• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL 4344 Value (2405H, 2425J, 2122H, 2235H)

MIKALIS

Member
I am planning to buy a pair of JBL 4344s with the later all ferrite configuration + Titanium driver diaphragm (Early versions had alnico magnets in the 2405 UHF and 2421 driver). Asking price is $3.8k (USD) firm in nearly mint condition. Units seem to be all original and I don't notice anything off with the crossovers. Original grilles in good condition and no tears / rips. Fair price? Or too much? I do know that early alnico units are more desirable when sold separately.
 

Attachments

  • 1756528111371.png
    1756528111371.png
    385.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 1756528121052.png
    1756528121052.png
    372.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 1756528132739.png
    1756528132739.png
    332 KB · Views: 28
  • 1756528142297.png
    1756528142297.png
    309.9 KB · Views: 31
Register to hide this ad
You better grab them fast at that way below
Market value price like by 1/2!
Bobhorn
And they are the Rarest of the series
Other than the larger 4345’s
 
I'm a buyer at that price as well!
Run!!!


Are these being sold by an estate sale or a stereo shop of some sort?

I say this because you may be able to come to the table with $3k cash and save a few extra bucks.
 
I'm a buyer at that price as well!
Run!!!


Are these being sold by an estate sale or a stereo shop of some sort?

I say this because you may be able to come to the table with $3k cash and save a few extra bucks.
Stereo shop, his prices are mostly fair but I know the man very well, he wouldn't take that lowball, maybe $3750 or something.

You recon the 4344s would still fetch over 5 grands with the later ferrite units?
 
You better grab them fast at that way below
Market value price like by 1/2!
Bobhorn
And they are the Rarest of the series
Other than the larger 4345’s
He has the 4345s too, priced at $6500.

I have tried both in my listening space however and the 4345s may be slightly too big ( I am considering it, I don't know if a 9x11 room can demonstrate its full capability however)

You recon that the 4344 can hold its value (atleast what I am paying)? I've always wondered how vintage JBLs are so expensive since the the sum of all the units are approximately $2.5k.
 
Last edited:
A 9x11’ room is woefully small for such a large pair
Of high output monitors
But hey why not eventually you can move them into a much larger space
They will over power that room with 12 watts!
Bobhorn
Generally speaking big Jbls do nothing special until you power them up a bit.!
 
Last edited:
A 9x11’ room is woefully small for such a large pair
Of high output monitors
But hey why not eventually you can move them into a much larger space
They will over power that room with 12 watts!
Bobhorn
Generally speaking big Jbls do nothing special until you power them up a bit.!
12 watts... thats a lucky coincidence

I have an EL156 power amp that outputs exactly 12w at max, purchased for some klipschorns that never came.



Offered him $10,000 cash for both, lets see what he says!
 
Those 4345s have all of the wrong components and repop cabinets, totally worthless, I’m willing to take them off of your hands for free.

Kidding of course, very nice find. Personally I prefer the later ferrite drivers, but we all have our own preferences of course.

12W will make them sound good, but a couple of hundred will make them sound great. Without exception, I have found that big JBLs (as well as others) don’t by spec “need” more power, but for some reason driving them with an amplifier with lots of headroom makes a difference. 12W of 2kHz will be very very loud up close, 12W of 30Hz won’t be as impactful as neither music nor human ears are linear.
 
Those 4345s have all of the wrong components and repop cabinets, totally worthless, I’m willing to take them off of your hands for free.

Kidding of course, very nice find. Personally I prefer the later ferrite drivers, but we all have our own preferences of course.

12W will make them sound good, but a couple of hundred will make them sound great. Without exception, I have found that big JBLs (as well as others) don’t by spec “need” more power, but for some reason driving them with an amplifier with lots of headroom makes a difference. 12W of 2kHz will be very very loud up close, 12W of 30Hz won’t be as impactful as neither music nor human ears are linear.
at 95db sensitivity, maybe I could run them with the solid state yamaha b2 which outputs around 110-120 watts per channel. Can go loud but will also sound good at low volumes.

Personally I prefer the later ferrite drivers, but we all have our own preferences of course.


If I recall correctly, only the JBL 4344 had multiple variants correct? 4345 configuration was always 2405, 2420, 2245h, 2122h with alnico magnets for the driver and uhf.
 
I do know the 4340-43’s were all Alnico.
My previous 4350’s were all Alnico
With the 4343b’s switch to the ceramic mid and woofer.
Bobhorn
 
I do know the 4340-43’s were all Alnico.
My previous 4350’s were all Alnico
With the 4343b’s switch to the ceramic mid and woofer.
Bobhorn

The models with the B (4343B, 4333B etc) use ferrite, A or original is all alnico up until 4344.

I think the 4343b had 2 versions, 2215h and 2231h for the woofer. correct me if I am wrong but apparently the ceramic one is not very up to standard.
 
Update:

I went to finish the deal today,
4344s looked good and I have paid him the full 3.5k.
I have scheduled a moving van which will move it to my house tomorrow.

Regarding the 4345s, the cabinets look a bit off. Aren't they supposed to be walnut? Looks a bit too dark. Safe to assume that its a custom / remade cab?
 

Attachments

  • 1756726370431.png
    1756726370431.png
    685.8 KB · Views: 21
They came in Black Plywood, Walnut, or white. ,
They Were probably Re-finished. Do they have the serial #'s?
Close or consecutive?
 
They came in Black Plywood, Walnut, or white. ,
They Were probably Re-finished. Do they have the serial #'s?
Close or consecutive?
Close, both are in the 12xxx's
Pretty bummed that he redid it last minute, it was still walnut last week when it first arrived (from the image above) :no:


He does have a pair of JBL 4348s too tho which he wants $5k for.... hmmmmmm :idea:
 
Well the 4348’s were an export item only.
and from what I understand are just a refined “better horns”. And probably better xovers, version of the 4344’s.
if nothing else would be the Rarest JBL’s In the USA
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom