• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

It's Chili Time!

With all due respect to our chefs here, these recipes are all over the "chili map", but I'm sure they all taste good. But to answer your question just go here and order the mix:
http://www.cinchili.com

I've made it and it's excellent, and "real" as you put it. It may not taste as good as the competition chili made from scratch but the real chili flavor is there. The only thing is you have to find no-salt tomato sauce or it will turn out too salty.

beans, I was about to do a smack down based on that product's name, cinchili. I was thinking "Cincinatti Chili" (which is great chili if you are from the midwest, I'm sure). My apologies. I'm not big on "kits", but I'll try Cin Chili out the next time I go camping. :yes:

P.S. My recipe has it's basis in the San Antonio Chili Queens chili mole con carne from the late 19th century. Stout stuff.
 
Thanks for the idea guys. I had about 1 1/2 lbs of spicey burrito burger left over from about 4 nites ago. Didn't want anymore burrito's. Didn't want to throw it out. So Hey! Just added 3 cans of drained dark red kidneys, 1 can of diced tomatoes with onion, 2 big tbs of spicey brown mustard, 1 heaping tsp. of instant coffee and about 1/3 cup of mole asses. Now I have to run to the store and get some scoops. Already have cheese for the top. Ought to go good with them Red Stripes I have in the fridge. Plus it's cold out today.
 
Well, I tend to make mine w/o tomatos and fly by the seat of my pants. I don't know why, must have read it was more "authentic" or something somewhere.

The last bunch I made was like this:

About 4 pounds pork loin 1" cubes
1 softball sized onion chopped into 1/2" chunks
About 3-4 large garlic cloves sliced then chopped
Olive Oil
Cumin (lots)
Dried red peppers
Japaleno peppers canned
Can of beer
Can of beans.

Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until clear then toss in about a tablespoon of the dried peppers. Add the pork cubes about a cup at a time until brown, then add more. When all are in and brown, add about 2 tablespoons cumin, drain in all the juice left in the japalenos, about 1/4 cup and dice up the Japalenos and toss them in. Pour in the beer and simmer for several hours until the pork cubes tend to fall apart when stirred. Add the beans, warm through and eat.

I bought the pork loin on sale for $1.99/lb, so it was cheaper than using burger and definitely meatier. It's not your usual fare, but it's pretty good.
 
I use pork all the time in my chili. Usually mixed with beef cubes. I made the above just to get rid of that burrito burger. Pretty darn tasty.
 
Well you have to figure, all Chili recipes are authentic. Between Chili and BBQ sauces there are probably no 2 foods with more variations. Then you figure some people put BBQ sauce in their chili times the 1000's of sauce recipes out there, it's mind bogling, mind bogling I tell ya. It's getting to me thinking about it now. AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!. Damn it's not even 12 oclock and I need another beer with this Chili.
 
Today's Chili - based on Fiery Food's Western Chili

Seasoning Mix

4 T ground dried Anaheim chili peppers
1 T salt
1-2 t cayenne (to taste)
2 t ground cumin
2 t garlic powder
2 t onion powder
2 t dried oregano
2 t white pepper
2 t ground dried guajillo chile peppers
2 t dried thyme
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1 1/2 t nutmeg
1 1/2 t ground dried ancho chile peppers
1 1/2 t ground dried pasilla chile peppers
1 t ground coriander
1 t black pepper

*

1/2 c yellow cornmeal, toasted
3 T vegetable oil
2+ lbs. beef, cut into 1/2 in. cubes
1 1/2 c. finely diced Anaheim chile peppers (or three 4 oz. cans of diced peppers)
4 cups diced onions, in all
5 cups canned low sodium beef broth
4 green bell peppers, chopped
2 cups chopped celery
1 14 oz. can Red Gold diced tomatoes

*

Combine seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.

Toast the cornmeal in a dry skillet over medium heat until smoking and light brown. Stir often.

Heat oil in a 5 qt. pot over high heat until smoking good. Add beef and 4 T of seasoning mix. Cook, stirring frequently, until beef browns, about 5 minutes. Stir in Anaheim peppers and 2 c. of the onions. Cook, stirring and scraping occasionally, for 7 minutes or so.

Add the cornmeal and 1 1/2 c. of the beef broth. Vigorously stir and scrape the pan bottom. Then add all the bell peppers, the celery, the can of diced tomatoes, and the rest of the onions. Stir and scrape the pan bottom, then stir in the remaining 3 1/2 c beef broth and the remaining seasoning mix.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer one and one half hours until done.

Add 2 drained cans light red kidney beans if desired. Also 1/2 lb. (dry weight) elbow macaroni may be added in these financially unstable times to add tasteless, odorless, carbohydrate meal extender (offer not valid in TX).

chiliearly.jpg

Early on.

chililate.jpg

Later, with non-Lone Star fillers added

chiliplate.jpg

In the bowl, ready for human consumption and big smiles.

This is the only chili I fix any more. I've tried lots of recipes over the years including many that were combination/made-up/improvised. None have ever beat this one so I gave up trying to improve it.
 
I don't know the recipe but about this time of year some turkey chili ain't bad either. I tasted some at a "bring your own dish" Thanksgiving dinner at work last year. Not bad at all...............R1
 
If you want to skip the fiddle-farting and get right to the farting, there's some darn good mixes out there ...

Bear Creek makes one called ... of course ...

287.jpg


It's an unusual recipe with rice I use that for a starter mix, then add a can of red kidney beans, a cup of salsa, celery, bulgur wheat, and whole tomatoes diced up. Stew and chop suey meat cut into smallish cubes and pan fried with onions before going in the crock pot keeps it chunky. Let it cook for a couple hours on high, then add chopped green peppers and more rice to thicken it up and let it simmer for another hour. Peppers stay crisp and the rice stays chewy that way.

Darn good chili!
 
this is quick, done in only 1 big bowl in the microwave


1 lb ground beef
1 chopped green pepper
1 chopped onion
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
16 oz can undrained stewed tomatoes
16 oz can drained kidney beans
8 oz tomato sauce
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 or 2 tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt


adjust the amount of chili powder to suit taste

crumble ground beef into 3 qt microwaveable casserole.
add bell pepper, onion, garlic.
cover loosely and microwave on hi 4 minutes, break up beef and stir.
continue to microwave on hi 2-5 minutes until beef is no longer pink.
drain off liquid.

stir in remaining ingredients.
cover tightly and microwave 12-18 minutes stirring every 6 minutes, until boiling.
 
I am going to go ahead and bump this baby up again. I am making the OP's recipie again. be careful with the smoked paprika, a LITTLE goes a long way. I ruined a batch with it the first time I used it!
 
1886 Chili

2 lbs cubed beef (stew beef works well, or brisket), 1 inch cubes
1.5 cups chopped red onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 oz chili powder (Gebhardt’s is best for commercial product, or Adams, or your favorite bulk style… but no Durkee’s or other yankee powder.)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumino
1 10oz can of RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
16 oz beer (Spaten Optimator is best, Guinness is good, Shiner Bock is OK... WARNING! The use of any Budwieser, Miller, or Coors product can result in severe abdominal cramps and/or diarrhea.)
1 tbsp Blackstrap molasses
1 tsp Masa Harina (corn meal will work)
1 dried Ancho pepper, crushed

Sear beef until grey. Drain off liquid. Add all ingredients to pot (or Crock Pot) EXCEPT Masa Harina.

Simmer 2 – 3 hours hours.
Skim grease.
Mix Masa Harina into a liquid paste and stir in.
Simmer for 2 hours, or until meat is tender.

Garnish with chopped white onions and grated cheddar cheese if desired.
Serve with saltine crackers. East Coast Liberals may use oyster crackers without penalty.

Serves 4 to 6 people. Adjust ingredients accordingly.

ACTUALLY TASTES BEST THE NEXT DAY AFTER SETTING IN FRIDGE OVERNIGHT.

WARNING! The use of any legumes in this recipe can result in intestinal gas, severe abdominal cramps and/or diarrhea.

Your recipe is VERY similar to my competition chili and I even use Shiner Bock.

Today's Chili - based on Fiery Food's Western Chili

Seasoning Mix

4 T ground dried Anaheim chili peppers
1 T salt
1-2 t cayenne (to taste)
2 t ground cumin
2 t garlic powder
2 t onion powder
2 t dried oregano
2 t white pepper
2 t ground dried guajillo chile peppers
2 t dried thyme
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1 1/2 t nutmeg
1 1/2 t ground dried ancho chile peppers
1 1/2 t ground dried pasilla chile peppers
1 t ground coriander
1 t black pepper

*

1/2 c yellow cornmeal, toasted
3 T vegetable oil
2+ lbs. beef, cut into 1/2 in. cubes
1 1/2 c. finely diced Anaheim chile peppers (or three 4 oz. cans of diced peppers)
4 cups diced onions, in all
5 cups canned low sodium beef broth
4 green bell peppers, chopped
2 cups chopped celery
1 14 oz. can Red Gold diced tomatoes

*

Combine seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.

Toast the cornmeal in a dry skillet over medium heat until smoking and light brown. Stir often.

Heat oil in a 5 qt. pot over high heat until smoking good. Add beef and 4 T of seasoning mix. Cook, stirring frequently, until beef browns, about 5 minutes. Stir in Anaheim peppers and 2 c. of the onions. Cook, stirring and scraping occasionally, for 7 minutes or so.

Add the cornmeal and 1 1/2 c. of the beef broth. Vigorously stir and scrape the pan bottom. Then add all the bell peppers, the celery, the can of diced tomatoes, and the rest of the onions. Stir and scrape the pan bottom, then stir in the remaining 3 1/2 c beef broth and the remaining seasoning mix.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer one and one half hours until done.

Add 2 drained cans light red kidney beans if desired. Also 1/2 lb. (dry weight) elbow macaroni may be added in these financially unstable times to add tasteless, odorless, carbohydrate meal extender (offer not valid in TX).

chiliearly.jpg

Early on.

chililate.jpg

Later, with non-Lone Star fillers added

chiliplate.jpg

In the bowl, ready for human consumption and big smiles.

This is the only chili I fix any more. I've tried lots of recipes over the years including many that were combination/made-up/improvised. None have ever beat this one so I gave up trying to improve it.

You had me at Fiery-Foods recipe and lost me with the noodles. When making chili, I want chili, not spicy Goulash :D I won't even mention the cinnamon and nutmeg. Blech!!! I know everyone has their own go to flavors. For some reason I am hyper sensitive to cinnamon, nutmeg or any spice that is used for deserts. Not saying it's not right, just not my cup of tea... eerrr Chili.
 
Last edited:
Hey folks -

I have a lot of wild boar, and need a good recipe for a flavorful chili that is not spicy - the wife and daughter do not go for hot.

Anyone got a good basic recipe for me?
 
Back
Top Bottom