• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Jimmy Page demands fair pay for musicians from streaming companies

Is it a charity auction? Self-serving takes many forms.
But please don't think I'm dissing your friend. There's always exceptions.
 
I applaud his efforts, not because I think Jimmy Page is underpaid, but because I hope he's using his fame to advocate for less well-known artists who are struggling. I have many friends and colleagues who have released albums and gotten airplay and picked up by major streaming sites, but who could never hope to make a living from sales. And the universality of streaming has made the possibility of the old-style record company contract of our youth a dinosaur. The music business has been really messed up for 40 years now (before that it was messed up in a different way). The path to success has very little to do with making the best music, which is a shame - both for the artists, and for those of us who appreciate their work. At least if streaming sites had to pay a reasonable rate, they would be forced to be more selective and separate the wheat from the chaff. At least in my fantasy world.
It's all about performing... doing concerts... that's where the success is, especially since streaming and ease of copying but still... it's about performing, filling those seats with people who bought a ticket and buy things at the concession.
 
Well maybe he gives a few hundred grand to charity at Xmas. He can afford it and he very probaby might if he's as good a person as you say. I'm rooting for him.
 
Well maybe he gives a few hundred grand to charity at Xmas. He can afford it and he very probaby might if he's as good a person as you say. I'm rooting for him.
At present, his wife is dying of cancer, and he is spending a shitload of money out of pocket. I don't ask about his charitable contributions.

IMO, well, it's not an opinion, it's fact, many (though not all) charities are scams to some degree. Sure, they do some good here and there, but most of the money they receive money goes to administration. They largely exist to serve themselves.
Nevermind about charitable foundations started by various former and/or aspiring politicians and the ultra wealthy. Those are nothing more than tax shelters and money laundering operations.
 
Well maybe he gives a few hundred grand to charity at Xmas. He can afford it and he very probaby might if he's as good a person as you say. I'm rooting for him.
Ya... unless you know better it's always good to hope for the best. I really don't know anything about Jimmy Page other than a few of his songs, wasn't my type of music and to me it had a strange and dark seductive spirit in it, used to play a few of his cuts back in the day... at high volume of course.
 
At present, his wife is dying of cancer, and he is spending a shitload of money out of pocket. I don't ask about his charitable contributions.

IMO, well, it's not an opinion, it's fact, many (though not all) charities are scams to some degree. Sure, they do some good here and there, but most of the money they receive money goes to administration. They largely exist to serve themselves.
Nevermind about charitable foundations started by various former and/or aspiring politicians and the ultra wealthy. Those are nothing more than tax shelters and money laundering operations.
Sorry to hear about his wife, that's terrible.
I agree with you regarding charities. One has to be very diligent in choosing charities to give to. We give 10% of our gross each year to charity, but the overheads of said charities must be in the 25 to 30% range. I wouldn't give a nickel to The United Way. I used to sell them office furniture, and the CEO was a complete a**hole. (When receiving his $15,000 desk).

My 97 yo Aunt, whom I look after, always gave 25% to charity, but she lived a very frugal life in order to achieve this. She's a very kind lady, and always has been. But she didn't have any Naim audio gear ... Lol.
 
Last edited:
I'm touched by them every day, and many times, in what I would think of as inappropriate ways.

Maybe I should sue ... touch them back where it hurts ... ;-}
Yeah, i read that after I wrote it and I knew someone would reply like that- LOL.
 
What do you consider rich? ...

I'll bite...

If one makes 2x the median income I'd say most would opine that person is doing pretty well.

If one makes 4x the median income I'd say most people would consider that person rich. Today, I think 4x median puts one not far from $300k.

If you're Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates, et al., you'd probably snort milk out of your nose upon reading that.

Once one broaches the top 1% I'd opine one is firmly in the "rich" category in the eyes of the majority and from there it's just varying degrees; rich, filthy rich, ridiculously rich, or absurdly rich. LOL.
 
Certainly one could talk about being "rich" in a philosophical sense, but I took the question to be more about the money since there was direct implication in that regard.

What do you consider rich? I have a friend who will drop $20K at an auction like it's nothing ...
 
I've always had to work hard and bust my ass for my money. They say money can't buy happiness but I'd sure like to give it a shot some day before my time is up. ;)
 
i sometimes wonder if this isnt the reason for no more real music, seems like we have to live in the past in order to listen to the real stuff
 
I've always had to work hard and bust my ass for my money. They say money can't buy happiness but I'd sure like to give it a shot some day before my time is up. ;)
i:d just waste it on more stereo equipment and old cars and bikes, but a monthly allotment to help disabled veterans would be nice
 
Back
Top Bottom