• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is It The End?

The music industry is contracting due to many issues, some of their own making.
Overpriced product for 1 - 2 "good" songs so people prefer stealing it, little to no artist development that helps ensure a quality product and create a loyal fan base,
Too many quick buck one hit wonders pushed by the record companies. Radio narrowly focusing on the top 20 artist as determined by album sales, not quality of songwriting material. The listening experience has also been compromised. Remember as a teen you wanted that nice sounding silver unit for your bedroom? Now it's been reduced to a device that fits in your pocket. If you want to listen at home, then you plug that device into some interface with crappy speakers.
Other issues such as Tough economy, limited discretionary spending money, along with competition from video games for that limited 18 - 25 year old dollar also lead to less people buying the physical media.
I also think it's the viceral act of cleaning records, studying the album covers and flipping the records over that allows us to "interact" with our listening experience and further enhances the moment. My kids aged 5 and 3 love to come over to the record player and clean the record before the needle drops. they enjoy looking at the art and pictures in the albums I play. Something I hope they remember as they get older.
 
I buy used, or direct from the artist.. screw the RIAA... They have brought this on their selves..
I actually agree. I lost respect when the RIIA killed Dat tape with recording limits, and who knows how many other technologies have seen the axe, maybe even before reaching the market. I want to support the artists but how much are these these guys collecting?
 
There is one big thing that turned me off buying new music. And I would be willing to bet that this is one of the biggest impacts out of all the reasons....

Pandora Radio

Its on my cellphone. Its free. It has about any artist you can think of. Sure I still buy a CD or record now and then for home play/critical listening. But not near the frequency I did 5 years ago.
 
I'm right outside of Harrisburg in the New Kingstown area near Mechanicsburg. My wife is from here. I grew up in SC but I love it here except I'm beginning to dislike the snow but it beats 106 degrees which SC has hit in the last few years. Never saw that in my 50 some odd years and I talked to the 80+ year old guys and they never saw that either. It's a lot like SC (even the politics but I won't get into that) in Central PA. Mennonites from here have been moving to the area of SC I lived in for years isnce land is cheap, since I was five at least because I remember my grandmother would come from NC to SC and this Mennonite lady baked "Orange Twists" that were sort of like a donut but had an orange flavor on the outside. My wife grew up in Millersburg and then lived in Enola, moved to Philly as soon as she got out of high school. Stayed there for years and her husband kept having strokes startinn at 30 and at a certain age they moved here so as to be around family when he got too bad off. My wife's first husband was a big ham guy. She GAVE all his equipment away when he died. He had a fortune in that stuff as that was how he communicated with the world before computers. He was in a wheelchair since age 30.

But I've got loads of 78's. I plan to put them on Youtube but put only HALF the song on there. And if they want the rest they buy the album. That's how you fix Youtube and keep the industry alive. Even though I'm no fan of the RIAA they don't bother me because I don't need to steal music. I already did my "stealing" by buying it at the thrift shops for the last 30 years often at 5 cents a record or at yard sales for "how much for the whole box". I guess it wasn't stealing but I paid for it and I "own it" at least the 78's that are not copyrighted anymore.
 
Overall sales might be down but like others have said here, the MP3 generation only buy one song at a time because all these artists that are pushed on people now only have about one good song per.
 
Yet another contributing reason is iTunes (and similar services, but who knows what they are, iTunes has a virtual monopoly) allows buying the "best" song(s) from an album without having to buy the while album. The accusation of "filler" songs on albums has gone on for decades, and now with one-song file purchase buyers don't have to pay for them, thus less revenue for the record companies.
 
People just don't want to own anything anymore in a digital/internet society.

I see this as a good thing.
No need to own music if you can stream it directly form an online source (like Spotify, Grooveshark etc). I do hope audio quality from those sources will get better and that they will keep offering the choice to buy(>download) the music.
And perhaps also offer artwork packages with a nice vinyl record too for the real fans/enthousiasts?
 
Remember as a teen you wanted that nice sounding silver unit for your bedroom? Now it's been reduced to a device that fits in your pocket. If you want to listen at home, then you plug that device into some interface with crappy speakers.r.

You may have wanted it but you probably bought that yorx and though nothing more of it. Lets not start with the "No one cares anymore", this tread was about the current state of the music industry not how the 70's looked through rose tinted nostalgia.

Anyways back on topic. I fully agree with Similost, the RIAA has brought all this on them selves. For the longest time the stamped there feat like a little girl and refused to change. "Legal online downloads, why would we want to do that?" and then when they finally "embrace" some new technology they sell them selves short look at what's happening with iTunes and the like. They also fudge the numbers here while CD sales may be at an all time low legal individual downloads are at there highest. People are buying there music (well most) but that doesn't win the any sympathy so they don't advertise that. Honestly if they were to collapse it would probably be for the best, especially now that they've been whining about second hand CD sales. Talk about crybabys.
 
It's not 1975 anymore though. We can find more interesting music faster than ever today so I no longer need an over-the-air radio station to do the work for me.

