• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL Driver for "Low End"

The baskets for the 2214H and 128H-1 are not the same. The 2214 is quite a bit deeper. Looks like a mini 2245 basket and driver. The 128H-1 will go lower in the same volume. So if you are going to be in say 2-3 cubic ft go with the 128H-1.

Rob:)
 
You'll have to run the box models and compare, and also verify that the baskets and motors are the same.

I don't think of 2214H as a particularly extended-bass woofer, but maybe.... :dunno:

I'm gonna send an original cone to Gene to see if he can match it up for exactness sake. I might swap the voicecoils. One thing is for sure, the cones are exactly as well as the baskets.

With 125WPC on two of these, I hit 137db at an IASCA contest in 1990.
 
The baskets for the 2214H and 128H-1 are not the same. The 2214 is quite a bit deeper. Looks like a mini 2245 basket and driver. The 128H-1 will go lower in the same volume. So if you are going to be in say 2-3 cubic ft go with the 128H-1.

Rob:)

Thanks Rob. But I misspoke the model numbers. It's a T120 woofer not 120ti.
 
I have a pair of 120ti drivers that can be reconed to be a 2214H. Any opinions of it's use as a subwoofer in a 4-way. I was thinking, 12" JBL, 5 1/4" Vifa (the one that is super flat forget the model) and Yamaha BE mids and tweeters.

That sounds pretty sweet, & along with my current experiments. :thmbsp: I've been running a pair of NS-1000Ms with 12" alnico organ speakers, since one of the stock woofers was blown when I got them. They sound really good with tubes, but I'm going to recone some D130s sometime, they really want a 15". :yes: I have a nice 8" alnico pair (woofers from ESS Tempests) , & was playing the idea in my mind, about going 4-way, with a low-mid & high-mid. :smoke: But I'm no crossover guru, lol, so it hasn't gone far yet, besides having to find appropriate boxes. :scratch2: ;)
 
The T120 frame and magnet is an EXACT MATCH to a 2214H-1. I've had both side-by-side.

Reconing them as 2214H or 2214H-1 should go without a hitch. That's what I'd do. That woofer did a fantastic job in the 4425 monitors. Should work equally as well in an E-wave setup. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150939

If you're going 4-way, I'd be inclined to use something OTHER than the Vifa P13 mid. Just too much of a dynamic difference between that and the 2214H. The Vifa is decidedly "overly polite" and "restrained"... to the point of "throwing away the life in the music", IME.

If you want a better 5" or 6" driver... there's LOADS of them out there. Dayton Reference, Eminence Alpha 6, JBL 115A/H, EV VMR, Audax PR170M0... just to name a few.

However... the E-wave setup would be MUCH easier to tune out, and probably would have even better dynamic response and power/off-axis response than the 4-way... for the same (or less) parts cost, I'd MUCH rather have the waveguides on the top end...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
hmmm.... so many options

I bought the BE tweets and mids to be replacements for when my kids become teenagers. So I have no problem leaving them be....get it!, BE.

ANYWAYS...there are some L65 cabs for $100 close to me. I could either go that route or the wave guide. Preference? I'm not really into West Coast sound. I like my speakers to be accurate and musical. Ala NS-1000, Dynaco A25s, Carver Amazings. Just looking to make one final set that will have a little extra kick in the low bass, ie 20-25HZ department using what I have. That's why I mentioned the AR TSW-910 woofers.
 
2214 in about 3 cubic feet, tuned EBS (probably around 27 Hz port) should do well. Usable bass into the mid-20s...

Even better... 2214 in the same size box with a passive radiator. Think L150-style alignment...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
ANYWAYS...there are some L65 cabs for $100 close to me. I could either go that route or the wave guide. Preference? I'm not really into West Coast sound. I like my speakers to be accurate and musical. Ala NS-1000, Dynaco A25s, Carver Amazings. Just looking to make one final set that will have a little extra kick in the low bass, ie 20-25HZ department using what I have.
You're describing E'Wave to a "T". Jack built with 2214Hs and said they were among the best he's made, as I recall.

I like Gordon's PR idea. Build some Econowave towers based on the L150 model. Use a 15" PR like L220 did, though. Gordon'll tell you why.... :thmbsp:

These, maybe? :dunno:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-194
 
Interesting that you mention a PR. However I really prefer not to go that route. My experience says a PR isn't better than a port....might mean I just don't have enough experience.

The original boxes for the T120 per speaker is 2.5^3ft with a single 3" x 6.3" port. This is tuned port of 30Hz and a -3db of 48HZ. The open air response gets better with bigger and bigger boxes. But the tuned port goes up in frequency.

And what about midbass distortion? Am I still looking at a 3-way?
 
Back
Top Bottom