• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL L100A prices still going up

Register to hide this ad
Mint-ish, there are faint rings on top of both, close S/Ns, ... mine are perfect, later, and sequential so the bidding makes my little museum even more cool to me.

This is a market where collectors are buying, don't even bother to talk about whether they compare with other $2,000 speakers in accuracy, because nobody who owns them cares.

Just fun to watch what people are paying for gear that we would have left on the curb 40 years ago.
 
Last edited:
Those L100 look great compared to the run off the mill listings described as MINT, but are really 5 out of 10.
 
JBL L100A prices still going up as is Mental Illness

Just fun to watch what people are paying for gear that we would have left on the curb 4 years ago.

The Name Brands, out of control. Think of the quality of sound you could buy for the price of a pair of these and a Pio-Mar-Sui monster receiver. Nice separates, some great speakers Probably a sweet turntable, too. But if the collector has to have...
 
Really no such thing. Term is used incorrectly 99% of the time.
Dave hauled his 2240 over for a treatment and was happy with cabinet saying it was tolerable. Hell 4 work hours later it was near mint, well past tolerable. A bit of dry time involved, too.

Having opened so many boxes of new gear at the store back then, it is easy to tell the units that were just reboxed after some use and being sold as NOS now. They just don't look the same.
 
Maybe some bidders are thinking that it is NIB ???

I think that the seller is looking for that, and the reason he doesn't mention the replacement rings around the tweeters and the reproduction orange foam grilles. Might explain the bidding.
 
Repaired ???

E0es0BbCptqNVWi0ViSK0UBC65cyF4r_JvVHoW5mbC7vVKDe10HD8x50UBTWYsZJH2k5n0gDym7zDaw8wVfSdqvXh0t4WuVoWPax4rTFW-iX9PhdMZniM1BCcg029WW8Zqj6QF6ZHaJqfGtp8vaTiR1i9D3ZtkLOKZB1COV6p4NCx8E-64EukRO3W5ubNEIUGYZpqs8q_aQFZ8Zu-b8jZRkhKjAcqJE2lS018QZNp28DV3NS6FIy2B826ZD0F5ZtugcvVy0Il-YYh5er2smftGoMfEJWTucsJJR_tOi4kXTYV0e4NOTWUMym4V_FDo7PPGvxo3kfOwi1JOzX4iyZzHEJiln2DwFk9PjE-kG7MtCJhIFce4kj0puevyC5p2IbWwXBU7O9leRd3pJP0TTZqMHSkzH3ksXj8-heASPe2ZPM3jz4OUCABwfM90YgK29eZ9mYr3PQjJdAC6YaDBaFPa6IJ6jOLbsGE-7MIBu9YqvfysOKmi9oAufW9iP4Lade7mlEeeec25FqlhpTYOK-xzzqbChWdcM4qGqrBde8xWcy-qMCD6ATkI94CtRQCuyEoCW5gMJaFY19wUjmaQbD9X0vkH2NdHszK_oYC_doRc5vU8c7XZcaTO8LI8F-XtQCLYhYgUkYEngjeVqAXaOfKovwnw=w621-h626-no
 
I think that the seller is looking for that, and the reason he doesn't mention the replacement rings around the tweeters and the reproduction orange foam grilles. Might explain the bidding.

I was thinking the same thing regarding the grills, "Those have got to be repros". Didn't notice the tweeter rings. This auction just shows the incredible value that boxes, brochures, labels, packaging etc. can add to speakers. Anyway, I'm watching this auction with interest, and my wife is saying, "Why don't you sell your L100s too?" I said no.
 
I was thinking the same thing regarding the grills, "Those have got to be repros". Didn't notice the tweeter rings. This auction just shows the incredible value that boxes, brochures, labels, packaging etc. can add to speakers. Anyway, I'm watching this auction with interest, and my wife is saying, "Why don't you sell your L100s too?" I said no.

I'm tempted to put mine in BT and see what happens, ... but my wife likes them. Funny thing, I like crisp highs, she does not, so the LE25 tweeters are her favorites in my system.

These grilles were originally "RUSSET BROWN" (as were mine) as stated on the grille box. The ones in the auction are of course orange, and in like new condition. Mine were in the box until last year, and my speakers are newer than these (these are version 2, mine are final-year and version 3), and my foam didn't survive the years in the bag & box even though they're younger, ... I feel pretty confident that there are no usable original quadrex foam grilles (mine would crumble to the touch). The fading from russet brown to orange over the years would be another hard to explain and peculiar phenomenon.

The tweeter rings? Those are the sparkly ones sold on ebay. At this age they are faded putty-brown and dull, have no resilience left. Again I'm confident that they're new reproductions.

Regardless, if anyone doubts the value of boxes, the display of the speakers in the foam caps with all of the boxes under and around them is definitely the "money shot". It would be hard to tell for sure, but I've watched a lot of these go through ebay and it almost looks like the boxes are doubling the price, maybe through the somewhat deceptive implication that every part is original and even possibly NIB, but at any rate the boxes almost certainly are making this happen.

Glad I at least saved the grille box, wish I had the others.
 
The collecting mindset is just different. Most of us will never be able to afford collecting cars, but the psychology is the same.
 
Not sure I agree, my Son-in-law gave me a "collectible" Hot-Wheels for Christmas. If that counts then my Son-in-law is a high-roller!

The L100As are now around $3,000. This has to be a new high-water mark if the sale goes through.
 
Never thought I would see the day L100s hit the 3k mark.I have a real nice pair I picked up at a thrift about ten years ago for $34.99.They aren't in any permanent spot in a system anymore but every time they are on the fence I find a reason to hold on to them.I pulled them out recently to audition a couple of 50 wpc integrated amps and perhaps put them on the block.Seeing this eBay listing just makes me want to keep them once again.:dunno:
 
Interesting perspective, it does the opposite for me: I see a pair of nice version II going for this much money I start to question whether mine are worth that much to me. What is a better pair worth?

I like them, they're enjoyable to listen to and to look at, a great conversation piece for the few people who see them, recognize and understand their significance, ... but mostly they're for my personal enjoyment and my wife likes how they sound (more than ANY of my other speakers past or present). However, if mine are worth even $2k without some of the boxes, ... are they worth that to me or do I sell them to plow it back into my fun-fund? If I ask her she'd say sell them and spend it on spring break (not my fun-fund!!). At less than $1k they're just speakers, ... at $2k they're maybe better speakers, at over $3k they're a McIntosh 300wpc amplifier or maybe an MC275, ... which I might enjoy more.

Seriously considering whether they're worth keeping at this point.
 
Back
Top Bottom