• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL Studio 590's are at the lowest price they've ever been...

avguytx

Lunatic Member
So just in case anyone has been on the fence about getting new speakers, especially the studio 590's, this would probably be the time to buy them. I guess I shouldn't put the price in here so your best bet is to google them and see for yourselves. (Benjamin x8 shipped)

It may be time for me to order a set and see how they compare to my ads L1230's and Klipsch CF-3 v1's. Dang....
 
Register to hide this ad
So just in case anyone has been on the fence about getting new speakers, especially the studio 590's, this would probably be the time to buy them. I guess I shouldn't put the price in here so your best bet is to google them and see for yourselves. (Benjamin x8 shipped)

It may be time for me to order a set and see how they compare to my ads L1230's and Klipsch CF-3 v1's. Dang....


jesus, that's cheap!

I bought (and returned) a pair just before covid fxxed the world, but at this price I simply cannot say no.

ordered.

This time I know they aren't going back.
 
Wow. Then I'll absolutely double down on my opinion that these are THE BEST modern speaker bargain I've personally ever seen...IF you have the right room for them (keep walking if you can't get ten or more feet between the listening spot and speakers). Also, these are revealing speakers, so your upstream gear and source will have a significant influence over the final product that reaches your ears. More on that later.

For a bit of perspective, I've been using a pair in my living room (secondary rig) for a few years now. I bought them (used) just to see what the fuss was all about. I had Klipsch Chorus II's in that system at the time and it's no big secret that those are damn fine speakers, but the 590's wasted no time demonstrating to me that they can do most hifi tricks better...namely more robust and authoritative low bass reproduction, better resolution to images/sound stage (which is remarkably good considering I have them only about a foot out from the front wall and the room acoustics are decent at best), more tactile and articulate mid and upper bass reproduction and a more cohesive delivery of sonic information across the entire spectral range. The only thing the Chorus II's do better, and not to any significant degree, is mid range reproduction. And honestly, that could simply be because the low end from the Chorus II's doesn't have the sort of presence I hear from the 590's, creating the perception of stronger mids... because I never feel like there's any sort of deficiency in the mid range from the JBL's. I mean, I once had Klipsch KG5.5's in this system, so I KNOW what it sounds like when there's a limp wristed mid range. Oh, and I did I mention I had Crites crossovers and Ti tweeter diaphragms in the Chorus II's?

I picked up a set of Klipsch Epic CF-4's after the 590's and tried them in this system and yeah, they were better. But come on...two 12" neo woofers in a D'Apollito array with the biggest Tractrix horn Klipsch has ever used in a consumer grade speaker and a compression driver taken directly from their pro line...those are pretty damn special and sound like it. But they're also huge and simply consumed too much real estate where I had to locate them. But going back to the 590's, although a slight downgrade, was an easy adjustment to make because they're that good. So @avguytx, I think you'd have fun taking the 590's for a test drive, but at the end of the day think you'll be trying to figure out what to do with them since they likely won't best your Epics (unless your Epics aren't elevated...in which case the 590's will offer a larger/taller sound stage presentation).

I mentioned that I'd elaborate on the source issue...in this particular system, listening is background over critical by a large margin, and the music of choice tends to be a lot of pre-90's rock and new wave so recording quality is hit and mostly miss (especially the 80's-era stuff). The revealing 590's will illuminate the worst elements of a bad recording, and the biggest issue I've found is a glaring upper mid range and some sibilance with the lesser quality recordings..which makes for a fatiguing listening experience at anything more than low/moderate volume (<85db in a big room). Admittedly, I really struggled with this until just recently. My solution...the Monoprice Monolith THX 788 DAC. Not only is this a fantastic sounding $500 DAC, but it's a remarkable hifi tool with its built in parametric EQ. So I zeroed in on the 3k range, dialed back about 2db with a one octave Q and viola!, bad recordings were made significantly more digestible and the fatigue issue rectified. I also boosted 1.5db at 6k and 9k to return some "snap" to the leading edge of percussive elements. Before the Monolith DAC I'd tried to EQ the 590's with a Schiit Loki, but it just couldn't get "surgical" enough to offer the results I was seeking. So, just having some basic tone controls won't necessarily rectify the issue I was experiencing.

All that said, my personal high water mark was set by my Altec 19's in an acoustically treated and tuned listening space with an exhaustive rotation of upstream electronics to arrive at something spectacular. My goal in the living room system has been to get as close as possible to what I experienced with my 19's...and the 590's get damn close. And this damn close to (properly configured) Altec 19's for well under $1k new, like I opined, makes for the best modern speaker bargain I've ever seen.
 
