• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is this a good site for upgrading caps in a vintage receiver?

Register to hide this ad
If you don't want to source them yourself sure. It can be cheaper if you make a list and order them from mouser or digikey.

Go to google type in your model # recap audiokarma and see what comes up.
 
If you don't want to source them yourself sure. It can be cheaper if you make a list and order them from mouser or digikey.

Go to google type in your model # recap audiokarma and see what comes up.

I have the list of all the caps but it's a pain finding them all and the 2 places you said I could get them mouser does not have half the caps I need and digikey does not have all of them either I thought anyway this would be the best way to get em but do you think it's a good place to get the caps that site I posted?
 
Without knowing what receiver you're talking about, what kinds of components this vendor is going to provide, and what the price is going to be, there's no way of knowing whether it's a good or bad deal.

If you can't find half of the stuff on Mouser, there's either something wrong with how you're looking, or you're trying to find component values that were common decades ago but which have since been superceded by close equivalents.
 
Without knowing what receiver you're talking about, what kinds of components this vendor is going to provide, and what the price is going to be, there's no way of knowing whether it's a good or bad deal.

If you can't find half of the stuff on Mouser, there's either something wrong with how you're looking, or you're trying to find component values that were common decades ago but which have since been superceded by close equivalents.

I agree completely.

I don't know the website concerned, but a couple of the things I normally check first for any I'net based shopping - does the website display the full business contact details, including address and phone details ? and are terms & conditions of sale clearly advertised, together with the relevant shipping costs ? returns details ? This site has none of this information (which is a legal requirement in many countries) - so it's simply not somewhere I would ever purchase anything.
 
Charging 10 dollars for an UNSPECIFIED ON replacement transistor by some store you even can not see where they are located?

The use of language on the site reveals they are not English/USA language country based, while using this language?

The kits are not specified?

I would at least want to know what I buy.
 
Does anyone know any kind of capacitors kit for a Sansui 5050 mine needs new caps I need all 55 of them any place you may know of?
 
I have the list of all the caps but it's a pain finding them all and the 2 places you said I could get them mouser does not have half the caps I need and digikey does not have all of them either I thought anyway this would be the best way to get em but do you think it's a good place to get the caps that site I posted?

Mouser and Digi-Key will provide some of the best prices available. Be very careful buying caps through ebay, fakes abound. If you can't find a specific µF/V in a cap at Mouser or Digi-Key try upping the voltage a step or 2 and you will often find what you need. You just need to check the size (dia & H) specs on higher voltage caps and check that they are not to large for the position the need to go into.

Cheers,
James
 
You don't say where you are so I don't know if the Mouser/Digikey option is best for you.

The site you linked has your cap kit for 50€ and that might not be too bad since they claim they are supplying Elna Audio, Nichicon KZ and FG. But if your unit needs low leakage those caps aren't best. There are also lots of 'options' available to get the best from your unit. @dlucy has a Harman Kardon 330B rebuild thread where he listed some of the things he considers when he recaps, all learned on AK over his tenure. Seems like a good list. You know up in voltage never down, film caps for the small electrolytic replacements and such.

If you have your cap list in a doc you can post, I'm sure folks can look it over and let you know if some of those will be hard to find. But since your link has a kit, that means they have found what they believe will work. Folks here can to, probably for half the cost. You are searching on Mouser using 'Nichicon UKZ' the term and then looking for the sizes you want, aren't you? Also Nichocon UFG and Elna RFS for the silmic cap.
 
Well, I personally like to chose my parts and upgrade here and there where appropriate, but I could certainly see such a website selling kits for a wide range of popular vintage amps is a good thing for many... heck, I would be tempted to use if I was tight on time for a project.

However, a couple of things jump out at me. First the AU-777 kits says it has 48 caps. My parts list shows 64 electrolytics, or maybe 62 (depending on accuracy of my notes). The AU-505 number of parts looks about right. They have the AU-888 as having 30 electrolytics... I haven't drawn up a parts list for that yet, but that would surprise me if it didn't have more...maybe I'm wrong. I guess the point is, if you order by yourself it takes more time, but you will be sure you have everything, and the right parts. Either Mouser or Digikey should have 99% of what you need... you just need to get used to how to adjust your specifications in the search boxes. For example, you can use higher voltage as long as the part isn't physically too large.

Also, for power supply caps in particular, those caps mentioned on the site are not always the best option.

If you need help on finding parts on Mouser or Digikey, folk here will probably be inclined to help if you start a thread with a few pics of your machine :)
 
It shouldn't matter while I use audio electrolytic capacitors if the same if and voltage for the most part right and polar if thsts what it is I found all the caps on digikey that is for sure the ones?
 
When you buy pre made kits, you get fake and old parts, neither of which is of any use for anything. Definitely avoid at all costs.
 
It shouldn't matter while I use audio electrolytic capacitors if the same if and voltage for the most part right and polar if thsts what it is I found all the caps on digikey that is for sure the ones?

Electrolytic capacitors that are branded or marketed as "audio grade" doesn't mean very much, if anything. Lowest leakage is what makes a capacitor "good" for audio, so you should look for replacements with lowest leakage (e.g. Nichicon KL series) or film caps for places where the audio signal is being passed.
 
I believe the manufacturers would provide a nice comprehensive list of what they have provided in the way of improvements in specs that make their audio caps better than their standard caps when used for audio purposes. We just don't have any of those folks posting here. The Sony STR-DA777ES an older totl surround receiver is full of Nichicon audio grade caps. Why would Sony use those if they didn't think they would be better for what they wanted to do?
 
I believe the manufacturers would provide a nice comprehensive list of what they have provided in the way of improvements in specs that make their audio caps better than their standard caps when used for audio purposes. We just don't have any of those folks posting here. The Sony STR-DA777ES an older totl surround receiver is full of Nichicon audio grade caps. Why would Sony use those if they didn't think they would be better for what they wanted to do?

All sorts of reasons ranging from (a) the thought they had better specs or sounded better to (z) they got a good price on them, with everything in between from (f) marketing reasons, to (h) they had a lot in stock at the warehouse. :) Note: I often favour audio caps, more often than not in fact, but not always, especially in PS as I and others have pointed out in previous posts, where audiograde caps sometimes don't have best specs for the job. So while I like audio caps I check spec sheets for every single part I consider putting into a unit... the audio cap doesn't always win. Sometimes the spec sheets of audio caps come with an alarming level of unsubstantiated marketing hype...even Elna is guilty of that.
 
I don't think I mentioned spec sheets, just manufacturers and then alluded to their folks. You may be totally correct in that Nichicon makes a cap and sleeves it 10 different ways to give it ten different preferred applications, IDK, but I'm sure those in the industry as buyer or sellers might have a clue.

There is something to it, we just do not have any idea what that is.
 
I don't think I mentioned spec sheets, just manufacturers and then alluded to their folks. You may be totally correct in that Nichicon makes a cap and sleeves it 10 different ways to give it ten different preferred applications, IDK, but I'm sure those in the industry as buyer or sellers might have a clue.

There is something to it, we just do not have any idea what that is.

Hi, my response was an answer to your question "Why would Sony use those if they didn't think they would be better for what they wanted to do?". I wasn't suggesting that cap makers are using different sleeves for same cap, but rather explanations as to why companies might use audio caps.
 
Back
Top Bottom