• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL 4312 as a living room speaker, especially the new 4312SE

Hi, I would appreciate your advice,

I have been looking for JBL speakers for my living room stereo system for a couple of years. I would like to complete the style and sound of my vintage Marantz stuff. Then I found these:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/jbl-4312se-speakers-celebrates-brands-70th-anniversary

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/id_4312se.html

They are apparently heavier than the 4312E, from 18->25 KG. The woofer seem different to.

I have never heard the 4312, let alone these. I have heard ,I think, the L100c and L166. I have been reluctant to pay the high price for these 70s speakers, around 1K USD here.

I play mainly 60-70-80s rock music.

They would be paired with my Marantz stuff, 2270 -> 170 DC

Is it a good idea? are they to small for living room stereo? I guess my living room is small to US standard.

I will have to order these from Denmark, as Sweden dont have any sources for this JBL line.

I will be paying roughly 3K USD for these. Is it insane or is it a great speaker that will last a long time?

Thanks for your input,
 
Register to hide this ad
I will be paying roughly 3K USD for these. Is it insane or is it a great speaker that will last a long time?

Only you can decide if the $ is insane or not. I would say it is a safe bet that the 4312SE is built to last for decades just like the earlier versions of the 4312 (and similar 4311, L100, and so on).

If you ask me, you can't find a speaker that looks more like it was built to play rock & roll :rockon:
 
They look like fun. will match well with your 2270, as this was a common pairing back in the '70s. The L166's would also work well. As always your ears and wallet must decide.
 
Thanks for the input,

Well the money is alot, but I usualy keep things quite a long time when I like them.

My ears cant decide this, as the closest store is in another country=(
 
They tend to have a very dominant midrange to lower highs and like a Klipsch Hersey the bass really suffers below 60 HZ. They aren't very efficient and can only handle `100 watts. So unless you are listening with in a couple of meters they suffer dynamically. But if you are a true JBL fanatic, you might be happy. Get them close to corners to help with the premature bass roll off.
 
Post a thread to our Swedish members, see if you can listen. I can speak for the L166's and 4311's as I own both, the L166's are a better speaker, more balanced. The 4312 also have the aluminum tweeter. The L166's have served me well for 39 years, thus biased opinion! I recently added a newer pair of L200t3 only 25 years old, but a nice up grade.
 
They tend to have a very dominant midrange to lower highs and like a Klipsch Hersey the bass really suffers below 60 HZ. They aren't very efficient and can only handle `100 watts. So unless you are listening with in a couple of meters they suffer dynamically. But if you are a true JBL fanatic, you might be happy. Get them close to corners to help with the premature bass roll off.

It's great that some members here have heard the 4312SE, they've only been in production for a short while and are generally not well distributed in the US.

Where were you able to audition a pair?
 
They're good speakers; however, those are studio speakers and lack the aethetics you are attempting to achieve for a period system. Sonically, there are numerous speakers that I'd prefer over a 4 decade old design at that price point. Have you looked at UK speakers such as Harbeth, ATC, Tannoy, KEF, or B&W? What brands are available in Sweden?
 
I've been using JBL's for better than 30 years now, and love (or am accustomed to) the "JBL sound". L-100's, L-166's, 4311's, 4312's, 4412's, etc. with both McIntosh & Marantz amplifiers or receivers.
All have been between 50 and 100 watts.
Currently one of my systems combine the Marantz 2270 with a vintage pair of L-100's. These components were made for each other. They are extremely well built, and highly efficient.
Any of these variants, not to mention the new model you've mentioned would be a fine match for your Marantz. Good luck.
 
Thanks for your opinions!

bhunter: the UK speakers are pretty available here, localy both KEF and B&W, and in Sweden also Tannoy. the rest I dont know.

My biggest concern with the 4312SE is the bass respons, but how bad can a 12 inch woofer be?
I read somewhere that they have a new cross over network and the woofer is new for the 4312, same 1200FE-8 as in the more expensive 4429.

