• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL 4435/Altec A7 Magnificent/Bozak Concert Grand

lakegville

Active Member
Strange times around here. All three of these are for sale nearby. I would love to own all three but there is just no way with size and space constraints not to mention cash flow. Why i am reaching out for help. Which one of the three would you go for? They are all priced exactly the same, all original and in good cosmetic condition. I am leaning toward the JBL 4435 but certainly have a open mind because i know the other two are also exceptional I would welcome any input because it always helps me so much with decisions. Especially when they are BIG ones like these!
 
Register to hide this ad
Strange times around here. All three of these are for sale nearby. I would love to own all three but there is just no way with size and space constraints not to mention cash flow. Why i am reaching out for help. Which one of the three would you go for? They are all priced exactly the same, all original and in good cosmetic condition. I am leaning toward the JBL 4435 but certainly have a open mind because i know the other two are also exceptional I would welcome any input because it always helps me so much with decisions. Especially when they are BIG ones like these!
And they are all exactly the same price ?? Wow!
I'd have to go for the big JBL's. but I am hopelessly biased...
 
Last edited:
What i am thinkin, but i know that those JBL were made more for studios and the other two more for the home. Not sure that it matters.
 
Why not audition each? You're talking three radically different sounding speakers here sir. CGs don't tend to fetch the same money as the other two, so you may be able to buy them better if you like them.
 
I've not heard the Altec or Bozaks and don't know anything about them, and I have JBL 4430s which I like so much I'm building another pair. JBL parts are still easily found, which might not be the case for Bozak and Altec.
 
I just got a pair of 4430s also. I have owned A7s and Sentry llls. Impressive in their own ways. They're not 4430s and I didn't keep them. The 4430s will be passed down. keepers. The 4435s are 3dB more efficient, go lower, and will take more power. Get them.
 
What a problem to have! :)

If it were me I'd have to ask, what kind of listener am I? The Bozaks are known to be an easy listen, non-fatiguing and musical. I imagine you'd be able to play a large variety of music through them and it would all sound very nice and enjoyable.

I have no experience with the Altecs so can't say much there.

The JBLs are a well known studio monitor. Lots of music was mixed on these. However, being a studio monitor, they will be very revealing. They are designed to show the flaws in a mix to allow whoever is working on the recording to make better decisions. With that in mind you're going to hear the difference in quality of recordings much more so than the other two speakers you are looking at. Think neutral and uncolored.

All three are well liked, but definitely fit a specific 'listening profile'. Think about what sort of listening you do - do you enjoy the critical, mindful listening, or do you prefer a more relaxed presentation? How concerned are you with recording quality? Are you building a system around them? If not, what gear do you have on hand that will work with which pair?
 
I love my 4435s; as far as I'm concerned, they do everything well, and their bass and midrange are to die for.
 
All three are well liked, but definitely fit a specific 'listening profile'. Think about what sort of listening you do - do you enjoy the critical, mindful listening, or do you prefer a more relaxed presentation? How concerned are you with recording quality? Are you building a system around them? If not, what gear do you have on hand that will work with which pair?

As far as gear goes i have a good assortment of quality high current ss options. I do not have much in the way of tubes but i don't care much for tubes. I am all about horse power. To be honest i am looking for a pair of speakers that will just blow the lid off the place while still maintaining some sound integrity. I have a basic theory from my experimentation that big sound is produced by big speakers and big cabinets so that is why these appeal to me. These will mainly be fed rock and EDM....some jazz maybe on occasion. I have a crown macro reference 1 i want to try with them.
 
4435s are right up your alley. They have amazingly huge clean output. I can't tell you how many speakers I've sold because they couldn't keep it together, or keep up, on the rare occasions when I really crank them.

They're rated at 122 dB in 3,000 cubic (not square) feet of space. That's some serious output; see page 3 here:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf
 
pretty much what i figured but i needed some reinforcement from you all. It would be a big undertaking for me and i may even need to sell some other gear to help with cost. I feel like time is on my side a bit because big heavy/expensive speakers like that do not move so quickly here.
 
pretty much what i figured but i needed some reinforcement from you all. It would be a big undertaking for me and i may even need to sell some other gear to help with cost. I feel like time is on my side a bit because big heavy/expensive speakers like that do not move so quickly here.

I have had factory stacked dahlquist DQ10,s, magnepan 1.2, magnepan 1.6, ads 910's, infinity RS II's and now the jbl4435's and I can tell you that none of them come even close the the accuracy and in your face power that these do. They are not harsh at all - my biggest problem is that I probably listen to them louder than I should but it's just so much fun...
 
Last edited:
Big speakers may be hard to move around there but I have never seen a pair of 4435's for sale locally. I've seen just 1 pair of 4430's as far back as I can ever remember. So how did I get mine you might wonder- 1 orphan came up on cl and my son and I built the other. So wait if you must but understand what you are putting off.
 
Last edited:
As far as gear goes i have a good assortment of quality high current ss options. I do not have much in the way of tubes but i don't care much for tubes. I am all about horse power. To be honest i am looking for a pair of speakers that will just blow the lid off the place while still maintaining some sound integrity. I have a basic theory from my experimentation that big sound is produced by big speakers and big cabinets so that is why these appeal to me. These will mainly be fed rock and EDM....some jazz maybe on occasion. I have a crown macro reference 1 i want to try with them.
JBLs hands down then. Don't sit on the sidelines too long else they may be gone when you're ready.
 
Back
Top Bottom