• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL 4430's to complete my dream system

It's funny because the 4430 parts I aquired before came from AZ also. The shipping of these isn't cheap, they are around 150 lbs each with the steel attached. But the seller helped a bunch in finding the best way to get it done. They have some minor scratches and screw holes to fix but the corners are perfect. I can pretty much fix anything thats made of wood so I think they should be easy to get right. I actually have them sold for almost twice what I paid but I'm holding out for now. If I like them as much as I think I will when finished, they might be my one set of speakers that will stay. At any rate, it should be a fun restore with equity, my favorite! :yes:

Ah hah! I was one of the people that put in an offer on those 4430's but obviously mine wasnt accepted. I was surprised as I only offered $50 less then they went for and offered to pick them up locally.

Oh well, I'll have to be content with only a pair of Altec Model 19's. :D
 
Ah hah! I was one of the people that put in an offer on those 4430's but obviously mine wasnt accepted. I was surprised as I only offered $50 less then they went for and offered to pick them up locally.

Oh well, I'll have to be content with only a pair of Altec Model 19's. :D

I'm surprised I got them, I have missed out on a bunch over the years. I'm really stoked to have a pair, they will be playing load enough to keep the tricker treaters at bay this evening. :music:
 
You always have some cool stuff man!

Thanks, I really thought the 4430's would go great with my Pioneer SX 1980, turns out I was right. I ran them behind my Marantz 2325 also but they sound best being pushed by the Pioneer. I was craving some Humble Pie so I jammed well in to the evening, these speakers really fill the room with sound well. They are kinda ugly though, feels like they need a pair of undies on them or a bra, :D good thing they sound so nice.
 
OK, so now after a couple of weeks, how's your hearing?? :music:

Well, i only listened to them for the one night before taking them to my friends cabinet shop where we touched up all the little scuffs and dings.
We did set them up at the shop behind my big Kenwood KR-9600, we had them at about 80 watts for a good hour. My ears are slightly ringing even though I did back off the highs some. I just got them back to the house and will try to make room for them in my living room, at each end of my wall unit.
My friends are all blown away at how powerful but clear these speakers are, i'm extremely happy to have landed a set of these after trying for so long.

I took some pictures of them all finished, (eye candy) :D
 

Attachments

  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Sweetness!

How did you guys do the touch-ups? (I'm always on the lookout for good tips.)

It is a combination thing depending on how bad it is. Believe it or not, to start with, I always wipe my veneer down many times with mineral spirits to get all the old Pledge and oils that have trapped dirt over the years. The next step is to fill chips, holes, etc. Some require wood filler, some on the edges need bondo to have strength. We then color the fills with stains, majic markers, and even a little brush stroke of paint to create the grain if needed. It is a process that evolves as you go, every finish seems to need something a little different. If it is real bad you have little choices, and need to either re-veneer or fill and paint. Howards restore a finish works wonders along with the other touch ups.
 
Cool; sounds pretty close to what I'm figuring out by trial and error.

Hey, when you paint the dark walnut wood grain, what paints (exact type and color and brand) do you use? I have a particular need for that approach ....
 
Cool; sounds pretty close to what I'm figuring out by trial and error.

Hey, when you paint the dark walnut wood grain, what paints (exact type and color and brand) do you use? I have a particular need for that approach ....

Zonk, we use laquer paint and sealers. First clean real well, then we use a clear sealer to seal everthing and not allow anything else to absorb or react with the finish coats. The sealer will also show any reactions with the wood or contaminants, if it does you just sand the area and reseal. Then you add the color in a couple coats, lastly a clear that is whatever gloss you like.

As far as brands go, we use whats on sale. :D
 
Thanks. I always get confused with all the different paints, lacquers, acrylics, etc., so I like to know exact brand names and types and such. I was at the hobby shop looking at their paints, but I got confused at all the types and choices, so I gave up. Still hoping to find out exactly what and where to get the right colors and types.
 
4430's found their final resting place

I rolled these finished 4430's into my living room and have them hooked to my Yamaha surround sound receiver. The cheeks look ok, I guess, :scratch2: next to my AR 1 High Res. speakers. I plan on building a new TV stand with a shelf to accept the SX-1980, the Yammie doesn't have the guts to bring out the best in these speakers so vintage receiver it is. :yes:


http://s1275.photobucket.com/albums.../JBL/?action=view&current=002_zps5e835c02.jpg
 
Wow... I wish i had a 4435 pair.

Who cares how the buttcheeks look as long as the sound is fantastic :)
 
Grandma might require that I put panties or a bra on them when she's over. :D

A nice Victoria's Secret Camisole for the wife probably would help. Then a coordinating one for the speakers would then be acceptable. :D

However, most women could only compete with the 4425's. The 4430's aren't sometimes called Dolly Parton horns for nothing?

happy-birthday-dolly-parton--large-msg-126391279995.jpg
 
A nice Victoria's Secret Camisole for the wife probably would help. Then a coordinating one for the speakers would then be acceptable. :D

However, most women could only compete with the 4425's. The 4430's aren't sometimes called Dolly Parton horns for nothing?

happy-birthday-dolly-parton--large-msg-126391279995.jpg

Yeah, once you've had your hands around the 4430's the 4425's don't stack up. :D Nice thing about these speakers, you can be a butt or a boob guy and still be happy. :yes:
 
Yeah, once you've had your hands around the 4430's the 4425's don't stack up. :D Nice thing about these speakers, you can be a butt or a boob guy and still be happy. :yes:

Actually, they didn't sell that design in Japan because the Japanese associated the "butt cheeks" with a "different part" of a woman's anatomy.

If you've ever seen the Japanese version, you would instantly recognize the difference (they look like "darts" in a blouse), and their version of the "cheeks" doesn't perform nearly as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom