• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL Vintage L220 Oracle Speakers

hwirt

Super Member
JBL Vintage L220 Oracle Speakers

Current Bid: US $960.00

Ends: Mar 05, 201218:47:03 PST


jbll220-A.jpg


Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-Vintage...ubwoofers&hash=item1c24323e71#ht_12154wt_1139

No affiliation.
 
Register to hide this ad
A local guy had some for sale, no bites so he parted them out.. Just the cab's left now
 
Nice pictures, a good description, and a willingness to ship internationally. I predict these will go for big money.
 
meh... mine were in better shape, probably shoulda kept them. Sold for $1,700 and shipped 'em to Australia a couple of years ago.

John
 
$1700 was a good sale (from a sellers perspective) price a couple years ago, your set must have been in excellent condition. I would rate these about 7 of 10; there is some damaged to the veneer on the kick plates, slight damage to the bottom and rear sides (chips etc.) . Also the grill and speaker connections are not original. In general the prices on all these old JBL's has been going up but I doubt this pair will sell for more than $1500, but who knows. BTW the bid is now up to $1000.
 
those will go for crazy $$$ if they are in all working cond. IMHO the very best of JBLs home offerings.
 
IMHO the very best of JBLs home offerings.
Maybe in theory or on-paper. The reality is they are highly valued mainly for the tweeter and (for some) the mid-range lens. The total of the parts seems to leave many unimpressed compared to "lesser" speakers like the L7 or L150A, and quite a cut below the XPL200 and especially any of the 250 variants like L250 or 250ti. :dunno:
 
Maybe in theory or on-paper. The reality is they are highly valued mainly for the tweeter and (for some) the mid-range lens. The total of the parts seems to leave many unimpressed compared to "lesser" speakers like the L7 or L150A, and quite a cut below the XPL200 and especially any of the 250 variants like L250 or 250ti. :dunno:

I agree with your observations. I had a pair of L220's and L222 Discos in the past. Lots of top end, lots of low end but, poor mid-range IMHO. The L150a and 250ti's have a much more balance sound in my experience. Can't comment on the L7's. My current main speakers, JBL 4430's, are in another league and can be had for less $$$. Just my $.02.
 
I've heard a pair of those. A gentleman in Missoula has a pair. Lets just say they are not my favorite JBL but then again neither is the Jubal. Oracles are pretty much just bigger Jubals with the sound you would expect from an LE-14a bass speaker. Decent for certain, but not for the money it goes for. Save your monies, get some drivers and build bigger cabs. My 2 cents
 
Having listened to the L100, L166, L65, L200, L212, L300, L150, L250, L250Ti, Array 1400 and several of the K2 series; I would rate them well above the L65, L100, L150, L 166, L200, L212 but lower than the L250’s and L300’s. Then a big gap from all the previous models to the Array 1400 or any of the K2 models.
 
Last edited:
Can't speak to that whole list, but I kept my L150A's and sold the L220's. I miss their physical presence and some of their other characteristics, but on balance the 150A's are more listenable IMO.

John
 
I can't say I know much about which JBL's are good ones or not, but I am sure when the time comes that a pair I like comes along I won't have a shortage of advice on which ones that would be good. But for the most part I think I know which ones I would pick, and it wouldn't be the ones for sale on this thread. I think I would tend to probably invest a bit more and get some of the larger ones with the blue faces. I found this site which is in Japan and they always have a lot of great ones for sale. I know they won't be any bargins to be had but then again if I was going to spend the money I would rather spend the money on a pair that I really like. By the way I have seen some pretty decent prices on some nice Asian items that were never imported here, and I think they ship internationally, so if one was to save a bit of money they could get some pretty unique items from this shop.


I have never seen this model but it looks pretty nice.

http://www.hifido.co.jp/KW/G/P0/A10/E/10-10/S0/C12-65148-39917-00/

But these are more like the ones I would probably invest my money on. I don't think you could go wrong, I have spent money on fishing boats and other toys which you always loose plenty of money when you sell them so its just a matter of thinking enjoy what you spend you money on and look at it like going on an expensive vacation when you done the money is gone and all you have to show for it is some good memories.

http://www.hifido.co.jp/KW/G/P0/A10/E/0-10/S5/C11-61889-20426-00/
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom