• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL Studio 590's are at the lowest price they've ever been...

Thanks, I would think in a 2.1 music system like I have, the 6.5" drivers may be a better transducer for the the mid-range frequencies as a whole prior to crossing over to the compression drivers?
I don't buy into the smaller drivers make for better mid range thing. The Altec 416 in my Altec 19's plays well into the mid range frequencies and that's perhaps the best mid range I've ever heard. And the 8" driver that plays into the mid range on the 590's sounds fantastic to me...full, robust and gutsy with vocals and electric guitar and rich in tone with piano and stringed instruments.
 
Being a member of this group of enablers, I think you should order another pair. They’re a known commodity, they’re priced right, and they’re damn good. How’s that for rationalization?

I concur.
And as my enabler friend would always say when I was floating another expensive idea..."Who deserves a $6,000 camera more than you?" But the sentiments apply here as well.
 
I don't buy into the smaller drivers make for better mid range thing. The Altec 416 in my Altec 19's plays well into the mid range frequencies and that's perhaps the best mid range I've ever heard. And the 8" driver that plays into the mid range on the 590's sounds fantastic to me...full, robust and gutsy with vocals and electric guitar and rich in tone with piano and stringed instruments.

I neglected to mention, I have had 590's but it's been a few years ago. At the time and if memory serves, I liked the other main speakers I had better. I've had many since then and I don't recall exactly what they were. Perhaps Cornwall II's? Anyway, I’m a big fan of large horn based two way speakers in the right room and with quality upstream equipment. Having had JBL 4430’s, Altec Valencia’s, 846a and b, and Flamenco’s, I am well aware of their capabilities. I realize they were all too big for my room but, I had to try! I actually had the 4430's on the short wall and the best place to listen to them was 10' out into the driveway. They did sound awesome!!

I have basically a one car garage as a Man Room, 11' x 22' with 12' ceilings. In my room configuration, the long wall is the only option so distance to the listening position is 8' to 9' at best. The Chorus I's are 10' apart at the tweeters and 9' from the Lazy Boy. They sound very good to me even without the sub and less overpowering likely due to them being front ported as opposed to rear or a passive radiator. I'm curious to know how the 580's would compare in that space.
 
Last edited:
I neglected to mention, I have had 590's but it's been a few years ago. At the time and if memory serves, I liked the other main speakers I had at the time better. I've had many since then and I don't recall exactly what they were. Perhaps Cornwall II's? Anyway, I’m a big fan of large horn based two way speakers in the right room and with quality upstream equipment. Having had JBL 4430’s, Altec Valencia’s, 846a and b, and Flamenco’s, I am well aware of their capabilities. I realize they were all too big for my room but, I had to try! I actually had the 4430's on the short wall and the best place to listen to them was 10' out into the driveway. They did sound awesome!!

I have basically a one car garage as a Man Room, 11' x 22' with 12' ceilings. In my room configuration, the long wall is the only option so distance to the listening position is 8' to 9' at best. The Chorus I's are 10' apart at the tweeters and 9' from the Lazy Boy. They sound very good to me even without the sub and less overpowering likely due to them being front ported as opposed to rear or a passive radiator. I'm curious to know how the 580's would compare in that space.

You've had some pretty serious speaker in the arsenal, then. I'm curious to hear what you think of the 580's. Free return policy, right??? What's stopping you? LOL
 
A bit OT but has anyone done a direct comparison of the 590’s vs the 580’s? Kind of curious if the 580 wouldn’t be a better choice for smaller rooms? I’m sure they are very close with a bit of sacrifice in the low end with the 580. Just curious, thanks.

I'm not sure I really understand why the 580 would do "better" in a small room compared to the 590. I've always felt that it was the top-end that benefited most from being in a larger room, but the 580 and 590 use the same compression driver and the same HF crossover frequency. The horn on the 590 is a bit bigger but that's about the only difference between the two on the top-end.

When it comes to the low-end, it's important to realize that two 8" woofers, as is used in the 590, still amount to less cone surface area than a single 12" woofer. My JBL L150 and L100T speakers can both outclass the 590 when it comes to bass, just with their single 12" woofers. I think that is more because the L150 and L100T are bass monsters, rather than the 590 being bass deficient in any way at all. Still, the 8" woofer size is already flirting with what I would consider to be the bare minimum woofer size for any "large" speaker. If you're going to go with mains that have nothing bigger than 6.5" woofers... well, either keep your expectations low when it comes to bass or make sure to include a sub or 2.

