• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is this where some Marantz values are going?

Register to hide this ad
Beautiful but not recapped. Seems crazy high... I hope the winning bid is from a legitimate buyer.
 
Are you kidding me. Hand polished knobs BFD, sounds funny anyway :D

Seriously, new LEDs, cleaned controls, new vellum paper, so what. No rebuilt power supply and speaker relay, tone controls amp boards, phono stage and they are getting that much money for it?

Love the part about replacing old capacitors and losing the "warmth". My 2325 sounds light years better when I recapped it, just awesome. Do not care what those knuckle heads say. They are just lazy and making a quick buck off gullible people with more money than good sense.

Hurts it for people like us who love them and want to restore and enjoy them.
 
"We are often asked about whether new capacitors have been installed. We usually roll out the car analogy at that point. If your tires have tons of miles left on them, do you replace them? Say you did replace them, if you bought a set of cheap generics, would you be as happy as you were with the high end OEM tires that came with the car? "

To continue with their car analogy, if I bought a 40 year old car with the original tires, damn right I'd want new tires on it, even if the originals were low mileage.

And why would I replace them with cheap generics - even though today's cheap generics are probably far superior to the original OEM tires - when I could put modern performance radials on it?
 
Its about Bullshitting people, i guess.
Put a fancy front on it and smather the bullshit on and uneducated buyers fall for it.
I have been noticing a lot of light stuffing, switch cleaning Rebuilds lately.

I see rebuilds going for $250 bucks now and i wonder what kind of work is really getting done. I guess its possible, but to do these rebuilds the right way, like some of you do, the labor should be every bit of $600 plus.

This is a REAL Rebuild!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marantz-232...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2599e5b34e
 
Myself, I do not see a difference, both ads no pictures of the inside, both unable to get smooth blue background without transistions behind the meters.

I did this one a few years ago, but still it is a compromise. This was at full brightness.
I did put a potentiometer in it to adjust the brightness, because high brightness looks impressive but too bright blue is irritating to the eye, especially when it is dark. It is the worst color to focus on.
I had no other way to go, because the paper behind the meters was discolored uneven.
As my JVC is worth probably about 100 euro's max I do not bother but if I would have such a powerful Marantz (especially in a good looking woodcase as was very uncommon in Holland) I would definately put some effort in getting the right lamps or making an alternative for units having obsolete ones.
jvc1.jpg
 
Anyone who pays that much for a 2270 should have their head examined. :rolleyes: I wouldn't pay that much even for a 2500.

"A fool and his money...are lucky to get together in the first place!"
 
Ugh, another "professional" "rebuilder" that claims the old caps are better. I never make a killing when I've sold fully refurbed units on eBay because I simply list what is done without the flowery BS. But I can live with myself and my customers are always so pleased with the sound. Best of all, it will stay out of the dump.
 
gslikker says,"Myself, I do not see a difference, both ads no pictures of the inside, both unable to get smooth blue background without transistions behind the meters."

There is No Comparison of the two Sales. The 2325 work is Superb!:thmbsp:

The documentation is there for all to see. This is a correctly rebuilt unit! No hiding behind words. Not only was the work done, but there are 40 pictures to prove it. This , in my opinion, was the best documentation of any ebay sale that i have ever seen:yes:.
I'm talking Miles ahead of anything.

The concern over a perfect color, if you didn't mention it, i would have never noticed, but i am not that concerned over it. Others may be, but the Pictures are clear enough for someone concerned, to not bid on it if it bothers them.

They both have Warranties, but i think we can figure out which one is going to need it. My HPM200's would bring that unrestored power supply to its knees. I have 10 marantz receivers and not one of them would i ever think about selling without recapping the P/S. Thats a time bomb waiting to go off.
 
Last edited:
Oh yes, I missed out since I clicked on the ad picture on the top, I missed out on the others!

You are right, Superb, indeed!
 
Here's why:
Shipping to: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Denmark, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Estonia, Australia, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, Slovenia, Japan, China, Sweden, Korea, South, Indonesia, Taiwan, South Africa, Thailand, Belgium, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Russian Federation, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland, Norway, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Croatia, Republic of, Turkey, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Jamaica

It's a high price but high risk sale.
 
That price is not in line with other 2270s sold (silver-faced). The champagne + engraved 2270s are also high fliers.
 
That beautiful rebuild sold for well over $3000. The not-so-beautiful rebuild has that unusual black face and great cabinet, which will attract the facade - oriented members of the crowd. And all of you are correct - that cosmetic beauty will likely blow up 4 months down the road.

Here's the current problem in the world of vintage stereo equipment: people don't really know what they are buying or how to use it. They know its cool, and they think it will sound better than any other item on the market. It will, of course, but only if used correctly.

Case in point... I attended a little party in Denver's lower down town (think $800,000, 1000 sq ft condos sold as lofts). The host had recently bought a cosmetically beautiful Sansui AU999 for a gazillion bucks. He was very proud of the purchase, telling me nothing sounds like the old days.

He had the amp hooked to a pair of nice looking mid-70s Yamahas (don't remember the model). The speakers were sitting directly on the wood floor. They were as boomy as a 1000-unclean-watt car stereo with a kick box.

To add insult to injury at the Sansui's feet, a nothing special, 80s Technics TT was plugged into the Sansui. Just a quick look at the stylus told me it had been played hard and put away wet. Maybe a nib of diamond was left. To further compound things, every footfall within 15 feet of the table came through as loud and clear as the drum beat on the mildly techno piece of music that was playing.

Nothing sounds like the old days... Our host would have been better off with a good iPhone plug in system from Amazon.

It's not that people have more money than sense, at least typically. It's that they go "cool hunting" and have no idea what they are buying, be it a $6,000 bicycle, a $20,000 watch, a $120,000 Italian sports car, or a $1,500 Sansui AU999.

Everything has its use, and to those who know the use of an object and see that object being misused, we just become sad and, yes, sometimes resentful.

On the other hand, if I can put some LEDs in my Marantz 2220B, for which I paid $125 three years ago, and sell it for $800, I might have to think about it. My Yamaha will do just as well for that return on investment.
 
Last edited:
A fool and his money are soon parted.

I have been a fool a few times. Buying a Harley at the Top of the bubble was one of them foolish mistakes. About a $6000 one, after it was said and done.

I think that supply and demand plays a part. we are flooded with 2270 units, but the 2325's are getting decent prices due to the fact that even unrestored, they still kick ass. You cannot find anyone parts'ing one out, or wanting to sell them. I think the $3000 unit is priced right for what was done to it. It will last 30 more years. $800 bucks back in 1977 @ 4% annually would come to $1216 in interest, plus our $800 gives us a grand total of $2016

Now we add how rare it is to find one in this condition and the buyers figured it was worth $1000

giving us $3016 bucks or close to that.
 
Back
Top Bottom