Absolutely yes - I remember when I was a freshman in high-school, and it was around the time when dial-up internet was just about to become common place in the average household, but was already available at the school library. When I got access to that I began reading page after page of information and interviews of my favorite artists. And it continues today. My music collection would be a fraction of what it is right now if not for the internet, and probably a small fraction at that.
 
A lot of factors are involved in this, going back for years. I don't feel like writing another book-length post belaboring all the ills of the music industry (which could fill multiple books, were it all told!), but I'll add a few small personal observations:

In the past week, I've heard three people comment on how vinyl records are "becoming popular" now. First was a teenage student, who couldn't even remember (if he knew) what to call them; he just described them as "like big, black CDs." I happen to know his father has a nice system (good Harbeth speakers), but listens to CDs only. Incidentally, the kid himself has a lot of music, but no CDs. No LPs, either. 100 percent of his "collection" consists of (mostly free, illegal) downloads. He has more excuses for why that is okay than you'd ever think of, and cannot or will not think of it as "stealing."

Yesterday, I stopped at a small roadside stall that sells used records out of cardboard boxes. You can sit on low (about 1 foot high, if that) wooden stools and flip through the records in the boxes. New stock is put out at the beginning of the week, and prices for that day are $5 per record. Every day or two (depending on how much stock is sold) the price drops, until by Friday he remaining records cost only $1-2. So if you see something GOOD, you grab it the first day at the higher price, or risk losing it to someone else. Or you take your chances that no one else will want it, and come back in a day or two, to see if you can get it cheaper. There was a lady, I'd guess she was forty-ish, buying records. She asked the old lady there (who runs the sales, collecting the money on behalf of the owner, who has a regular shop nearby) about where to get records cleaned, explaining that she had just got back into spinning records again, and didn't know what to do... I talked to her (offered to clean a few records), and she was saying how more and more people just like her were getting back into records "just like in the old days."

Today I was back at the same place (beat out the high-level scavengers this week, and grabbed a couple Columbia 6-eyes and some other nice stuff! :banana:) and while I was there, an old man came up to talk to the old lady there, and he, too, started saying how she must have a good business, because the old vinyl records were becoming popular, and the prices were going up, up, up on them.

How much of this is truth and how much is media exaggeration, urban myth, or something else, is anyone's guess. But it struck me that within less than a week, I had heard three ordinary people, only one of whom was actually spinning vinyl (and she was just starting out) SAY (without any prompting from me) that vinyl records were becoming trendy/popular/sought-after again. Three people from three very different age groups, and different income and age brackets, too. One of them was actually a living example of that trend.

Music sales --as in sales of new recordings by new artists through the traditional channels-- my be contracting, even dying, but interest in music perhaps not so. None of those secondhand vinyl sales are likely to be in any statistics.

I recently "discovered" Grooveshark. Actually, I'd known about it for a long time, but only recently finally tried it. I have to agree, it's a pretty convenient way to access a lot of music for background listening, etc... I also listen to a some streaming online radio stations. How much money does the industry make from any of this? Next-to-nothing.

In the next three months, I plan to go to concerts by Eric Clapton, Marianne Faithful, and the Eagles. That will put some money in those entertainers' pockets. But aside from concert ticket sales, how much money have I given them lately? Back in the 1960s through the beginning of the nineties, I bought viny LPs and then CDs by each of these groups. Since 2000, I've bought even MORE of their music than I did before then, but NONE of it went into the artists' pockets, because all the purchases were secondhand (mostly vinyl, a few CDs). I suppose the concert tickets will somewhat make up for that, but perhaps not entirely. And what music company will get money from that, other than the promoters?

Small, microcosmic anecdotes... but multiplied by millions around the world, they add up. It didn't have to be that way. When record companies started making CDs, their costs of producing and delivering a product plummeted. So what did they do? Raised the prices! Did the performers get more money? No. Did the retail outlets make more from selling them? No. It all went into record company's pockets. After they had milked off the people willing to pay more for the new technology, did they lower their prices to reflect their cost savings? No, they fought kicking-and-screaming to keep their newly-inflated profit margins.

Even today, the record companies have legal terminology in their contracts that is completely different from not only regular English, but the legal terminology as it is used in other fields, thanks to bizarre and byzantine case law built up over the years. I don't know anyone familiar with the industry --including most performers in it-- who don't get a real sense of "schedenfreude" at seeing them squirm a little today, for a slew of reasons, many of them valid. Perhaps it's... Karma?!



The only real negative in this picture is what it spells for the future of music, if the financial incentives for producing good music evaporate. One can only hope that selling ten million copies of a recording for a buck on iTunes will equate to the former selling of one million copies of an LP for ten bucks, and people will still be motivated to make good music. Perhaps if the Internet removes the record-company middleman from the equation in a way that still allows music creators to prosper, there will be continued generation of good music. (OF course, what constitutes "good" is fodder for another discussion. :D) That might not be an entirely bad thing!

Then there is the issue of a tangible product versus an intangible one. Personally, I like to own a record, CD or tape that I can touch, that I can put onto or into a machine for playback... but I can understand those who ask, "Why, when an intangible download is just as quick or quicker, and sounds just as good?"

