• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

JBL speakers are they really that good?

To keep things in perspective L100's retailed for $333 each in 1976.

I personally never owned a pair of them. I couldn't afford a pair back then, new at least.
 
Wow Ken, you walked yourself into a potential flame war with that question. It's a credit to the AK philosophy and the members here that the responses have been tempered and well reasoned.

Well its Friday night, kind of taking it easy tonight, so glad I was able to spark some interest with everyone. I meant no disrespect to JBL or any owners. I just wanted to know what is so good about about the sound that JBL's produce.
 
Ken,

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but there are a lot of people who would disagree with you. The fact that many knowledgeable collectors are willing to pay top dollar for vintage JBL speaks for itself.

Perhaps someday your Infinity's will increase in value but I wouldn't hold my breath. :) You should be happy that you can buy Infinity's for next to nothing, they are good speakers, just not JBL's
 
To keep things in perspective L100's retailed for $333 each in 1976.

I personally never owned a pair of them. I couldn't afford a pair back then, new at least.

In 1976 when Phase Linear introduced their Phase Linear Andomeda's (name changed to PHase Linear III), the price was 1349.00 dollars
 
Ken,

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but there are a lot of people who would disagree with you. The fact that many knowledgeable collectors are willing to pay top dollar for vintage JBL speaks for itself.

Perhaps someday your Infinity's will increase in value but I wouldn't hold my breath. :) You should be happy that you can buy Infinity's for next to nothing, they are good speakers, just not JBL's

I hope they don't get any cheaper I am running out of room!
 
You're right...they come in many flavors. But one should also remember that JBL pretty much defines what some call the West Coast sound. Big sound, punchy, moving bass, forward vocals, and somewhat bright highs (at least in the classic models of that era).


cnh2

You make me want to trade my planar\dipole fetish for the west coast! :thmbsp:
 
In 1976 when Phase Linear introduced their Phase Linear Andomeda's (name changed to PHase Linear III), the price was 1349.00 dollars

Found a pair on Craigslist, look a bit shabby but appear to be complete. Ad states "First 150.00 or OBO"
 
And... :)

It cant go without mentioning the Pioneer HPM100 in this thread. The L100 was so popular Pioneer 'stole' Bart Locanthi and several JBL engineers to design their HPM100
 
Found a pair on Craigslist, look a bit shabby but appear to be complete. Ad states "First 150.00 or OBO"

Already on that pair, hope to pick them up tommrow, all the tweeters are broken, the mid base speakers are aftermaker, missing the speaker control moduale, and the bass commode was missing the drivers he put in some 12 inch drivers of various makes!
 
But it does have the orginal hi-mids, crossovers, grills, and the bass commode can be salvaged to be rebuilt so I can have two bass commodes in my system. I already have posted on this pair and have a few people that are inline that I am going to donate some parts to help other replace some of their part they need.
 
Well, I heard some speakers in a fancy shmancy vintage furniture, etc... store the other day, and they sounded pretty good to my somewhat inexperienced ears. The guy had Thelonius Monk on the turntable and I looked at the speaker price tag and it read: " JBL L110 - $625 / pair. " Mind you this was my first introduction to the JBL L110, and my first time attentively listening to any " decent " vintage speakers, for that matter. I guessed that from the part of town I was in they were overpriced. The store owner's gotta make that monthly lease in Hipsterville... I get it, but they sounded great to me. The list goes on and on, it's like anything - there's always a " better speaker ", but given my room size, what they'd be used for, my tastes, etc... I'd say those JBL's would be fine. Just not for $625. I'll give a listen to a bunch more in different sizes and brands, before making my decision... All suggestions are welcome... My listening room is about 12x18 feet. Thanks

Thelonious Monk would sound awesome on a clock radio.
 
One thing that I think JBL does have, that people really like, an easy to drive load for their vintage receivers. Most of the JBL's were sold to people who like to listen to loud rock music, and most of those rock music lovers didn't really care about refined, articulate accurate music as much as loud volumes, and vibrating bass. I know I have tons of my orginal rock music on records. But listen to those older recordings on good audio and you can realize the lack of quality of recording equipment compared to todays recording equipment. If West Coase sound is loud blaring bass, forward mids, and bright hi's maybe I am more in favor of an East Coast sound, what ever that is.
 
But it does have the orginal hi-mids, crossovers, grills, and the bass commode can be salvaged to be rebuilt so I can have two bass commodes in my system. I already have posted on this pair and have a few people that are inline that I am going to donate some parts to help other replace some of their part they need.

The Andromeda's are interesting looking speakers, I never had the opportunity to audition a pair so can't comment on the sound. Good luck with your project.
 
One thing that I think JBL does have, that people really like, an easy to drive load for their vintage receivers. Most of the JBL's were sold to people who like to listen to loud rock music, and most of those rock music lovers didn't really care about refined, articulate accurate music as much as loud volumes, and vibrating bass. I know I have tons of my orginal rock music on records. But listen to those older recordings on good audio and you can realize the lack of quality of recording equipment compared to todays recording equipment. If West Coase sound is loud blaring bass, forward mids, and bright hi's maybe I am more in favor of an East Coast sound, what ever that is.

I think you've been reading a lot of uninformed opinions and not speaking from experience. Most of what you stated is flat out wrong. :yes:
 
I think you've been reading a lot of uninformed opinions and not speaking from experience. Most of what you stated is flat out wrong. :yes:


You can say that again. I don't even know where to begin to rebut this jasper and frankly I don't have the energy tonight to even try, having had for supper a gyros platter and spinach pie from the Greek joint down the street.

jbls001.jpg
 
Last edited:
As I stated before the few JBL's that have heard, I doubt were JBL's better speakers or/and with very good equipment behind them. I was just restating another posters referrance to the quality's of West coast sound, which didn't hold a lot of merits for accurate music reproduction, but rather, lots of bass, forward mids, and bright hi's. JBL is known for its large market in Pro Audio, lots of horn loaded bass, and multi cell horns. Horns are for projecting sound at loud levels for public venues, usually lots of Bass, projected mids and hi's of which horns are noted for. Notice that JBL's top of the line, best speaker they claim they have ever made, uses horns on the upper range drivers. I don't go for the east coast vs west coast sound. I think some manufactors just are better at accurate reproduction and dedicated to find that in their products. Phase Linear, and Infinity both west coast companies. And both Infinity and JBL are owned by the same company, Harman Kardon!
 
Last edited:
No they are not. Buy something else and leave vintage JBL collecting to those with less discriminating tastes than you. Don't be fooled by their glorious history, numerous patents and widespread use in both studios and concert halls the world over. It's all just hype...they all sound bad - all the hundreds of models produced over the 60 year span.
Especially the " high end " horn based systems treasured by the Japanese audio community. Don't believe a word of it. You know better.

What happened to the "Please don't feed the trolls sign? "

Jblnut

Thanks Jblnut for finally revealing the truth. That was a brave revelation on your part, and it took guts. Just kidding. I've also always wondered about the fascination with JBLs. They're not my cup of tea, but then I've also always wondered how people can like brass bands. I can't stand trumpet music. And a lot of my friends ask me how I can listen to bluegrass music. So there's your answer Ken. Vive la difference, or to put it another way, there's no accounting for taste.
But somebody's right about the Asian market driving up prices. My friend just sold a pair of JBL Paragons to somebody in Korea for $15 grand, and I don't even want to think about how much it cost to ship them. But you might want to rethink your position that most JBL buyers just buy them to listen to rock music and don't care care about detail or finesse. You could be more wrong, but it would be difficult.
 
Back
Top Bottom