• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JICO SAS vs. EVG for Shure V-15 III: my review

Been playing my new EVG quite a bit this weekend. I can tell its breaking in, the soundstage seems to have improved in the last few hours.

The nice thing is I'm listening to some records I have not played in awhile since they are a bit scratchy.
 
Can anyone hazard a guess why the EVG stylus for the Shure V15 iv is three times the price of the iii? At this price difference I might as well buy a iii for $50-75 and then stock up on some of the $15 EVG styli.
 
Can anyone hazard a guess why the EVG stylus for the Shure V15 iv is three times the price of the iii? At this price difference I might as well buy a iii for $50-75 and then stock up on some of the $15 EVG styli.

Well, the brush adds to the cost of production.

Isn't the EVG V15-IV sporting a HE diamond vs. the .3 x .7mil diamond on the III?
 
You're right, Beatcomber! It's Hyperelliptical 0.2 x 1.5mil. Thanks. But still. Is the mkiii better than the iv? I always thought it was the other way around.
 
You're right, Beatcomber! It's Hyperelliptical 0.2 x 1.5mil. Thanks. But still. Is the mkiii better than the iv? I always thought it was the other way around.

I think there is no consensus on which is better.

Yup. That discussion has been going on forever.

Just for giggles has anyone compared the EVG to another generic stylus like the Phanstiel ?
 
I started looking on Ebay for replacement styli for an old M95ed. I'm just trying to get this straight.

The consensus seems to be that Phanstiel is crappy. EVG is good, and probably made by Jico.

Some are referred to on Ebay as "made in Switzerland". Does that equal Phanstiel?

What about the ones that are said to be made by Nagaoka?

Are LP Gear's "made in Japan" styli Jicos?

Thanks, if you can help clear this up for me.

That is exactly what I would like to know too...

Is there anybody out there?
 
The stylus said to be made by Nagoka is usually branded Tonar. They are usually quite good.
Do notice "said" , this is a debatable point.
 
Thank you for your welcome!

I'll try to describe my situation and needs more in detail, even though I'm not sure wether I should have started a new thread about it...
I recently bought a Thorens TD150 in good shape, as my come back to vinyl world. My knowledge base is a little weak for the time being, but I try, but I try...
So yeah, the TD150! It came with M44MB cartridge, with a stylus in unknown shape. First I thought that I should change both, the cartridge and the stylus, but after I did some reading, I understood that some folks are quite happy with the M44, so (to keep up with the philosophy "less is more"), I decided for the first time to change only the stylus. I was about to end with one improved NOS N44-7, but arrived too late, somebody bought all of them. In the final phase I reduced my choice on N55, as my LP's are in not so bade shape. I am quite sure that I can go for an EVG, based on what I've read on this thread, but I told myself, since the last posts here date from 2014, let's cheque if there are some new experiences to share, read and learn from.

I'll post some links to things from todays offer. I'm looking for some options in the EVG price range (more or less):

As revox-b77 suggested, here is one Tonar:
https://www.pickupnaalden.com/english/turntable_needles_detail.asp?M=Shure_N-55-E__6626_666

Here are two from the same seller from Germany. The first one is Swiss (GSM brand), the second is from Japan (Thakker Japan):
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/N-55-E-Nade...h=item5b4e5d2096:g:wC0AAOSw6Y5b0bx4:rk:1:pf:0
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/N-55-E-Nade...h=item51fbffca7b:g:pf8AAOSwkXdauiRe:rk:3:pf:0

Here they claim they sell the "real one" - the one to buy. They do have good reviews on their page. Link:
https://www.turntableneedles.com/N5...55e-Cartridge--our-needle-759-DEM_p_4039.html

Finally, the cheapest EVG I found (even though on eBay page they say Electro-Voice brend):
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Shure-N55E-generic-stylus-for-Shure-M55E-cartridge/231879171255

I can study all of those proposition and some more I guess, but without your help I'm just loosing my time. If anyone has some additional informations, I'll be happy to hear them !
 
Here they claim they sell the "real one" - the one to buy. They do have good reviews on their page. Link:
https://www.turntableneedles.com/N5...55e-Cartridge--our-needle-759-DEM_p_4039.html



I can study all of those proposition and some more I guess, but without your help I'm just loosing my time. If anyone has some additional informations, I'll be happy to hear them !

this one, according to the photos has a soldered in tie wire, suggesting to me, that this is a JICO stylus, reboxed. which would be my personal 1st choice.
 
Can confirm that the Tonar version is Jico sourced and an excellent choice. (on eBay I sell it too)
Nagaoka also does make some items and Tonar brands them (to the other post above).

Personally I think the japanese aftermarkets are more consistent with quality, whereas the Swiss can be hit or miss

The TD150 is fun! Great score
 
Thank you all for help! I would never guess that I found so many Jico's. Have to choose the seller now...

What I don't understand is what's the story about rebranding Jico / make it cost less? Who buys Jico then? And why?
 
Last edited:
Thank you all for help! I would never guess that I found so many Jico's. Have to choose the seller now...

What I don't understand is what's the story about rebranding Jico / make it cost less?

Who buys Jico then? And why?

Company that orders a large lot gets lower per unit price.

Resales company like Tonar supply many brands to many stores through out the world and JICO is only one very small supplier. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom