• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

I've got my "perfect" setup. Any other AKers reach the proverbial finish line?

i dont know that i will ever truly end my quest however i dont feel the need to make drastic changes in my system like i used to. im always open to try a new piece but here recently i have actually been quite impressed personally with the way my system sounds.

i really feel like the move to separates took it up a notch for me. and i have some pretty nice receivers...
That's pretty much where I'm at, very happy with my system - just need to add a turntable back in.
 
I don't Think Anyone is Really at a Point where They are Done Building Their Systems......at Least For Me I Always seem to Find Gear that I Want to Audition in My Space...........And the Quest Continues :idea:

,Mike.
 
Now it sounds like it's time for speaker cable and interconnect upgrades. Maybe tweak speaker positioning a bit and add some room treatments. There's always plenty left to do once you reach the end of the line:).
 
For what it`s worth, I`m totally satisfied with my main system, with only a possible future upgrade in a higher quality DAC or OPPO BRP.. When a excellent recorded PURE AUDIO BluRay put`s Elton John`s(others too) voice and piano about 8 feet in front of me with air, depth and acoustical space like the performance is in a nice high quality intimate club.. Like I had on occasion to experience while mixing sound as FOH sound man in the late seventies/early eighties .. So-- for me--- stick a fork in my rear `cause I have been into high quality audio since 1973 and am done.. This tri-amped system is digitally time aligned with a very high grade pro crossover & room voiced/tuned with my Integra`s preamp`s fractional octave high resolution digital Audysey equalizer with it`s time align for the rest of the surround speakers, which are not used outside the HT mode, unless I wish to sample the pure audio`s BluRay offerings of surround mixes, which are often interesting/good.. Thank you very much
DSCN0039.JPG
DSCN0037.JPG
DSCN0035.JPG
DSCN0025.JPG
DSCN0019.JPG
DSCN0016.JPG
and tired of chasing the last micro improvement.. Regards OKB
 
My problem is that whenever I put together a system that I feel is 'finished' or 'perfect' I find another space around the house that ABSOLUTELY NEEDS A SOUND SYSTEM. I worry that when I finish with the basement/shop system I will start on the bathrooms.
 
dyche01, no need for me, as 5 rooms distributed are more than enough.. The bathrooms and kitchen are handled by powerful nearby systems and they would not be classified as critical listening enviroments, though that is in my man cave.. Your lifestyle/situation will be as you dictate.. As should be for you and anybody else.. Thanks for your comments and feed back.. OKB
 
I think I've reached a spot of comfort for the main setup, as far as the amps and speakers are concerned. Well turntable, tuner, cassette and cables too. The front end is a good balance of vintage enough (mid-late 80's) but also still new enough to have benefitted from the use of computers in amplifier and speaker design.
 
For what it`s worth, I`m totally satisfied with my main system, with only a possible future upgrade in a higher quality DAC or OPPO BRP.. When a excellent recorded PURE AUDIO BluRay put`s Elton John`s(others too) voice and piano about 8 feet in front of me with air, depth and acoustical space like the performance is in a nice high quality intimate club.. Like I had on occasion to experience while mixing sound as FOH sound man in the late seventies/early eighties .. So-- for me--- stick a fork in my rear `cause I have been into high quality audio since 1973 and am done.. This tri-amped system is digitally time aligned with a very high grade pro crossover & room voiced/tuned with my Integra`s preamp`s fractional octave high resolution digital Audysey equalizer with it`s time align for the rest of the surround speakers, which are not used outside the HT mode, unless I wish to sample the pure audio`s BluRay offerings of surround mixes, which are often interesting/good.. Thank you very much View attachment 802528 View attachment 802532 View attachment 802533 View attachment 802535 View attachment 802543 View attachment 802544 and tired of chasing the last micro improvement.. Regards OKB
Wow are you kidding me, 4 x Mcintosh mc275 +++++ that some serious gear. " Snatch the pebble grasshopper"....
"it's time for you to go"
 
Wow are you kidding me, 4 x Mcintosh mc275 +++++ that some serious gear. " Snatch the pebble grasshopper"....
"it's time for you to go"
Thanks L-82, tell that to my HVAC !! My Brother-in-Law and I just finished listening to Pink Floyd`s DSOTM & Wish You Were Here, both MFSL versions and the thermostat thinks that I have a couple of windows wide open during and for a period of time after I shut down the sonic space heater audio producing system !! Ah-- but the price one pays for those all important tube amplified highs and mids.. Yes !! :thumbsup:
 
