their own well marked boxes to promote self advertising. That has never been the case when I've ordered these transformers from Triode. I know that Triode and Dynakit Parts are very secretive about who manufacturers these transformers for them, which I believe is why the sender information on the transformer orders I've received is so vague.

I'm aware that there have been some disgruntled Triode customers out there over time -- and apparently with valid reasons for their opinions. I haven't had any such concerns yet, but do continue to watch. I think many of the problems they have could be due to the fact that the Triode operation is just not as big as it appears to be, or may not be the latest technological operation. As such, orders could fall through the cracks or get lost. I'm not justifying their operation or endorsing them either (I have no connection with them) but rather, like others, surely hope that they can survive their competitive environment and get their issues resolved.

Dave
 
UPDATE: I followed-up with them end-of-day (US/Pacific time) yesterday, it being August 24, the date they promised they would ship, and I got a reply at 7am US/Pacific today that they were in the process of fulfilling the back-orders...and then a few minutes later, I got the tracking numbers for my orders in separate emails. So, hey, that's progress!

I like supporting US-based manufacturing (Triode's chokes are Made In USA), but next time I'll probably just use Triad C-24Xs (that are like 1/2 the price at the reliably-on-time Mouser).
 
I'd also like to know if their outputs are Classictone? And if they are as good as the old Dyna's... We're running out of winders willing to supply DIY builders. Maybe you have to order 100 at a time which would be a large cash outlay. I thought Transcendar had a good thing going. but I guess not....
 
UPDATE: I received all of the chokes I ordered on Aug 28. They all measure exactly on-spec. Hopefully they have worked out the kinks in their supply chain, because these little chokes appear to be very well made, and I'd much rather buy from a small outfit with US-based manufacturing.
 
I did go on Classictone website. They listed Triode & Tubedepot as distributors. So I assume Classictone is their winder. It seems Triode is the only one that carries Dyna repros tho....
 
Placed order in early March and never received items , always told it would be two to three weeks, simply back ordered with there vendor . This occurred on more than one occasion on this order. The product never came when the time frame prommised passed, I called a number of times with no reply or return call. Emailed and finally got an update one time for an aprox date item should ship , Another month passed after said date occurred. Took extreme effort to get resolved, Finally had order canceled and money returned. Three months is not okay. Very frustrating experience . Clearly Triode USA should think of placing a notice with the item letting prospective buyers know the product is out of stock, and could take several weeks to get. The buyer can decide at that point . It is simply frustrating due to lack of good and reliable communication and the appearance of stock on hand that really is not there. Seems others have had satisfactory experiences . I did not.
 
dynakitparts dot com has no such issues. Fast ship, quality stuff. Never had a problem. Kevin, who runs the place, is a stand up guy. Very much like dynaco was long ago.
 
Have placed large orders with Dynakitparts, always happy with their service, parts are high quality and arrive on time. Used to use Triode, but had problems as others have.
 
Back
Top Bottom