• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

It ain't Goodwill, but it sure is GOOD!!

Dowj15k

New Member
Several summers ago, purely fortuitously, I bought my first tube audio gear, a McIntosh MC240 and MX110 from a Professor of Sociology at Wesleyan University. It's been all downhill (sarcasm) from there. I should rephrase that....downhill for my wallet. I'm currently enjoying the following in my daily listening system, but that could all change, and it routinely does about every few weeks or so!

Pr. Marantz Model 5 mono block amplifiers (Philips metal base EL34 & Mullard metal base GZ34 tubes)
Lafayette KT-600 or Fisher 400CX preamplifiers (depending my mood)
Marantz 10b tuner
McIntosh MCD7007 CD player
Akai GX-650D Reel to Reel
Pr. JBL Olympus C50 speakers w/S8R drivers
Pr. Rogers LS3/5A speakers (15 ohm)

........and last but not least, truly the heartbeat of my system, and well worth the many many months to coordinate,

Hammertone Garrard 301 Schedule I grease bearing turntable (very early production, 3,xxx), Herbies mat, Jelco SA-750L w/Denon 103R with a late 1950's early 1960's German Klangfilm "Breitband" step up transformer with a High and Low gain RCA's.

Sharing the above duties are below units. Currently I do not have any elaborate switching systems, so I am manually disconnecting interconnect cables and connecting to other units. I do plan on securing a speaker switching system so I will have an A/B option to jettison between the JBL and Rogers LS3/5A

Cary mono block CAD 300SE Signature series SET
Marantz 7c, or Harman Kardon Citation I (w/my Friend Bob Carver's upgrade)
McIntosh MCD7007
Hammertone Garrard 301 w/103R cart
Akai GX-650D R2R
Marantz 10b tuner
JBL Olympus and/or Rogers LS3/5A

I've recently had my cabinet guy make me a shelf unit to display, well, actually to get off the floor, corners of the room, leaning against the wall and under the coffee table, the other pieces of vintage audio I have. Hope you folks enjoy the images of my collection. It's a great hobby, and I always say that music is the best therapy, next to love, that one can experience.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0949.jpg
    DSC_0949.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC_0921.jpg
    DSC_0921.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC_0676.jpg
    DSC_0676.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0942.jpg
    DSC_0942.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_8326.jpg
    DSC_8326.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC_8327.jpg
    DSC_8327.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:
Register to hide this ad
Thank you, but don't be. You have some nice gear also, and I am sure you enjoy it as much as I do mine. It's a lot of fun, and probably more therapeutic than anything else. Happy Holidays to you Joel27!! Sincerely, Timothy
 
Thanks VintageBoy. I see your in Chi-town. I'm next door in NW, IN. Looks like you've been busy collecting too:) Happy Holidays to you! Sincerely, Timothy.
 
Beautiful system. What is the large piece if pottery left of the lamp? Rookwood? I'm drawing a blank.

cubdog
 
I am intrigued with those speakers! just lovely looking specimens, and the wood grain on that turntable is just beautifull, a fine looking setup you have there.
 
Thank you Vintagchris. The JBL's are really a wonderful set of technological wonders from the early 1960's. JBL manufactured quite a few speakers in the 50's and 60's that were truly furniture like. The main reason I purchased them is because I have an affinity with period, early 1900's lighting, i.e. table lamps, as you might note in one of my images, and the speakers are a fantastic and functional utilitarian pair, that serve two purposes, and sound incredible. Sorry, I know, a bit more than you wanted to hear:) The Garrard plinth is of my own design. I spent an inordinate amount of time studying various wood grains until that one spoke to me. I really am pleased with the look, and especially the sound. Happy Holidays Chris. Sincerely, Timothy.
 
Hey Timothy, you have a great setup there. I'm south of Wabash. It's always nice to meet fellow hoosiers that enjoy this great hobby.;)
 
Hello 71Challenger. Thank you so much for the kind words. Now you've given me the bid head! I'll try not to crow too much:) On a serious note. 1971 Challenger huh? Now your singing to the Choir!! I'm a long time Mopar guy. As a matter of fact, I just bought a '70 Cuda to put a 1966 Hemi motor in. I've wanted something like that since I was a teenager. Just hope I live long enough to see it to fruition and don't have to sell off all my audio to make it happen. I sure love those Challenger's too (it was a toss up between the , and who could forget "Vanishing Point?" Certainly not a Mopar enthusiast. Merry Christmas, Challenger Guy!
 
Hey Cubdog, sweet puppy! I'm seeing a pattern here. Challenger guy posted, I have a Mopar, and Cubdog posted, and I have a yellow Lab. Well, my Brother, you're not drawing a blank at all. In fact, you are still on top of your game! It is indeed a Rookwood. 18" scenic Vellum by E. T. Hurley. Your eye is as keen as your yellow Lab's. Merry Christmas, Cubdog! Sincerely, Timothy.
 
Hi Sovereign, thank you, thank you. She gave me fits for many months trying to get it all together, but well worth the bumps in the road and being patient for. Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas! Sincerely, Timothy
 
Hi Mark, I've been down your way a few times. Beautiful country in your neck of the woods. Thanks for making a post. I couldn't agree more, it's always fun to get to know fellow Hoosiers with an interest in audio. Here's hoping you have a safe and fantastic Holiday Season. Your fellow Hoosier, Timothy!
 
quote "sorry i know, a bit more than you wanted to hear:D"

Timothy i never get tired of hearing about this kinda stuff!:thmbsp:
 
Hello 71Challenger. Thank you so much for the kind words. Now you've given me the bid head! I'll try not to crow too much:) On a serious note. 1971 Challenger huh? Now your singing to the Choir!! I'm a long time Mopar guy. As a matter of fact, I just bought a '70 Cuda to put a 1966 Hemi motor in. I've wanted something like that since I was a teenager. Just hope I live long enough to see it to fruition and don't have to sell off all my audio to make it happen. I sure love those Challenger's too (it was a toss up between the , and who could forget "Vanishing Point?" Certainly not a Mopar enthusiast. Merry Christmas, Challenger Guy!

Cudas are awesome. I don't have a Hemi, just a sweet little 340 auto, but man with a nice set of Hush Thrush mufflers she purrs....

Got my eye on a 68 Plymouth GTX w/440 six pack, lot's of dollars. Maybe some time next year.
 
Back
Top Bottom