• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

It's rainin' Maggies here!

bobabode

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi all, Just picked up a '57 Brittany console. Very interesting amp inside. It's stamped 162BB on the chassis and it's a biamp model! Also tucked in next to the 162 amp is a 101AA amp for an extension speaker. The speakers are two Jensen horns & a 15" with a 35 oz. magnet and a 12". The last two are maggie branded (eic codes)
The 162BB tube compliment are 6V6GT x 3, 6V6GTA x 2,
5U4GA x 2, 12AX7A x1 and a 6AT6.
The little 101AA amp has 6V6GTA X 2
(Sylvania blackplates) 5Y3GT x 1(also Sylvania blackplate) and a 12AX7.
I'm like the proverbial kid in a candy store! Now if I could find a schematic. (Calling Tom, calling Tom Bavis.):D
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Oh yeah before anyone says.......:worthless :D :smoke: More pics below in post#5
 

Attachments

  • Magnavox162bb,101aa 001.jpg
    Magnavox162bb,101aa 001.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Magnavox162bb,101aa 002.jpg
    Magnavox162bb,101aa 002.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Magnavox162bb,101aa 003.jpg
    Magnavox162bb,101aa 003.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Magnavox162bb,101aa 004.jpg
    Magnavox162bb,101aa 004.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Magnavox162bb,101aa 005.jpg
    Magnavox162bb,101aa 005.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
wow very nice pickup! That's one I would have passed on for being a solid state Asstrosonic by the looks of the first small photo and the cabinet, I guess it was hiding tubey goodness! I'll have to look more close next time...
 
And........ I picked these up while waiting for Pjkaf to send me an extra clean 175-67!
 

Attachments

  • 3k13m43od5O45Z35Q2abu6561634d70431715.jpg
    3k13m43od5O45Z35Q2abu6561634d70431715.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 126
wow very nice pickup! That's one I would have passed on for being a solid state Asstrosonic by the looks of the first small photo and the cabinet, I guess it was hiding tubey goodness! I'll have to look more close next time...

Sorry for the misunderstanding here's the Imperial Brittany that those amp pics belong to.Mea culpa :stupid: And I'm pretty sure you are right about the Asstrosonic ID
 

Attachments

  • maggie brittany 006.jpg
    maggie brittany 006.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 111
  • maggie brittany 007.jpg
    maggie brittany 007.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 58
  • maggie brittany 002.jpg
    maggie brittany 002.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 94
  • maggie brittany 003.jpg
    maggie brittany 003.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 96
  • maggie brittany 001.jpg
    maggie brittany 001.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 70
Wow, Brittany is stacked.

That is one heck of a haul, I would love to hear that thing post re-cap. :tresbon:
 
Yes she is! This is a step up from the 175 amps that I've been messing with. Hopefully I can call on you guys for help with this.
Biamped from 1957! That is too cool.
 
Nice! The AMP162 looks to be the same type chassis as the AMP150, that I converted into THIS:

attachment.php


PP 6L6 amp, using the stock output transformer from the four 6V6s, and a second output transformer of the same type, installed into the AMP150 chassis. Used the AMP175 circuit, modded for higher B+ voltage and drive (to run the 6L6s). Power supply converted to SS rectification, with a second choke (seen where the rectifier tubes originally were, in front of the power transformer in the pic).

Sounded great!!

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Nice, Gordon! Those black metal tubes give that one a look all it's own. :D
Fusion powered! Another first from Magnavox !
Did I say it's raining? I'm picking up a Berkshire tomorrow. Same amp as the Brittany. I think I've used up a bit karma this week. Maybe I ought to buy a lottery ticket.:scratch2:
Ohmmmmm mani padme Ohm:D
 

Attachments

  • 3k43m13oc5T05W35P0b357ac7f16fa2fa1185.jpg
    3k43m13oc5T05W35P0b357ac7f16fa2fa1185.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 3mb3o73l15O25T55W3b3582c13a7397ae168b.jpg
    3mb3o73l15O25T55W3b3582c13a7397ae168b.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 49
Nice, Gordon! Those black metal tubes give that one a look all it's own. :D
Fusion powered! Another first from Magnavox !
Did I say it's raining? I'm picking up a Berkshire tomorrow. Same amp as the Brittany. I think I've used up a bit karma this week. Maybe I ought to buy a lottery ticket.:scratch2:
Ohmmmmm mani padme Ohm:D

I don't know how far east you are of PCH, but that's some sweet, sweet rain. Are the pair above powered speakers? The cab on the Brittany is really beautiful.

