• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL L80T Project -- Gone Wrong

Do you think these are the "spaghetti veneer" JBLs I've seen mentioned on this forum, where supposedly JBL used a thin layer of "veneer" made from wood pulp with grain dyed or printed onto it?

Those turned out really nice, Zonker. I have those L80t's (upgraded to t3's) and their big brothers L100t3's. I've noticed that the veneer is very, very thin:tears: but appears to be real wood (not printed).
 
Thanks!

Yeah, it looks real to me, but it's very thin and likes to lift and chip. I fixed these up pretty well, and then this morning I was looking at some threads about the L60Ts and I saw something about "spaghetti veneer" and it got me wondering if maybe that's what these have. :dunno:

DSC_3098.jpg
 
Yes, but that's sort of on the back burner. My son likes them without grills so it's not too important right now.

I was thinking I might use generic black grill cloth from Parts Express. I also have some of the replica JBL blue cloth from a Lansing Heritage member. I plan to use it on my L250s (:D) and the Velodyne sub I just veneered, but if there's enough left I might use it on the L80Ts.

I suppose I could even use the brown cloth from the L250s on them, but I'm not nuts about that color.
 
Yes, but that's on the back burner. My son likes them without grills so it's not important.

I was thinking I might use generic black grill cloth from Parts Express. I also have some of the replica JBL blue cloth from Lansing Heritage member. I plan to use it on my L250s (:D) and the Velodyne sub I just veneered, but if there's enough left I might use it on the L80Ts.

Thanks for the info. I've got some L20Ts to do. They also need a little rework on the finish. They have this "glossy" look that is fading in spots. I don't like it, I don't even know if it's original. I like the raw oiled veneer look.
 
Cool. I wound up using Watco Danish Oil on the L80Ts, I think. I first "stained" them with Howard's Restor-A-Finish.
 
Cool. I wound up using Watco Danish Oil on the L80Ts, I think. I first "stained" them with Howard's Restor-A-Finish.

I have both those products. I'm thinking a light sanding by hand with 220 grit or higher (400 or 600?) plus then Walnut Danish Oil (Watco). The bottom side of the speakers look flat, so I'm wondering if someone applied some sort of polyuerthane (or some product) to the other faces. Too bad *shakes head*. Finishing a speaker with oil and some sort of finish wax looks so good in my opinion.
 
That sounds like a good plan, although with this thin veneer, I thought about maybe putting some satin urethane on them (heresy, I know) just to protect it better. :dunno:
 
Ive got a chance at having a stab at the l80t. How would they compare to the L166 i miss so dearly? What sound charactoristics do the l80 t3 have?
 
Ive got a chance at having a stab at the l80t. How would they compare to the L166 i miss so dearly? What sound charactoristics do the l80 t3 have?

Although I haven't compared them directly, the L166 will have a lower and punchier low-mid bass with the 12 inch woofer in a ported cabinet. Many feel though the L80T and T3 is a pretty well balanced system and does a lot of things very well. The L80T/T3 also has a bit better crossover design.

But I suspect they will share some family resemblance in sound overall.
 
Been listening to the L80t3 for a few hours now. Though they dont have the bass of the L166. Like you said they are quite balanced...but not as much bass...perhaps a bit more volume would cure that? Sound is more neutral then what i remember of the L166 as well. But in any case here I have 3 subs on more often then not...4 if im feeling silly. all powered. So bass is not an issue.

Over all i like how they sound. They displaced my M&K subs and Mallorcans from where they sat. but not to worry the subs live on in the back of the room! :D I love me my bass.
 
Been listening to the L80t3 for a few hours now. Though they dont have the bass of the L166. Like you said they are quite balanced...but not as much bass...perhaps a bit more volume would cure that? Sound is more neutral then what i remember of the L166 as well. But in any case here I have 3 subs on more often then not...4 if im feeling silly. all powered. So bass is not an issue.

Over all i like how they sound. They displaced my M&K subs and Mallorcans from where they sat. but not to worry the subs live on in the back of the room! :D I love me my bass.

I think the L80T3's with 1-3 subs would work out quite nicely, especially if you have active crossovers for all. No substitute for cubic inches or woofer size when you're working with bass, its just the way physics works :thmbsp:
 
man, i just noticed your line, certified JBL Nut...i just may be going down that route. and to think id never run across another pair of JBL for sale at a decent price...:D
 
man, i just noticed your line, certified JBL Nut...i just may be going down that route. and to think id never run across another pair of JBL for sale at a decent price...:D

Heh, Resistance if futile! :D

Wherever you are, if you keep your eyes open, the JBL's are out there. Just be ready to strike quickly.

Whereabouts in the world are you?
 
I managed to land some L80t speakers this weekend for not a lot of cash this weekend. They are in rough shape but functional. I love the look of these speakers and feel the need to bring them back to living room shape.

Right now the woofer dust caps are pushed in beyond simply pulling out. One surround is rotten. One of the tweeters is mashed in but does work. Grilles are missing and lastly the veneer is faded. I just love the way they look with out the grille, very modern looking.

Suppose I am at the beginning of the process the op began sometime back. The op proves that a set back need not be the end of the restoration! Can't wait to get mine in the same shape.
 
Ah, nice. Always good to hear about some JBLs coming back from near-death, to start a new life! :D Good luck, and please post before, during and after pictures if you have time!
 
Ah, nice. Always good to hear about some JBLs coming back from near-death, to start a new life! :D Good luck, and please post before, during and after pictures if you have time!

Took some pictures last night and will post later this morning. Already purchased new tweeters due to damage to the ones they came with. One side looks like a kid (or adult moron) stuck something through the grille and pushed the domes in. I never cease to be amazed at the creative ways people devise to destroy speakers. Crafty they are.
 
Haw. I have three broken 035Ti (or TiA) tweeters and you have two. Can't imagine how many more must be out there.
 
Haw. I have three broken 035Ti (or TiA) tweeters and you have two. Can't imagine how many more must be out there.

Mine seem to function but I can't believe they are performing as well as designed with the dome caved in. The speakers actually sound quite good even in their current state.

Anyone have any information on how a caved in some effects performance?
 
Mine seem to function but I can't believe they are performing as well as designed with the dome caved in. The speakers actually sound quite good even in their current state.

Yup; the classic "does not affect sound" claim seen daily on eBay and Craigslist. :D

Anyone have any information on how a caved in dome effects performance?

I have nothing concrete, but the dome shape is there for a reason; I suspect the dispersion pattern is substantially worse and very uneven.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom