Good question. What happened was that the local paper had a done a piece on my collecting of old radio shows and the widow of the gent who recorded these tapes called me and asked if her husband's tapes had any value since she was downsizing for a move to a retirement home. I went to look at them and ended up making an offer. She called her son who accepted the offer on the condition that I also take the old tape recorders at $50 each (which unknowingly at the time included a near pristine Brush BK-401 and a wire recorder). I told them of my intent to release what was on the tapes on a web site. They were uncomfortable with that happening depending on what might be on some of the tapes. I told them I'd only release the "public" recordings and would digitize the family recordings for them, which I did.
The widow passed away about a year ago at age 101. What hasn't been released includes an oral history with his mother who came out to Montana in the late-1800s, and a bunch of stuff he recorded at the local Shrine, of which he was a member. This included some drinking/card parties and a kangaroo-court prosecuting the local sheriff for letting wives know where they'd be drinking. There are also kid birthday parties and other things that one might find in a collection like this. I think one of the issues they had is that there had been a divorce in the family and some of the recordings contained pre-divorce people and that was uncomfortable.
That said, since I agreed not to release "family" material, I might release the non-family local recordings at some point.
On a related note, I bought over 500 reels at an actual estate sale about 12 years ago and have been going through those since last May. About 200 reels were recorded by a guy who had a barbershop and recorded the talk in his shop, sometimes without the customers' knowledge. He recorded many church services he attended and meeting of clubs he was involved with, some of them political. He also recorded hours and hours of religious/political content off the air. This is mostly from the late-1950-s and early 1960s. When he passed away in 1990 all his tapes ended up in a thrift shop. Another guy bought them as a cheap source of tape. He passed away a dozen years ago and I bought them from his estate sale. I found out about it since I worked with his son-in-law. I consider what is on those tape in the public domain since the original recordist's family put them out there. I have found and contacted his daughter and gave her copies of things with her dad on them (a whole other story that conversation was) but didn't mention that I've been putting this stuff online. This collection is here:
http://www.otrannex.com/the600/
The first 200 reels or so are, mostly, from the barber, with the rest being a mish-mash, primary copies of records. I have about 100 reels left to go through and about half of those are factory recorded albums. Of course, I am not putting copyrighted material on my site but I did put up sound samples.
I haven't publicized this, but planned to, so this is my first announcement.
And, to keep this on topic, the tapes are a wild collection of everything EXCEPT paper tapes. Lots of acetate and all have held up very well.
What is also interesting is the number of tape brands included. I photograph every box and reel and include those on the site for those who might be interested in that aspect. However, many/most reels and tapes do not match the box I have found them in. After all the years and multiple owners that is not surprising.
Vince, in VERY snowy Montana