The 590 is also a 2.5-way design, while the 580 is a standard 2-way. In the 590 both 8" woofers handle the low-bass but only the top 8" woofer handles the midbass/lower midrange.
 

Attachments

I'm not sure I really understand why the 580 would do "better" in a small room compared to the 590. I've always felt that it was the top-end that benefited most from being in a larger room, but the 580 and 590 use the same compression driver and the same HF crossover frequency. The horn on the 590 is a bit bigger but that's about the only difference between the two on the top end

IME, any distance between the speaker and listening spot less than 10' compromises image and sound stage resolution. So it appears to me that one needs to get at least that much distance between them for all the drivers to present as a cohesive unit. And with the rear ported design and low bass capability, they really need to be at least a foot from the front wall otherwise bass bloat from boundary loading becomes an issue. And congruently, sitting too close to the rear wall also creates boundary loading and the resultant bass bloat. So add all that up and the length dimension of the room really needs to probably be a minimum of 14'.
 
IME, any distance between the speaker and listening spot less than 10' compromises image and sound stage resolution. So it appears to me that one needs to get at least that much distance between them for all the drivers to present as a cohesive unit. And with the rear ported design and low bass capability, they really need to be at least a foot from the front wall otherwise bass bloat from boundary loading becomes an issue. And congruently, sitting too close to the rear wall also creates boundary loading and the resultant bass bloat. So add all that up and the length dimension of the room really needs to probably be a minimum of 14'.

All of that sounds perfectly reasonable. But wouldn't that all apply to the 580 just as much as it applies to the 590?
 
Being a member of this group of enablers, I think you should order another pair. They’re a known commodity, they’re priced right, and they’re damn good. How’s that for rationalization?
Two of these :) :)
 
The 590s have filled a niche for me.

Mains in the HT system. The wife actually likes the big black towers. Watching TV at night they literally disappear in the blackness. In daylight they are pretty unobtrusive with the grills on.

Only about a foot from the front wall and no port plugs needed. Best bass I've heard in this room (approximately 13' x 28'). They are staying.

They can sound great with music, but I find them a little harsh with just dialogue at higher volumes. Turn it down a bit and they are fine.

Driving them with an ATI1505. 225 watts, Class A/B, into 4 ohms. Onkyo HT receiver as a pre-amp.

I've had Infinity RS-II, Klipsch Chorus II (with upgrades), KEF 104/2, AR-3a, Large Advents, Infinity Kappa 7.1 S2, and some smaller monitors in the system and they all lacked something. The Chorus II and RS-II were just physically too large. The 590s are narrow enough to fit with the TV and sub-woofer all along the front wall.
I liked the look of them from the start and it continues to grow on me. Everybody, and I mean everybody likes the look of them in the room. They are openly spaced either side of a low, long, black cabinet over which is a 65" wall mounted LG OLED TV with floor mounted upward firing lamps behind each speaker for indirect lighting and blackout curtains on all windows. It's good for either music or theater. It was AK member listening opinions that spurred me to buy them, paid $549 each delivered over a year ago.
 
Yes sir...any speaker that comes close to what my 19's have shown me is possible is a speaker worth considering. And the 590s compare very favorably...moreso than their price might indicate.
A second pair??? What would you do with a second pair?
That's the practical answer to the question, another question. Call a contractor, get a bid on doubling the size of the room, then find a place for the other pair. That sounds like a sensible approach. Sleep didn't help at all.
 
A bit OT but has anyone done a direct comparison of the 590’s vs the 580’s? Kind of curious if the 580 wouldn’t be a better choice for smaller rooms? I’m sure they are very close with a bit of sacrifice in the low end with the 580. Just curious, thanks.
if the 580s had been a bit cheaper I'd have gone with them, as the 590s even in my room standing next to a pair of Magnepan 2.5Rs are BIG.

IIRC, the tweeter and horn dimensions is the same in the top three models. (or the tweeter is the same, and the horns are slightly smaller)

If the 530s ever go on super sale, I'll buy a pair of them too. Currently they're only 100$ cheaper then the 590s

(aw ****. jbl discounted the 530s yesterday or the day before. I know they were only 100$ cheaper on wednsday)

Damn. I can't justify blowing another 500$ right now. Sheeit. I should have waited a week!