Music will always be with us; it is hard-wired into being human. Cavemen probably chanted and thumped percussion around the campfire, many millenia ago, and our descendants are unlikely to stop that process. But there is nothing that says there must always be a music industry producing discs. That didn't exist until the previous century (and a bit), and might not survive the current century. But music will be with us, and as long as some of us are alive, so will at least some of the world's supply of tangible discs!
 
I don't know why people say there is no good new music out there. There is more undiscovered music than imaginable.
Conventional wisdom is you know all there is to know, but the reality is the opposite. There's no doubt in my mind with little effort anyone could find a new artist every day of the year that you like enough to buy some of their stuff.
 
As I am a person that grew up buying records in the 60s and 70s, I like to have my music in a "physical" sense. Be it vinyl or tape, I like to own it.

Now I do have an iPod that I use for travel and to play in my Tahoe, but every song on it came from CDs that I own.

Perhaps a lot of truth to the statement about people buying only the songs that they want, rather than the whole album. We used to do that with 45s, didn't we.

I have a lot of music on RTR tape, quite a bit on cassette as well. For me, there is a certain sense of satisfaction to having the music on a physical medium. As mentioned in an earlier post, our generation may end up being the archivists for decades of music, as we will have the physical collections.
 
I think there are a lot of factors which contribute to the decline of sales.

First is the music; I think now, more than ever, are we seeing major label artists become one hit wonders or flashes in the pan. With Dr. Luke writing the songs and producing for so many artists these days, it seems like a lot of music is becoming marginalized. Clear Channel is a contributing factor as well, destroying local stations with variety. Also, the prices of new albums, regardless of format, are still rising. Special edition 180g pressings of classic albums are about $30 these days. Many new CDs at the major stores still hover at the $18 mark or more.

I have no problem paying for music; from the time I was a teenager until today, I probably spend about $100 on new music per month. (I spent $500 in the past two weeks, but don't tell my girlfriend) What keeps me buying are the independent artists I enjoy and the obscure bands that I discovered over the years.
 
Speaking as the father of two college kids, college kids don't buy or even rent media (music or movies). Through P2P, bit torrents and the like, they feel they have all the free media at their fingertips they could ever want. They watch first run movies in their apartments a week before they even hit the theaters - really. If they can do that, getting their hands on free music is all that much easier.

The idea of paying for media is entirely foreign to them. This is the new normal for them (not for me or probably anyone on AK, but it is what it is). IMHO, money is not made on recorded music any longer (to any significant degree). Money is made in live performances. Until the RIAA comes up with a viable business model for the digital age, it will continue to get worse.
 
Unless you have a college radio station near you the lack of new music available is very sad. I comment to my wife all the time that the quality and quantity for music played over commercial radio today is disheartening. This is true when I drive my FM equipped car if I don’t listen to the college station or one of the oldie stations the rest is just a waste land. Unless you live in a large city your choices for free radio are limited and what you do get is top 20 stations or urban music.
What happened to the great Jazz stations and the Friday night radio programs that discussed up and coming new artist and their music? Who’s really to blame? I personally think it is the shift into other media that has turned people away from music and radio. I see more people watching movies/TV programs or playing solitaire or video poker than I see listening to music during my train commute. Just one persons observation.
 
The industry pissed off the true artists so much that they went underground, and the Perrys and Biebers stepped up and claimed the artists' territory. It's a sad sorry state of affairs when the true artists can't even defend their territory anymore. The market is too watered down, there's no parity left, and the bottom's about to drop out. That said, go buy everything you can get your hands on because someday (soon?) there may not be LP's and CD's to buy anymore. Then, if you thought you'd seen a flood of "how do I hook up my computer to my receiver" questions before, you're going to see nothing but that question before long. I'm not crying sour grapes, I'm just callin' it as I see it. Not to worry, though... I have my stash, gear and media...
 
I fully agree with Similost, the RIAA has brought all this on them selves. For the longest time the stamped there feat like a little girl and refused to change. "Legal online downloads, why would we want to do that?" and then when they finally "embrace" some new technology they sell them selves short look at what's happening with iTunes and the like. They also fudge the numbers here while CD sales may be at an all time low legal individual downloads are at there highest. People are buying there music (well most) but that doesn't win the any sympathy so they don't advertise that. Honestly if they were to collapse it would probably be for the best, especially now that they've been whining about second hand CD sales. Talk about crybabys.

The really sad thing is that after watching the music industry, via the RIAA, implode over the last 10 or so years, through a strange blend of overzealously attacking fans of music and apathy towards new media, the Motion Picture industry is following the same darn path. The hard core resistance to internet streaming directly to a TV that is present in HULU/HULU+, the deals that they make to keep content off of netflix instant view, and the very high prices for fairly low quality of "rental" services like Amazon and iTunes only serve to drive people to download movies and music illegally. It may not be right but it is the way the world works. Its almost like these companies have no clue that the world is changing, or they do but they think that standing in the corner screaming about it will keep it from effecting them.
 
Back
Top Bottom