• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL 4647 for home use?

gonzothegreat

Super Member
Found a single JBL 4647 with the 2226HPL driver. It was marked "no sound" but the driver seems OK. Haven't looked at the xover yet.

I was wondering if it might be possible to team it up with my yet unfabricated Altec 620/604-8g cabs for more bass & power handling. I'd have to move to bi/triamping but that wouldn't be a major issue.

Any other ideas for the woofer? Can't realistically afford another $300 to drop on one so its mono for the time being.
 
Register to hide this ad
What's a 4647? A single 2226 in a reflex box?

I had 4648s, dual 2226s in reflex boxes. Placed against a wall and with 6db of boost at 30hz from a Parts Express plate amp they measured flat down to 25hz. So I'm a'thinkin' it might make a decent little sub. It might not be able to dynamically track a pair of 604s at extreme levels though. But might work very well at moderate to loud levels.
 
There is no crossover. It's just the woofer in the box.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Theatre Series/4647A.pdf

This is going to sound silly, but the exciting thing is the box. It's 5 cuft, and the four ports allow you to easily tune to different frequencies using ZilchPlugz (plumbers' test plugs from the hardware store). It's built like the proverbial you-know-what, and can be easily dressed up with trim on the front edges, a grille in the recess, and a simple base. There's room to integrate any of a number of horns in there, as well, to make a "system."

I have run many varieties of 15" woofers in 4507 cabinets, in combination with scads of different horn/driver combinations on top, the box inverted. Most any extended-bass woofer will play as a sub with two ports closed, ~27 Hz, as I recall. One closed, it's ~34 Hz, JBL 4430 tuning. All open, 40 Hz. 2226H will make tight bass with plenty of punch, but not very deep extension.

So, I'd put finding another of those boxes high among priorities, or build another to match it. My preferred woofer in that cabinet is JBL 2235H, which can play either alone as sub, or as woofer in two-way. There's other options, including a new one from PE, which I'm anxious to try. A bunch of companies have made clones of that driver.... :thmbsp:

BB6P suggests 604-8G will also play near optimal HiFi alignment in that box, one port closed, with useable bass (-10 dB) down to 33 Hz:
 

Attachments

  • 604-8G in 4507.jpg
    604-8G in 4507.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 78
What's a 4647? A single 2226 in a reflex box?

I had 4648s, dual 2226s in reflex boxes. Placed against a wall and with 6db of boost at 30hz from a Parts Express plate amp they measured flat down to 25hz. So I'm a'thinkin' it might make a decent little sub. It might not be able to dynamically track a pair of 604s at extreme levels though. But might work very well at moderate to loud levels.

Single 2226 in a ported box with a builtin xover - yeah.

Flat to 25hz? From what I've read, they only go down to 40hz. The power handling and distortion specs are supposedly amazing though.

Thanks for the info!
 
Flat to 25hz? From what I've read, they only go down to 40hz.

Yes, but with wall placement I was getting good room gain and I was using some EQ too.

Now It's generally considered a no-no to EQ vented boxes that way but the 2226 is SO stout that it can handle it. On the other hand I was using four of them (twin 4648s to augment Altec A5s) so the load was well spread out. But I'm confident a single one would do a pretty good job.
 
Saw the 2226 sub design. Thanks

As for "intended role", its my first foray into DIY Altec so I'm still in the planning stages. I was leaning toward 620 cabs with passive xovers to start with. Right now I'm using solid stage amplification but I have two Class A amps (Yamaha integrated and a DIY Nelson Pass 25wpc) to use.

I initially wondered if I could use the cab for the 604s but I didn't follow up on it. To be honest, the cab nearly ended up in the trash. Glad I was too busy over the weekend! If the cab is indeed 604 friendly, I'll probably xerox it and save the 2226 for another day.

Big thanks to Zilch for running the 604 through bb6p!
 
Yes, but with wall placement I was getting good room gain and I was using some EQ too.

Now It's generally considered a no-no to EQ vented boxes that way but the 2226 is SO stout that it can handle it. On the other hand I was using four of them (twin 4648s to augment Altec A5s) so the load was well spread out. But I'm confident a single one would do a pretty good job.