IME, any distance between the speaker and listening spot less than 10' compromises image and sound stage resolution. So it appears to me that one needs to get at least that much distance between them for all the drivers to present as a cohesive unit. And with the rear ported design and low bass capability, they really need to be at least a foot from the front wall otherwise bass bloat from boundary loading becomes an issue. And congruently, sitting too close to the rear wall also creates boundary loading and the resultant bass bloat. So add all that up and the length dimension of the room really needs to probably be a minimum of 14'.

Agreed, ten (or more) feet away was the most coherent when I had them before. Good thing the room is 20-30 feet long.
 
Last edited:
Being a member of this group of enablers, I think you should order another pair. They’re a known commodity, they’re priced right, and they’re damn good. How’s that for rationalization?
Enablers... true definition of a support group. Thanks, I needed that to feel good about myself over this audio obsession and it came just in time as I was about to return to my senses :)
 
Enablers... true definition of a support group. Thanks, I needed that to feel good about myself over this audio obsession and it came just in time as I was about to return to my senses :)

Hey, I help when I can! I’m that kind of a guy! :-)

Of course when I enable others, I enable myself as well…
 
Hey, I help when I can! I’m that kind of a guy! :)

Of course when I enable others, I enable myself as well…
Thanks Max. Genuinely, you've added sunshine to my morning. Laughing at oneself is good for the soul. Take care my friend and have a wonderful day.
 
Thanks Max. Genuinely, you've added sunshine to my morning. Laughing at oneself is good for the soul. Take care my friend and have a wonderful day.

Thanks for the kind words. All joking aside, I think we all deserve to indulge our stereo obsession. Every time my wife gives me grief about it, I remind her that I am not out pissing money away in bars, etc. this keeps us home listening to music - haha! Most of us work hard for our money, and don’t need to justify buying something for ourselves. Enjoy!
 
Thanks for the kind words. All joking aside, I think we all deserve to indulge our stereo obsession. Every time my wife gives me grief about it, I remind her that I am not out pissing money away in bars, etc. this keeps us home listening to music - haha! Most of us work hard for our money, and don’t need to justify buying something for ourselves. Enjoy!

I don't chase women, I don't go to bars, I sold all my cars, I rarely drink, I don't gamble, I refuse to pay what they want for a concert these days.

Haven't bought a guitar in a decade. Sold the ones I'm not using, sold all my amps over 5 watts, sold all my speaker cabs except a single 12".

Haven't bought a firearm in at least 5 years. Sold off most of the ones I'll never use.

Sold off most of my stereo gear not in daily use. I do have a couple pairs of speakers and turntables left, and a nice pre-amp I won't part with.

I do have a fishing boat and I just bought a fly-rod outfit. Just what I needed, another hobby! Fly fishing. At least it's a hobby commensurate with my age.

So spending $900 on a pair of speakers that actually serve a purpose isn't so bad. One shotgun sale covered that.
 
I don't chase women, I don't go to bars, I sold all my cars, I rarely drink, I don't gamble, I refuse to pay what they want for a concert these days.

Haven't bought a guitar in a decade. Sold the ones I'm not using, sold all my amps over 5 watts, sold all my speaker cabs except a single 12".

Haven't bought a firearm in at least 5 years. Sold off most of the ones I'll never use.

Sold off most of my stereo gear not in daily use. I do have a couple pairs of speakers and turntables left, and a nice pre-amp I won't part with.

I do have a fishing boat and I just bought a fly-rod outfit. Just what I needed, another hobby! Fly fishing. At least it's a hobby commensurate with my age.

So spending $900 on a pair of speakers that actually serve a purpose isn't so bad. One shotgun sale covered that.

Very well said Ross and you got me thinking! I am very happily married and, I'm afraid of her. I did buy a Springfield 1911 not long ago. I sold my drums, big Bassman cabinet, still have my buddy's Tele, RIP Tommy, but sold the rest, and I still have my 67 Bassman head even though I don't have a cab for it. Got rid of most of my extra audio gear save for the Chorus I's. I too think I can justify the $650 I dropped on the 580's.
 
Back
Top Bottom