(or is the pic above the Berkshire? :dunno:)
*edit, I figured it out. It's the Berkshire cab that I like. And the twins.
 
Last edited:
Nice! The AMP162 looks to be the same type chassis as the AMP150, that I converted into THIS:

attachment.php


PP 6L6 amp, using the stock output transformer from the four 6V6s, and a second output transformer of the same type, installed into the AMP150 chassis. Used the AMP175 circuit, modded for higher B+ voltage and drive (to run the 6L6s). Power supply converted to SS rectification, with a second choke (seen where the rectifier tubes originally were, in front of the power transformer in the pic).

What are you using to cover the tubes and/or give them that diffused look? Great looking amp, seriously!
 
What are you using to cover the tubes and/or give them that diffused look? Great looking amp, seriously!

They are metal envelope tubes... that's just how they were made.
Depending on brand some had a more glossy finish, some had more mat finish.
Pic below not mine, just for reference.

2930_01.JPG
 
Nice! The AMP162 looks to be the same type chassis as the AMP150, that I converted into THIS:

<image snipped>

PP 6L6 amp, using the stock output transformer from the four 6V6s, and a second output transformer of the same type, installed into the AMP150 chassis. Used the AMP175 circuit, modded for higher B+ voltage and drive (to run the 6L6s). Power supply converted to SS rectification, with a second choke (seen where the rectifier tubes originally were, in front of the power transformer in the pic).

Sounded great!!

Regards,
Gordon.

Gordon, I think I have some of those chassis around. Do you recall which numbers on the output transformers? If I've got a matching pair I would like to do the same this spring. Can you share your AMP175 circuit mods for higher B+. Somehow I think there might be more mods than that :scratch2:.
-Buck
 
I don't know how far east you are of PCH, but that's some sweet, sweet rain. Are the pair above powered speakers? The cab on the Brittany is really beautiful.

(or is the pic above the Berkshire? :dunno:)
*edit, I figured it out. It's the Berkshire cab that I like. And the twins.

The pair have a 175 in one. the other is an unpowered speaker. Off topic, went to see Savoy Brown last night! In a dinner theater, no less! Great show and the food wasn't too shabby either.:tresbon:
 
nice finds! i tend to stay away from the metal tubes though. the metal makes it harder to see when things have gone awry.
 
Hi all, The Berkshire's got a 150CB amp in it. The ebony cabinet's a basket case. It has seen some weather. So, I guess this one is to be gutted:tears: It has the shut off timer. So far the 6V6Gt's work, trying them in a 175. They're all Magnavox branded Raytheon. I'll have to see if there's any difference between the 162 amp and the 150. So far I see that the 150 has a volume pot on the HF amp.
I've been thinking of utilizing the biamp feature now that I've two of them. Guess I better search around and see if anyone else has done this. Any suggestions, advice or opinions would be very welcome. Cheers, Bob
 

Attachments

  • maggie brittany 015.jpg
    maggie brittany 015.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 33
  • maggie brittany 016.jpg
    maggie brittany 016.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 29
Man, I bet those will be pretty kickass, once you refurb them, congrats! :thmbsp: Funny how you got them one right after the other too, that'd be hard to plan it that way. :D
 
Gordon, I think I have some of those chassis around. Do you recall which numbers on the output transformers? If I've got a matching pair I would like to do the same this spring. Can you share your AMP175 circuit mods for higher B+. Somehow I think there might be more mods than that :scratch2:.
-Buck

Hi Buck,The #s on mine are xc330024-1 and 330024-1h. Don't know what the xc or the h stand for. Anyone? I seem to recall a OPT list on the magnavoxfriends site. Bob
 
Back
Top Bottom