Last edited:
Something I failed to mention about the 590's that I think is an important characteristic they possess and is worth pointing out...they make BIG sound. What I mean by that is they are squarely in that class of loudspeakers...a class that is occupied exclusively by large speakers...that can present a sound stage that has the sort of scale in all dimensions that really brings things to life in a more convincing fashion with a sort of tactile, lifelike presence that is compelling to experience. And it does this with a sense of effortlessness even when the volume goes beyond moderate listening levels. It's the type of thing I've never experienced from any sort of stand mount or typical floor standing speaker. It's a matter of physics...the nuts and bolts to do this are there or they aren't. It's a big-speaker-with- the-right-ingredients thing and the 590's do it (because they're a big speaker with the right ingredients...the throat of a that big and badass biradial horn being 4' above the floor has A LOT to do with it). It's absolutely not the type of presentation I've found easily obtainable for less than grand and even moreso, for less than a grand new. That said, this doesn't just happen in any scenario...room and electronics make or break the deal. But that's just how it is when you get to this level of performance. The important thing to know is that in the 590's, the potential is very much there.
 
Last edited:
Hey T, my friend is looking for a new receiver to drive the 590s. What is your take on that?
 
Hey T, my friend is looking for a new receiver to drive the 590s. What is your take on that?

Hey D. I've powered mine with a 100wpc class D powered NuPrime IDA-8 integrated, a Phase Linear 700B (with every White Oak mod available) with PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC preamp, and currently a Musical Fidelity M2si integrated at roughly 100wpc @6. I also tried them with a Threshold s/300 with modified Acurus RL-11 pre...but that system was in the dedicated listening space where acoustics are significantly better than my living room system, so probably not a valid inclusion in the comparison . That WOPL 700B benched close to 500wpc @8, but I'm not sure the 590's need all that power. The M2si has a big toroidal x former and generates respectable current (it almost doubles down as impedance is halved), and I honestly can't say that moving from the WOPL to the M2si, at like 1/5 the power (LOL), resulted in any sort of regression. That M2si also has a very nice (class A) preamp section as does the NuPrime. The NuPrime was very nice sounding, too...but moving to the WOPL from the class D power seemed to get more heft and body from them.

I don't have much mileage with receivers...a Sansui 8080 I keep in a bedroom system, a Pioneer Elite that was once in the living room system (moving to the NuPrime from the Elite with Chorus II's was a significant improvement), and I helped my good friend build a HT rig around a TOL Denon AVR and Golden Ear Triton 7's. The Denon AVR (new around '16) was a major disappointment when used for 2-channel listening (zero ability to image). He wound up replacing that unit with a Cambridge Audio AXR85 and that was a significant improvement, as well.

So to answer your question more directly, I doubt any sort of AVR will do the 590's justice, and they seem to respond well to something with high current and perhaps on the warm side of neutral in tonality (class A somewhere in the chain)...although that probably also depends on the acoustic characteristics of the room and they type of recordings one primarily listens to (in my case, large and somewhat reflective room and a lot of lesser quality recordings). As far as vintage receivers go....I just can't say. I spent a few months with my 8080 early in my hifi journey then switched to separates and never looked back.
 
Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I’m powering my 580s with a Pioneer SX 5590 (160 WPC) and they will get LOUD…
 
For what it’s worth, I’m powering my 580s with a Pioneer SX 5590 (160 WPC) and they will get LOUD…

The 590's get damn loud at 100wpc. But the 590's have A LOT more to offer than they're ability to exfoliate your face.
 
I mention this a lot (and just mentioned it in another thread), but the thing about the Studio 5 series that is noteworthy is that Greg Timbers, one of the most prolific loudspeaker designers for JBL (and throughout their glory years), participated in their design and borrowed a lot of DNA from the Synthesis line. The larger models are essentially Synthesis guts in a budget cabinet.
 
I am sure it is a nice speaker last JBL I got was what back in the late 70's not sure LTXX something anyhow good read
 
Thanks everyone. My friend is NOT an audiophile and only listens to jazz and classical music, so he doesn't listen loud. He has the Denon PMA 600 amp which is 70wpc. I'm thinking that should be plenty as the JBLs are 92db efficient.
 
Thanks everyone. My friend is NOT an audiophile and only listens to jazz and classical music, so he doesn't listen loud. He has the Denon PMA 600 amp which is 70wpc. I'm thinking that should be plenty as the JBLs are 92db efficient.

I've read good things about that integrated. He should have a very nice sounding set up.
 
Quite happy (almost said "content"...but I'm never content!) with my 590's being driven by a Denon PMA-1600NE (70W into 8 Ohms).

I must check out that Monolith DAC...although my Denon int. has a good one built in. No eq though.

May need to run my 590's nekkid...if I can get the grilles off without damaging them! Those look good!
 
Back
Top Bottom