• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL L-36 decade, any different than the plain L-36??

cartop

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I was wondering if there was a difference on the decade series compared to the plain l-36 speakers. I know they look identical but I just didn't know if JBL changed something in them maybe in the crossover. I ask because the JBL,s I had said decade on the front sticker and another pair i saw only said l-36.
 
Register to hide this ad
I was wondering if there was a difference on the decade series compared to the plain l-36 speakers. I know they look identical but I just didn't know if JBL changed something in them maybe in the crossover. I ask because the JBL,s I had said decade on the front sticker and another pair i saw only said l-36.
Hi
Same speaker with a little bit different tweeters
 
I was wondering if there was a difference on the decade series compared to the plain l-36 speakers. I know they look identical but I just didn't know if JBL changed something in them maybe in the crossover. I ask because the JBL,s I had said decade on the front sticker and another pair i saw only said l-36.

Decade was the line, L16 (or Decade 16), L26, and L36 were the series in that line. There is no such thing as the L36, or Decade 36, its the same speaker.

As for someone saying different tweeters... Not the case. They all used the LE25, now some of the later decade series went to the LE25-2, and LE25-3, and even the LE25-4.

You can read the JBL History book as well, yes its a real book.

https://play.google.com/store/books...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLSB-In--d0CFYR7YgoddOYGdA

There has been all sorts of BS on AudioKarma about the decade series, if you want the facts read it from JBL.

The decade series was never "low buck" JBL, or spare parts as others have said... It was a designed speaker, for HOME USE, and JBL wanted to get into the market of mass produced speakers. They offered a real veneer, and casts baskets.


The low end (low price) JBL was the L40 & L50's series. even the 40's and 50's were built better than most in its class.

I'm a JBL Freak, have owned many JBL, and currently do. I have the L16's set up now, and the L26's chilling behind them.

IMG_5652.JPG

IMG_5886.JPG

I would go for a set of the 26's or 16's if you can.

I like the 36's a lot, but I feel the 26's sound better. Yes I know its only a 2 way. They really do sound better.

Good luck with the project!
 
Thanks jobrewer1983. So Jbl L-36 decade is the same as the speaker that was just called the L-36. I only asked because my Jbl decade l-36's say decade on the front label and the ones I saw today did not say decade, only l-36. I will read the link you posted. Thanks, again. Tom.
 
Thanks jobrewer1983. So Jbl L-36 decade is the same as the speaker that was just called the L-36. I only asked because my Jbl decade l-36's say decade on the front label and the ones I saw today did not say decade, only l-36. I will read the link you posted. Thanks, again. Tom.
Hi again
L36 is model name
difference is tweeter only very slight changes to diffuser
rebuilding kits different but electrical almost the same
this is from JBL hobby forum
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L36 Decade ts.pdf
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L36A Decade ts.pdf
I do not know about magnet structure
I do not think there is any meaningful difference except on number 4 no foam rot to deal with
JBL_LE25.jpg
 
Thanks jobrewer1983. So Jbl L-36 decade is the same as the speaker that was just called the L-36. I only asked because my Jbl decade l-36's say decade on the front label and the ones I saw today did not say decade, only l-36. I will read the link you posted. Thanks, again. Tom.
same as for 100 some say Century some do not
same speaker except for the very first ones with drivers in straight line
the others have name on some and on some do not
non issue
Michael
 
Hi again
L36 is model name
difference is tweeter only very slight changes to diffuser
rebuilding kits different but electrical almost the same
this is from JBL hobby forum
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L36 Decade ts.pdf
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L36A Decade ts.pdf
I do not know about magnet structure
I do not think there is any meaningful difference except on number 4 no foam rot to deal with
JBL_LE25.jpg

They should all use the same mag, the difference is in the face plate. The LE26 is all the same. :)
 
Thanks jobrewer1983. So Jbl L-36 decade is the same as the speaker that was just called the L-36. I only asked because my Jbl decade l-36's say decade on the front label and the ones I saw today did not say decade, only l-36. I will read the link you posted. Thanks, again. Tom.

Yea I've noticed that on the L26's and L16's as well. For example my 16's are listed as Decade 16's on the back. I've seen them with the "L-16" brand as well. All Decade line.

JBL just kept making slight changes in the series by changing the tweeter face. Changed the grill pegs to black from white, set the crossover up to be removed via screws instead of being glued in. The early sets will have the white pegs, and the crossovers will be glued into place.

The also did slight changes to the gaskets on the 125 woofers. For example the early 125's had a cardboard gasket, the later ones went to foam.

IMG_5668.JPG
 
same as for 100 some say Century some do not
same speaker except for the very first ones with drivers in straight line
the others have name on some and on some do not
non issue
Michael


Yep, some earlier then others, but at the end of the day... L-100's.
 
Decade was the line, L16 (or Decade 16), L26, and L36 were the series in that line. There is no such thing as the L36, or Decade 36, its the same speaker.

As for someone saying different tweeters... Not the case. They all used the LE25, now some of the later decade series went to the LE25-2, and LE25-3, and even the LE25-4.

You can read the JBL History book as well, yes its a real book.

https://play.google.com/store/books...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLSB-In--d0CFYR7YgoddOYGdA

There has been all sorts of BS on AudioKarma about the decade series, if you want the facts read it from JBL.

The decade series was never "low buck" JBL, or spare parts as others have said... It was a designed speaker, for HOME USE, and JBL wanted to get into the market of mass produced speakers. They offered a real veneer, and casts baskets.


The low end (low price) JBL was the L40 & L50's series. even the 40's and 50's were built better than most in its class.

I'm a JBL Freak, have owned many JBL, and currently do. I have the L16's set up now, and the L26's chilling behind them.

View attachment 1301116

View attachment 1301117

I would go for a set of the 26's or 16's if you can.

I like the 36's a lot, but I feel the 26's sound better. Yes I know its only a 2 way. They really do sound better.

Good luck with the project!
Jobrewer can I ask your thoughts on L86?
 
Jobrewer can I ask your thoughts on L86?

I’ve only listened to one set of the L-86s, a fellow AKers actually. I liked them at the time, I think they use the 117 drivers, I could be wrong. I am a little bias tho as I’m a fan of the smaller JBL.

8750D1EF-4281-4D7A-A41E-E3D6EED0600C.jpeg

So the cabs on the L-86 were a good size, nice and compact, good for a small space. I thought they were a bit forward, and while they didn’t lack in the bottom end, in a larger room they may lack a little. I don’t have a lot of experience with the 86s, I’ve always loved the looks of the set tho. I think they had a good sound stage when I listened to them, I’d suggest a good crossover rebuild tho, the old paper caps they used are just not that great. The inductors they used as well were not too quality. The drivers and cabinets on the other hand were superior to most at the time.

Do you have a line on a set? Did you get to listen to them yet?
 
I’ve only listened to one set of the L-86s, a fellow AKers actually. I liked them at the time, I think they use the 117 drivers, I could be wrong. I am a little bias tho as I’m a fan of the smaller JBL.

View attachment 1913425

So the cabs on the L-86 were a good size, nice and compact, good for a small space. I thought they were a bit forward, and while they didn’t lack in the bottom end, in a larger room they may lack a little. I don’t have a lot of experience with the 86s, I’ve always loved the looks of the set tho. I think they had a good sound stage when I listened to them, I’d suggest a good crossover rebuild tho, the old paper caps they used are just not that great. The inductors they used as well were not too quality. The drivers and cabinets on the other hand were superior to most at the time.

Do you have a line on a set? Did you get to listen to them yet?
Yes. But one person ahead of me. The seller wants 175.00. I may trade my hk430 and 100 if the other buyer fails to buy them. We will see. Have not heard yet. I do have 4408. I like them. They aren't my best, but I dig em a lot.
 
Yes. But one person ahead of me. The seller wants 175.00. I may trade my hk430 and 100 if the other buyer fails to buy them. We will see. Have not heard yet. I do have 4408. I like them. They aren't my best, but I dig em a lot.

The 4408 are nice, but 175 for some L86 is a killer deal!

Yea I too have better speakers, I have a mint set of L-166A in the closet and a set of Sinus f44 that are amazing, but I just love the small JBL, I’ve got the 16s in the closet too, and a few others lol but I love the 4301b, I’ve got a lot of work I them, the cabinets were restored by @Chris Nguyen and I did the crossover work.

A35AE274-6636-4B95-95BA-33B3B7CFBBB4.jpeg 51A15D86-582D-427E-95A1-D4CAC7DEC541.jpeg F1148C5C-40F4-4638-A3FA-17F02CAEC97F.jpeg

My Sinus ^^ :)
 
The 4408 are nice, but 175 for some L86 is a killer deal!

Yea I too have better speakers, I have a mint set of L-166A in the closet and a set of Sinus f44 that are amazing, but I just love the small JBL, I’ve got the 16s in the closet too, and a few others lol but I love the 4301b, I’ve got a lot of work I them, the cabinets were restored by @Chris Nguyen and I did the crossover work.

View attachment 1913472 View attachment 1913474 View attachment 1913477

My Sinus ^^ :)
Sweet sweet setup.

Do you know how tall the L86 are?
What are those turntables you have?
The blue ones are the 4301b?
I need some sinus action...those are beautiful..my color
 
Back
Top Bottom