Damn Tom... Can I dump my wife and come live with you? WOW.. you got some serious listening power there :)

If I was the original poster, I would in a heart beat use that sub for home listening.. then again, some of us like bass more than others....

and speaking of JBL's Tom.. an hour left on that auction, and at the moment, still holding the high bid and an hour left.. :banana: Man I hope the price stays where it's at... getting pricey, but some things are worth more to a person than the actual value... :scratch2:
 
I've been using the 4647 (2225H woofer) in my main system since 1985 with fantastic results. Placed in a corner with solid walls, bass extends to around 32 Hz. More than needed for a music system.
Bass is deep, not sub beep of course, and 'slam' is fantastic. Over all sound is very realistic.
The 4647 is the 2225 or 2226 in the 4507 cabinet. The 4671 is the same but with he addition of the 2425, 2370 and 3110A CO.
Zilch suggests the 2235H in place of the 2225H. You will lose some slam, but gain some extension in that cabinet. A 4 dB loss in mid bass output.
I'm still tempted to try a pair of 2235H.:D

Ron
 
FWIW my cab has a 3110 XO.

Zilch - you mentioned 2235 clones but I Googled around to no avail. Care to share what companies have stuck the 2235 in the replicator?
 
FWIW my cab has a 3110 XO.

Zilch - you mentioned 2235 clones but I Googled around to no avail. Care to share what companies have stuck the 2235 in the replicator?

I'm aware of a P-Audio, a McCauley, a Beyma, and there's probably others, but I have no experience with any of them. Mention was recently made of the PE Dayton Reference Series, not as clone, but as alternate. Looking yesterday, that driver is apparently available in two versions. Perhaps Gordon knows more about the clones.

The best economy route to 2235H is to recone 2225 cores using 2235H kits; the motor and basket are the same. That way you get "As new" 2235H's at a reasonable cost. This, I have done, and it works perfectly. :thmbsp:
 
If you're not afraid of a little "heretic experimentation"... I could probably make what might be "creatively" described as a "2236H" out of the 2226 that you have, Gonzo...

I.e., I'd "create" what would be to a 2235, as a 2226 is to a 2225. Foam edge (2235) cone, with the 2241 voice coil and a softer spider, with a mass ring. Should be able to get parameters very similar to a 2235H, but with higher power handling. Think of it as a vented gap 2235, effectively...

It'd be in NO WAY a "sanctioned" JBL part afterwards, but it COULD probably be made with off-the-shelf reconing parts, at reasonable cost... and it SHOULD be quite interesting in that 4647 cabinet, with appropriately adjusted port tuning (ie, LOW)... :scratch2:

PM me, if you'd like details... :thmbsp:

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I'm too chicken to experiment on a good driver - maybe if it was dead. I'm sure somebody will be tempted by the idea of more bass for their 2226s.

Next week I'll hit the music stores and see if anyone has an empty 4507 cab for sale. No sense spending $$$ & sweat for something I could buy locally.
 
FWIW my cab has a 3110 XO.

Yes, that's how JBL made several different theater/utility systems, in combination with a compression driver and horn mounted on top.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/Low_Frequency_Enclosures1.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4647.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/Theater_Systems1.pdf

BUT, here's what Jblmar made with them:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1235723&postcount=139

4507/4647 is an EXCELLENT large-format DIY platform.

From a utilitarian perspective, reduced to the essentials, a speaker system is a woofer in a box, (plus some other stuff, ;)) and @5 CF, these are mighty good ones for 15" drivers of many sorts.... :yes:
 
After some thought, I've taken Zilch's advice and I'm going to xerox the 4647 cab. This way I have a cab that can take me all sorts of places. The immediate plans are to use them for my Altec 604-8g but I wonder if my LE14s might play well in these guys until I find a second 2226. If I get bored I could throw in my old Cerwin Vega D9 woofers :)

Hopefully the sawdust will fly Tuesday. Can't wait to play around with the big woofers!
 
I wish I was close to Memphis - these look exactly like my single cab. Same internal bracing, port structure and such. It's going to cost more than $25 to xerox mine...
 
Those be the ones, all right.

Get those 4507s and make killer JBLs, folks.

WAF is but veneer and grilles away!! :banana:
 
There was a dozen pair complete with horns in Memphis last year. I no longer have the contact info tho, apparently.... :banghead:

Still have that RC?

[Price may be lower, now, if they're still there.... ]
 
Back
Top Bottom