• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Joe Bonamassa's 10 Underrated Guitarists

Man, how I love that album. He left us way too soon.

Sam Maghetti died very young. IIRC, I heard the news when I was ~10 (1969). He was around 28-30 yo @ that year? No longer recall the cause of his death -- accident, OD, etc. -- but it came early @ life. Sam's and mine.
 
Elvin Bishop and Paul Butterfield also solo on that tune. I have to agree it's one of the hottest jams ever.

I had the (extreme) privilege of growing up under the soundz of Bishop, Butterfield, and Bloomfield. Played for free a lot @ the Midway Plaisance (sp?) @ UChicago in the mid and late '60s.

Q: which of 'em is left? Elvin? I know Paul & Michael are long gone.
 
A: Yup, it's Elvin. He's 73 now.

Bloomfield died before I got to see him. He was the "great white hope" as far as blues guitarists were concerned. I saw Butterfield a few weeks before he died. Elvin Bishop opened IIRC, it was a little bar in DC. Some of Bloomfield's most explosive recordings are obscure Barry Goldberg live records.
If you like the East-West jam check out this record http://www.discogs.com/Barry-Goldbe...ld-Barry-Goldberg-And-Friends/release/3070183

Thanks for the info ... and (renewed) memories.

Hyde Park, Chicago, Illinois was a magic place @ the late '60s. You (even as a minor) could go to Jimmy's 55th Street Tap (or s.t. to that effect) and (1) listen & see what would become the Paul Butterfield Blues Band and (2) watch "improv" with the folks who would eventually form Second City.
 
** DELETED -- no longer makes sense. **

Yeah ... ** DELETED -- no longer makes sense. ** is one of my favorites too ... <G>

Kenny Wayne Shepherd ain't no slouch ... AXS plays a Guitar Center Session every now and then that's well worth taking in ...
 
Sam Maghetti died very young. IIRC, I heard the news when I was ~10 (1969). He was around 28-30 yo @ that year? No longer recall the cause of his death -- accident, OD, etc. -- but it came early @ life. Sam's and mine.

I had the (extreme) privilege of growing up under the soundz of Bishop, Butterfield, and Bloomfield. Played for free a lot @ the Midway Plaisance (sp?) @ UChicago in the mid and late '60s.

Q: which of 'em is left? Elvin? I know Paul & Michael are long gone.

Thanks for the info ... and (renewed) memories.

Hyde Park, Chicago, Illinois was a magic place @ the late '60s. You (even as a minor) could go to Jimmy's 55th Street Tap (or s.t. to that effect) and (1) listen & see what would become the Paul Butterfield Blues Band and (2) watch "improv" with the folks who would eventually form Second City.

I think it was a heart attack with Magic Sam.
He died before I was even around(born in the 70s). I've seen Buddy Guy a few times, I can only imagine what seeing Sam would have been like.

The blues festival here had a review set a few years ago called The Chicago Blues Reunion. A bunch of cats like Goldberg, Gravenitis(sp), Harvey Mandel(I think he was there), Corky Seigel, etc.
I've seen Elvin, too. He played the festival here the opening year. Was the closer on Saturday night. Damn was that a party, in more ways than one.

You talking about late 60s Chicago reminds me of my dad and the very late 60s/early 70s in Toronto. There was a blues bar near his place that often had the likes of Muddy, John Lee Hooker, The Wolf, etc on stage. For FREE. All you had to do was make sure you had a drink on the table.
 
I think it was a heart attack with Magic Sam.
He died before I was even around(born in the 70s). I've seen Buddy Guy a few times, I can only imagine what seeing Sam would have been like.

The blues festival here had a review set a few years ago called The Chicago Blues Reunion. A bunch of cats like Goldberg, Gravenitis(sp), Harvey Mandel(I think he was there), Corky Seigel, etc.
I've seen Elvin, too. He played the festival here the opening year. Was the closer on Saturday night. Damn was that a party, in more ways than one.

You talking about late 60s Chicago reminds me of my dad and the very late 60s/early 70s in Toronto. There was a blues bar near his place that often had the likes of Muddy, John Lee Hooker, The Wolf, etc on stage. For FREE. All you had to do was make sure you had a drink on the table.

I think it was a heart attack with Magic Sam.
He died before I was even around(born in the 70s). I've seen Buddy Guy a few times, I can only imagine what seeing Sam would have been like.

The blues festival here had a review set a few years ago called The Chicago Blues Reunion. A bunch of cats like Goldberg, Gravenitis(sp), Harvey Mandel(I think he was there), Corky Seigel, etc.
I've seen Elvin, too. He played the festival here the opening year. Was the closer on Saturday night. Damn was that a party, in more ways than one.

You talking about late 60s Chicago reminds me of my dad and the very late 60s/early 70s in Toronto. There was a blues bar near his place that often had the likes of Muddy, John Lee Hooker, The Wolf, etc on stage. For FREE. All you had to do was make sure you had a drink on the table.

Sam died of heart attack @ ~31 years old? That I do not recall. At all. Sheesh.

re: "For FREE. All you had to do was make sure you had a drink on the table."

Sounds like the South Side @ Chicago.
 
^^^
PS: I can't quite "see" what Gordie is doin' @ yer avatar, but it don' look like finfo' the other bloke @ the photo.
 
Harvey Mandel and Allen "Blind Owl" Wilson boogied with the Canned Heat.

I love that Canned Heat Woodstock stuff.

I saw the Heat in the mid 90s. A really good show, but I can't remember who was in the band. I know Fito sang the Owl songs, and I'm pretty sure Robert Lucas sang the Bear songs. Vestine was there, but he was a mess. Sat out a lot of the songs at the side of the stage, with his head hanging down.
Not sure if Mandel or Larry Taylor were there. I don't think so.
I did get the chance to see Taylor with the Hollywood Blue Flames(aka The Hollywood Fats Band sans Fats). By far one of the best shows I've ever witnessed. They also had Rick Holmstrom on guitar, and he just killed it. He's way up on my list of underrated players. "West coast" blues guitar at it's finest, IMO.
 
^^^
PS: I can't quite "see" what Gordie is doin' @ yer avatar, but it don' look like finfo' the other bloke @ the photo.

It's quite obvious. He's doing his best to keep the Gordie Howe elbow out of the way of that kid that is probably young enough to be his grandson.:rflmao:
 
Bloomfield died before I got to see him. He was the "great white hope" as far as blues guitarists were concerned. I saw Butterfield a few weeks before he died. Elvin Bishop opened IIRC, it was a little bar in DC. Some of Bloomfield's most explosive recordings are obscure Barry Goldberg live records.
If you like the East-West jam check out this record http://www.discogs.com/Barry-Goldbe...ld-Barry-Goldberg-And-Friends/release/3070183

Thanks very much. I'll check it out.
 
Back
Top Bottom