Also said to be a significant improvement over the 4312E (same forum thread)

Frequency Response (-6dB): 44Hz - 40kHz

This seem a bit high, 44Hz? or is it because its speced at -6db? a couple of speakers im used to are rated at -3 db, how does this transfer?
 
I have two pair of 4312C Control Monitors--one pair with the Alnico 2213 woofers and a later pair with the 2213H ferrite woofers--great "rock" speakers, but they do roll off relatively high, so I supplement them with subs. Same for my L100's with the 123A Alnico woofers. I also have a pair of S38's in my bedroom, and even though they are significantly smaller, they do get down to 45Hz pretty effectively. Just a point of reference.
 
Jonas, I have the 4429s. I can tell you, the 1200fe woofer in this box is probably the best 12 inch I have ever heard in my living room. It does not go to 20Hz as my 4333Bs do, but the base is much "sappier" and the lower mid range is very flat and clear. I have always run with base EQ, but don't with these guys. Contrary to other statements, the 4312SE is a newer design then the 40 year old stuff. The JBL tradition of "Bullet Proof" drivers is still current in their offerings.
 
Jonas, I have the 4429s. I can tell you, the 1200fe woofer in this box is probably the best 12 inch I have ever heard in my living room. It does not go to 20Hz as my 4333Bs do, but the base is much "sappier" and the lower mid range is very flat and clear. I have always run with base EQ, but don't with these guys. Contrary to other statements, the 4312SE is a newer design then the 40 year old stuff. The JBL tradition of "Bullet Proof" drivers is still current in their offerings.

Perfect, that was the feedback I needed:thumbsup:

I sent an email now to the danish dealer, ordering me a pair=) They told me on friday that they expected to have them late mars. Maybe I can have them early april.:D

Im thrilled, I even started rearranging the living room for the speakers to my wifes "big excitement".
 
I had a pair of 4312's from the late 70's in my living room until just a month ago. They had amazing imaging and soundstage. Not the deepest bass I ever heard but my personal taste for such things is such that I don't really want the deep tones that other speakers (or subwoofers) can provide when I'm listening to music. If these new fangled 4312somethings sound like the old ones I'd grab them. Of course, mine were walnut. Sold them a couple weeks ago for about $600 american.
 
I'd like to add, the only reason the 4312SE exists today is due to Japan. The Japanese have always gone their own way but one of the enduring characteristics is a well built speaker and they are willing to pay for it. Some of their speakers have insane build quality, often never found in anything sold in the US. The 4312SE is often seen in Japanese coffee and music places. Also, the older 4312's are found everywhere there. They are a well liked speaker. For my part, I felt they were one of the most tonally accurate speakers I ever heard. It helped that even the American sold versions were comparatively well built. Good boxes, drivers and crossovers. Pull out a 4312's woofer and pull out an Advent woofer. I'll take the JBL by a mile. As far as the looks, I like the quasi industrial modern look. Helps that what is inside, particularly the woofer is a beast. Not that it matters, but resale for the entire 4312 line is quite good.
 
I just picked up a brand new pair of JBL Studio 580 speakers. They are pretty incredible for their price. There is also a 590 model that is a true beast.
jbl_studio_580_1.jpg

They are a 2-way with (2) 6.5" mid-bass drivers, and a symbiotic HF driver that crosses over at 1.5K. The drivers blend seamlessly with each other. They can produce stereo everywhere. They are rated at 6 ohms, so your Marantz's power output will increase to around 100-110 watts RMS per channel.

Mine are hooked up to a Sunfire II and its output at 6 ohms is about 500 watts RMS per channel. I also have an REL sub to support the very bottom of the speakers 40 to 40K response curve. The 590 is claimed to be rated at 35 to 40k.

They are considered as part of the Synthesis lineup.

Only available in black color and online:
http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+580.html?dwvar_STUDIO 580_color=Black#start=1
http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+590.html?dwvar_STUDIO 590_color=Black#start=1

Wayner
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom