• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Jelco arms- where it improves on the Technics SL-1200

I'm comparing my SL-1200M3D w/ Jelco SA-750D to my new SL-1210M5G with stock arm. They both sound great!

How close are the arms in effective mass?

I'm not really sure.

I think the stock arm is competitive with a few mods to even things out.

Congrats on two fine arms!
 
I'm not really sure.

I think the stock arm is competitive with a few mods to even things out.

Congrats on two fine arms!

The Jelco arm swap I did was not planned from the beginning. I don't think the cost of paying for a new arm, arm cable and mounting plate are worth the benefit, but I already had the Jelco from another project so it wasn't that much farther to go.

Found this: Jelco mass 20g and Technics mass 12g.
 
Thedelihaus, Which Jelco arm were you using in your testing, the 750 or 250 arm? I have an armless JVC QL-50 that I want to put a good but affordable arm on, preferable S shaped, so I can use my existing headshells. I am considering Jelco.

maybe I will start a new thread on this. Not intending to Hijack this one.
 
From; http://www.soundhifi.com/jelco.html

Jelco have made arms for most manufacturers in the past. Their Japanese engineering is second to none (think Lexus). They made the famous Sumiko MMT and we believe the Linn Ittock II as well. These are some of the companies that marketed Jelco arms under their own names: Koetsu, Sumiko, Audio quest, Linn, Oracle, Ariston, Roksan, Revolver, Mission and Graham. Jelco make their own jewelled bearings, they are in complete control of quality.

Jelco make seriously good arms, you don't need to rewire them, or change anything. They are perfect out of the box. They mount using the standard Linn three hole fixing and you get fixing templates and everything you need. We are quite confident using them on £5K turntables.
 
From; http://www.soundhifi.com/jelco.html

Jelco have made arms for most manufacturers in the past. Their Japanese engineering is second to none (think Lexus). They made the famous Sumiko MMT and we believe the Linn Ittock II as well. These are some of the companies that marketed Jelco arms under their own names: Koetsu, Sumiko, Audio quest, Linn, Oracle, Ariston, Roksan, Revolver, Mission and Graham. Jelco make their own jewelled bearings, they are in complete control of quality.

Jelco make seriously good arms, you don't need to rewire them, or change anything. They are perfect out of the box. They mount using the standard Linn three hole fixing and you get fixing templates and everything you need. We are quite confident using them on £5K turntables.

ummmmm, yeah - from SoundHiFi, who sells the stock Jelco arms and has devoted massive resources to convince you to buy his mounting plates, etc. specifically made for the stock arms!

Seriously though - when I mounted the Jelco SA-750D on my SL-1200MK2, I purchased the mounting plate from Dave at SoundHiFi and the plate was a seriously made piece of kit. Finely finished and superbly made. It should have been for the price, however!

Here's a pic:

P1010990.JPG


I should note that there were some serious peculiarities with the mounting distance of the Jelco that led me to seriously doubt the Jelco spec'd effective length of 229mm... something that has been seriously debated over at the Audio Asylum.
 
Last edited:
ummmmm, yeah - from SoundHiFi, who sells the stock Jelco arms and has devoted massive resources to convince you to buy his mounting plates, etc. specifically made for the stock arms!

Seriously though - when I mounted the Jelco SA-750D on my SL-1200MK2, I purchased the mounting plate from Dave at SoundHiFi and the plate was a seriously made piece of kit. Finely finished and superbly made. It should have been for the price, however!

Here's a pic:

P1010990.JPG

That ain't bad looking......for a 1200:P

Just kiddin that is a nice looking table, I really think the 1200 arms are ugly, but that Jelco looks good on it:yes:
 
That ain't bad looking......for a 1200:P

Just kiddin that is a nice looking table, I really think the 1200 arms are ugly, but that Jelco looks good on it:yes:

The irony of it all is that I ended up mounting the stock arm back in the table! :D

For **ME** in **MY SYSTEM** (accentuated to avoid the misunderstanding that I'm speaking in generalities - YMMV, and very may will!) the Applied Fidelity rewired stock arm with the KAB fluid damper far outperformed the Jelco with a majority of carts - the exception for me being the DL-103R.

I also mounted a Rega / Incognito RB-251 on the SL-1200 using the SoundSupports armboard and didn't care for it a bit. I loved my Rega P3 and P5, but, again, in my opinion - the Rega arms are not a good match with the 1200.

One thing to note about the way Jelco implements fluid damping - it is equally applied in all planes; I find that much less effective than KAB's implementation which applies, for all intents and purposes, only in the vertical plane.
 
Last edited:
I realize that this is an old thread. Did you use any type of damper (foam or other) inside the stock tonearm? And did it give better results? If so,
1. What type of damping material did you use?
2. Did you tunnel it to for the wiring to slip inside it?
2a. How did you tunnel it (very important for someone like me with limited resources to tools)
3. Where can I get it?

I plan to rewire my tonearm with better wiring. Technics should have used better tonearm wiring for the castle they built !!!!
 
When I rewired my 1200 tone arm,I tucked some cotton in at the headshell end and tucked some cotton in at the counter weight end.I am also using the KAB end cap. How do I know if I dampened the arm enough?
 
When I rewired my 1200 tone arm,I tucked some cotton in at the headshell end and tucked some cotton in at the counter weight end.I am also using the KAB end cap. How do I know if I dampened the arm enough?

See if you hear any pinging when you flick your finger on the arm where there is no damping. Do this with the headshell and the counter weight off.

If you hear a dead thump instead of a ringing sound, you have successfully dampened your arm.

Next up is the platter.
 
Back
Top Bottom