• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Its ok when Your Employer screws You around, But when You mess with Them...

the way i look at it...giving advance notice is a courtesy,it's nice if you're in a position to give it and care enough about those you work with .however i don't see it as strictly necessary...

it's really an outdated concept,in most cases you'd be damned lucky to get any notice at all if you were the one being let go instead of the other way around[which is what it is]...the idea of courtesy at the dealership where i work is that they let you go at noon and pay you for the rest of the day.management may have known for a week or more...but you get no notice,they're in no way obligated to that,so really,why should you be?
 
I used to hate all my jobs and all my bosses. Then one day, I looked at all the different jobs in all the different industries and all the different bosses and I finally found the common denominator - me.

Hating your work is a recipe for misery. Your misery.

Believe me, I'm no Pollyanna. I know the workplace is strictly about the money and there's no loyalty. But, like most folks, I've got mouths to feed and bills to pay so I gotta do it. No sense giving myself an ulcer over it.
 
ITS TOTALLY UNCOOL! :nono:

Well Folks, I started My new job this morning as a State Inspection Mechanic for a major car dealer. :banana:
My old job I was on call whenever they needed a car inspected.
(mainly towards the end of the month)
Yer Paycheck have the Ol Lady lookin at Ya like a Roach. :sigh:
LOL!
So NO, :no: I didn't worry about giving em a 2 week notice...And My old Boss is like :gigglemad.
I interviewed Tuesday and they needed Me to start Today...Hadda roll with it.
(a lotta folks are off on the weekend and they bring their cars in for simple service)
Here at My new job, I get at least 30 hours a week at full mechanic's pay.
Changin tires, Oil Changes, Replacing Switches and other stuff to get the trade in cars inspected for resell.
I already know most of the other Mechanics that work here.
(Yeah...They pulled My new Boss's coat tail for Me) :D

YES! :yes:...But I'm still gonna be checkin at the local thrift store for My audio stuff though. :scratch2:

The way I see it is you left an uncertain job (being on call) for a much more solid proposition...regular hours and a bigger paycheck. If your former boss does not understand and at least empathize with you on that issue then he is the one with the problem....It is nice to give notice but sometimes you have to seize a better opportunity when one comes along.

Congrats on the new and better job, Cruzah! Sounds like you've seized the carp and found one!:D I'm agreeing with icenine.
 
And there are just as many employees who just want to collect a paycheck, health benefits, a 401K, vacation, and all the sick days they can accumulate without putting any more effort into their job than is necessary because the world owes it to them.

Two way street, it is.:thmbsp:

Really? I seriously doubt your assertion. There just aren't that many employees around anymore who can afford to take the position you claim they can. I and thousands like me work our tails off everyday just because there's a job to be done, and somebody has to do it...well. We're well paid because of what we do, not in spite of it. I'm proud of my work...and my work ethic. Nobody owes me anything other than what I've earned. And I'm Libertarian and Union organized.

Yeah, you're right. All bosses are @$$holes, and all employees are pistol whipped slaves.

I played the game of getting the college education and going into the work force. After about 10 years, I went into business for myself. I figured I was just as smart as any boss I had, and I could do a job better than most employees I worked with. The only thing holding me back was myself, if I allowed it. And I didn't need a union to fight my battles for me. They only have your best interest in mind while getting paid to do it.


And I was taught that my only limitations were self-inflicted. No, it's not easy, but it IS doable.:thmbsp:

That's a factually inaccurate statement ( see bolded.) The only reason folks aren't working six day workweeks with no overtime right alongside theirs and/or others children is union organization. It's the only way the owners/corporation will listen and negotiate a living wage and decent, safe working conditions with their employees. One ancilliary benefit is that the unions float everyones boat by their actions. If a non-union company doesn't follow suit their employees will leave to work at their competitions union shop. Market forces at the work in the workplace.:thmbsp:
 
If you plan on giving the employer an "oil field quittin' " never fill out an "exit interview" either.
Most states have an "Employee at Will" law in place and people need to understand that can work in the emplyee's behalf just as much as the employer's.
If an employee needs to go, then it's time to go. Fill out as little as possible and sign off on only what's absolutely neccessary on your behalf.
As an employee, you have much more power and control than your employer would lead you to believe.
When it comes time to "cut the rug", why not just cut it your way?
 
Our jobs are primarily about relationships IME. There are studies that show money is fourth or fifth on people's list of what's most important to them at their jobs.

Sounds like you've got a better situation now; getting to work with the other guys side-by-side. Sounds like there may be some fun to be had (I hope, anyway)
 
Of course, the OP could still offer to do call for the old boss when he is off at the new job, if that is in anyway possible....that is always the best sort of outcome...but may not be possible in his line of work....
 
Congradulations on you're new job. Save some money and open you're own shop. Do some research on what it takes, capital, taxes, labor, etc. Two weeks notice is usually the way to go, but we all work to support our familys and ourselfs. Definetly not for the fun of it. I have mixed emotions about unions as I have seen the good and the bad, however most fed laws have fixed the bad. People not knowing the labor laws and fighting abusive employers is the major reason unions still exist. I have seen unions run companies into the ground. Just like us, the employers are there to make money also. I'm 51, have had many jobs, been self employed, with unions, without unions, give notice and not given notice. I do believe in giving notice and most employers will let you if you say I would like to give notice. However the bottom line is do what is necessary. Again congradulations and good luck.
 
Why?


