• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

It's 2008, 40 years in the future...

similost

Rockin and Rollin....
Here's a very interesting article that was in Modern Mechanix 40 years ago, 1968. It's describing what life will be like this year.

Yep, some stuff is WAY off, but amazing how many things they did get right... Still no flying cars, but yet we do have some cars that will park their selves now...

Robots that clean (romba), Appliances that are connected to the net (repairmen don't show up, but we can monitor them) Video Phones, Tablet computers.. Remote medical exams...

The one I really liked, plastic food containers that are so cheap you can throw them away after you are done with that microwave dinner.. Amazing plastic was too expensive for that to happen then.. much less they had half the kinds of plastics we do now..

Anyway, I thought some of you would like this..

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/03/24/what-will-life-be-like-in-the-year-2008/

Just a shame they haven't figured out that smart pill yet... :D
 
Register to hide this ad
Cool! I have yet to read all of it. Wish we had the public transportation system they envision.
 
He certainly got it right about how computers will run everything.

I wouldn't mind see the rest of that article called "40 years ago".
 
'Twould be fun to go back to '68 & put back say, 5 each "Bullitt" Mustangs & 5 of those ominous black Chargers...Myself, I'd rather have one of the Chargers...That era Mustangs just never really "did it" for me. I WOULD like to have that suicide-door Lincoln Robert Vaughan rode in...The hospital scenes however, kinda look like a medieval torture chamber compared to today, to me, a layman, anyway...
 
'Twould be fun to go back to '68 & put back say, 5 each "Bullitt" Mustangs & 5 of those ominous black Chargers...Myself, I'd rather have one of the Chargers...That era Mustangs just never really "did it" for me. I WOULD like to have that suicide-door Lincoln Robert Vaughan rode in...The hospital scenes however, kinda look like a medieval torture chamber compared to today, to me, a layman, anyway...

untitled12re6.jpg

untitled11ch6.jpg


:thmbsp:
 
Forty years from now we'll be burning our furniture for heat as the last fossil fuels have been sucked from the earth, or are beyond the means of ordinary people.

"Forty years earlier the oil companies -- realizing that the oil and natural gas supply was, in fact, finite -- started buying up Federal lands containing aquifiers (at sweetheart prices) in order to monopolize the single commodity that is truly essential to the survival of all species...water. Record numbers of poor and indigent perished from simple dehydration in the following decades." :sadwave:

Looking at the current state of the world I'm not terribly optimistic about the outcome. :no:

I need to stop reading/listening/watching the news. :nono:
 
Forty years from now we'll be burning our furniture for heat as the last fossil fuels have been sucked from the earth, or are beyond the means of ordinary people.

"Forty years earlier the oil companies -- realizing that the oil and natural gas supply was, in fact, finite -- started buying up Federal lands containing aquifiers (at sweetheart prices) in order to monopolize the single commodity that is truly essential to the survival of all species...water. Record numbers of poor and indigent perished from simple dehydration in the following decades." :sadwave:

Looking at the current state of the world I'm not terribly optimistic about the outcome. :no:

I need to stop reading/listening/watching the news. :nono:

catInTinfoil.jpg
 
That was a good read. It was spot on about computers, but way off with medical advancement unfortunately.
 
A lot of futurist writing tends to be wildly off the map. This author got a lof of stuff right.



Au contraire. A wide variety of intelligence-enhancing pharmaceuticals are available to those willing to practice cowboy brain chemistry.

Great, I'll just cut that piece of blotter I've been savin' for a rainy day into 25 pieces and..and..**** forgot where it is:scratch2:
 
Some of it though was simply that it was vague enough for us to interpret our world onto it. For example, although they seemed to have the idea of the importance of computers correct, the implementation wasn't there. They were stuck in a mainframe/large computer mentality.

David
 
Back
Top Bottom