• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is this how these were originally shipped? ElectroVoice 30W woofer.

XplicitActs

Super Member
Purchased this and his Big Brothers Patrician 800 speakers.

Is this how the EV 30W was originally shipped? If not what exactly is this? A vintage Hifi low frequency Fly trap?
 

Attachments

  • IMG20260702145516.jpg
    IMG20260702145516.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG20260702150841.jpg
    IMG20260702150841.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG20260702150828.jpg
    IMG20260702150828.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG20260702150833.jpg
    IMG20260702150833.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG20260702150623.jpg
    IMG20260702150623.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 128
Register to hide this ad
That crate in the OP looks kinda familiar. I believe that the place I work with- who is an EV authorized repair center- at least once had a new 30W delivered- and it came in such a case, wrapped in cardboard, strapped to a pallet. The cloth may or may not be original.

BTW: I actually have rebuilt one of those 30Ws, from an organ, that had a bad voice coil. Fortunately, it's almost identical to the coil in one of the EV DL15/DL18 models, so I was able to use that coil- while saving the original styrofoam cone and surround- and make it work again.

If the cone and/or surround is damaged on one of those- you're basically SOL. But, as long as those are good- the speakers are fix-able.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
That crate in the OP looks kinda familiar. I believe that the place I work with- who is an EV authorized repair center- at least once had a new 30W delivered- and it came in such a case, wrapped in cardboard, strapped to a pallet. The cloth may or may not be original.

BTW: I actually have rebuilt one of those 30Ws, from an organ, that had a bad voice coil. Fortunately, it's almost identical to the coil in one of the EV DL15/DL18 models, so I was able to use that coil- while saving the original styrofoam cone and surround- and make it work again.

If the cone and/or surround is damaged on one of those- you're basically SOL. But, as long as those are good- the speakers are fix-able.

Regards,
Gordon.
See above.
 
OK, that screen wire DOES seem familiar. I think EV did that. The cardboard would have been layered on top of that, for shipping, then it would be strapped to a pallet.

It's funny- when one was delivered to us- we had to unpack it in the parking lot, as the pallet and crate wouldn't fit through the front door of the shop...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
OK, that screen wire DOES seem familiar. I think EV did that. The cardboard would have been layered on top of that, for shipping, then it would be strapped to a pallet.

It's funny- when one was delivered to us- we had to unpack it in the parking lot, as the pallet and crate wouldn't fit through the front door of the shop...

Regards,
Gordon.
Thank you for that information. Cool it is a common shipping method by EV, Bummer it isn't a Hi-Fi fly trap. I kid
 
The only place I ever went where I heard those woofers in action was the Mark Taper Forum live performance venue in Century City in Los Angeles. When I entered the auditorium to see a performance of "Hamlet" I heard this low frequency sound booming from the music they were playing with the speaker systems mounted in the walls. Through the grill cloth on the wall I could clearly see the massive 30" woofers. They should have set up a screen and held a special screening of the Irwin Allen disaster film "Earthquake" featuring Marjoe Gortner since their sound system would have handled the "Sensurround" sub-sonic soundtrack well! (lol)
 
I met a gentleman a few years back who had two of the 30", one was still in the original crating. If memory serves it was just like op's picture, but additional cardboard wrapping the whole thing. It was surreal, came around a corner and almost tripped over them.

Man thar guy had a horde. He wanted to sell it all piece by piece. Bet he still has it...
 
I bought them from an estate sale in Gross Point Mi. It was an automobile baron mansion. The guy bought them new in 1962. The butler waxed them annually.
 
Hard to believe Patricians are still lurking out there ... I've never heard a pair - would love to! And this home has room for them ...

I did have a 30w long ago. It came with a knocked down University cardboard shipping box that took me about two hours to figure how to assemble.
 
Hard to believe Patricians are still lurking out there ... I've never heard a pair - would love to! And this home has room for them ...

I did have a 30w long ago. It came with a knocked down University cardboard shipping box that took me about two hours to figure how to assemble.
Not just patricians, when was the last time a centurion showed up here? The big format speakers of that era are getting very hard to find.

Are production numbers known?
 
Back
Top Bottom