I had my system dialed in at my last two home listening spaces. My audio system was satisfactory to me. Then, I moved into a small 450 sqft acoustically challenged studio apartment. It is so small that making the bed, opening a window, closing a curtain, adjusting the blinds makes the SE-9 reconfigures itself. My walls are solid concrete walls finished with plaster as well as the ceiling. The floors are 18" ceramic tiles. There is no center listening space. in fact I can sit on the couch and touch my right speaker. It's like the Rolling Stones playing live in a 200 sq ft bar built like a bomb shelter. The music doesn't come from the stage but attacks your senses all around you, It feels like your standing in the front row of the right side stage speaker stack. For the last couple years it has been the Presonus amp and headphones.
 
I had my system dialed in at my last two home listening spaces. My audio system was satisfactory to me. Then, I moved into a small 450 sqft acoustically challenged studio apartment. It is so small that making the bed, opening a window, closing a curtain, adjusting the blinds makes the SE-9 reconfigures itself. My walls are solid concrete walls finished with plaster as well as the ceiling. The floors are 18" ceramic tiles. There is no center listening space. in fact I can sit on the couch and touch my right speaker. It's like the Rolling Stones playing live in a 200 sq ft bar built like a bomb shelter. The music doesn't come from the stage but attacks your senses all around you, It feels like your standing in the front row of the right side stage speaker stack. For the last couple years it has been the Presonus amp and headphones.
There were no other living location options? When (if) I move, top priority is the listening area. Although, I must admit I could do better than I have - 1400 sq/ft but the room I'm is pretty decent. All that great gear and your stuck with headphones :no:
 
...
So, in conclusion: After potentially many weeks/months/years/decades, has anyone in the forum arrived at the sound that suits their listening space, ears, budget, et al. and is totally satisfied? As with any hobby based on consumerism, it's difficult to draw a line in the sand and arrive at a final destination. How many AKers have arrived?
Is it mere bragging to claim satisfaction when one's financial situation makes that the only option anyway? If so, I'm going to merely brag. I went to RMAF recently, and can truthfully say that I have arrived at the sound I want. And with the exception of a turntable, I am totally satisfied. If I can repair the one in my avatar, that will suffice. But my preferences turntable-wise would basically double the cost of my system, so that won't happen anytime soon! Everything downstream will stay indefinitely, as will my SACD player. I'm basically there.
 
I don't think I'll ever reach the "finish line" or build "the perfect setup". One thing I've found across all my hobbies is once you reach your endgame you'll still find something that needs a slight tweak or a better component to make it even more perfect. I don't think it ever ends and even if you settle down with a main system you're happy with you'll eventually end up building secondary systems for other rooms lol.
 
I had my system dialed in at my last two home listening spaces. My audio system was satisfactory to me. Then, I moved into a small 450 sqft acoustically challenged studio apartment. It is so small that making the bed, opening a window, closing a curtain, adjusting the blinds makes the SE-9 reconfigures itself. My walls are solid concrete walls finished with plaster as well as the ceiling. The floors are 18" ceramic tiles. There is no center listening space. in fact I can sit on the couch and touch my right speaker. It's like the Rolling Stones playing live in a 200 sq ft bar built like a bomb shelter. The music doesn't come from the stage but attacks your senses all around you, It feels like your standing in the front row of the right side stage speaker stack. For the last couple years it has been the Presonus amp and headphones.
Ouch !! I feel for you Submariner :(.. Acoustically challenged" !?!? More like "acoustically Hostile !! :no: Mercy Sakes Alive !! I do hope you find a better room to listen to music via speakers in the future Sir. Regard, OKB
 
The setup that I have at any point in time is perfect. Then I read about or see something I want and it's not perfect till I get it. If I do then it's perfact again.
 
Last edited:
The setup that I have at any point in time is perfect. Then read about or see something I want and it's not perfect till I get it. If I do then it's perfact again.
Human nature: Audio Perfection is an addiction / Illnesses, but in a good way - except for our bank accounts :cool:
 
Back
Top Bottom