Steve

Because sometimes the truth is not what they are after. Upon filling an exit interview out at a job in the middle of my two weeks notice, the district manager called my manager and said is he gone yet. If not get him outta there. Course he's not there now and I could go back, but guess what, I wont they still got the same problems.
 
Why?


Steve

When leaving an employer the employee may be under more duress than they realize. You may give your soon to be ex- employer extra "points" or information than is neccessary just to make yourself feel good about parting company. If you somewhere down the road decide you want to reopen your "relationship" in civil court because "I never received my last check." or benefits "promised upon separation" were never fulfilled by the ex-employer and you fill out your exit interview in a positive manner that relfects well on that ex-employer, it can and will be used against you.
I'm certainly not a lawyer but I've "Been there - Been that" my share of times.
I feel the less said and the less signed and the less expected, the better.
When it's time to pull the plug, just do it.
 
When it's time to pull the plug, just do it.

I did a exit survey for Johnson Controls a few years ago.
I explained that I thought the way things were going we would lose our contract with Intel.

JCI lost their contract 6 months later. :yes:

It felt good to put that prediction in writing.


Steve
 
And I didn't need a union to fight my battles for me. They only have your best interest in mind while getting paid to do it.

The most reliable and laudable of motives according to you businessmen, you can't have it both ways Bubba.
 
Last edited:
Here's the perspective, for what it's worth, for someone who has worked in the Human Resources field for going on 30 years:

- Most employees don't wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and think: "Today, my work performance will simply be only a "meets expectations". Yet, most employee's work performance is about equal to their peers in the organization (think standard bell curve). That includes folks whose job title happens to be manager or supervisor.

- Most employees don't wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and think: "How am I going to screw my employer today?" However, some do.

- Most employees want to do a good job. However, not nearly enough employees work in a system where they will produce good results if they do a good job. Employers need to look closely at the work and how it is performed to make sure that all obstacles / barriers to success are removed.

- Most employers want to create and environment that inspires employee loyalty, and were the "average" employee succeeds. However, many employers don't really know how to create that environment, despite their best intentions.

- Most employees will complain about their pay end benefits. However, survey data typically reveals that pay and benefits are not the top reasons that employees are satisfied / dissatisfied with their job, and pay and benefits are typically not the top reason that employees quit their jobs.

- Most individuals are promoted to supervisor roles because they are good in their non-supervisor (line) jobs. Some employers don't provide adequate training in supervisor / leadership skills to individuals that are promoted into leadership roles.

- The higher up the organization an individual goes, the less that "technical skills" determine success in that individual's job. More important for supervisors/managers tend to be effective leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills. Most companies, again, fail to provide adequate or on-going training in these skills.

The above are generalizations, but are based on many years of observation and experience, as well as information gleaned from data / surveys / trade publications.
 
The most reliable and laudable of motives according to you businessmen, you can't have it both ways Bubba.
Well, "Bubba", if your lot in life was to work for a company that required a union to take care of you business for you, so be it. Not all companies are run that way.:thmbsp:
 
Well, "Bubba", if your lot in life was to work for a company that required a union to take care of you business for you, so be it. Not all companies are run that way.:thmbsp:

People in my trade who were non union made far less than I did. And I retired at 55 with a generous and fully funded pension. If you can explain how that wasn't in my interest I'll call you Aristotle.

Employees have more power when they band together to bargain and set conditions, that IS taking care of their own business. You appear to be in the paradoxical position of thinking people should take care of their own business and then disapproving when they do.
 
I have friends in unions. I'm obscenely jealous of them. They worked HARD to get in, they work HARD to earn their keep and they work HARD for their job security and for the generous pension after 20-25 years. When a buddy of mine is 45 he'll be able to retire and move on to the next state of his life. His father is about to retire from the same company with a paid of house and a great pension. Him and his wife are going to travel and enjoy themselves. Not bad for crawling around subway tunnels for two decades. The American dream at it's finest. Thanks unions.
 
(...)
- The higher up the organization an individual goes, the less that "technical skills" determine success in that individual's job. More important for supervisors/managers tend to be effective leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills. Most companies, again, fail to provide adequate or on-going training in these skills.

The above are generalizations, but are based on many years of observation and experience, as well as information gleaned from data / surveys / trade publications.

I've been a supervising manager in the non-profit sector for about 13 years now and i still have to remind myself that my job is mostly about relationships, not tasks. Thankfully, i have the support and mentoring of the Executive Director (my boss) who thinks the same way.

I think too often, supervising managers may be working for companies or for bosses that don't understand the primacy of good relationships with one's reports. And those relationships takes time and energy that doesn't always look productive in the moment; like the time I spend standing and talking with one of my peeps about what he did with his weekend or ask another how their sister-in-laws cancer treatments are going--and sticking around for the full answer.

This quality of relationship not only enriches the work environment, it builds a foundation on which personnel problems can be address should the need arise.
 
People in my trade who were non union made far less than I did. And I retired at 55 with a generous and fully funded pension. If you can explain how that wasn't in my interest I'll call you Aristotle.

Employees have more power when they band together to bargain and set conditions, that IS taking care of their own business. You appear to be in the paradoxical position of thinking people should take care of their own business and then disapproving when they do.
You misunderstand me. I realize that there are people who only want to work until they're 55, then retire on a fixed income for the rest of their life. That's great, and if they have a good union to take care of that for them, I fully agree. But there are also people who did what you did who weren't in a union that made a lot more money than you. I guess it all depended on the company they worked for.
 
Back
Top Bottom