• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Joe Bonamassa's 10 Underrated Guitarists

Here ya go:


Sam ripping it up on Earl Hooker's guitar. Speaking of under rated, Earl is up there, too.

And yeah, don't get me started on Sumlin. He's probably influenced about a million players who haven't even heard of him.
So glad I checked him off my concert bucket list a few years ago.

Oh, and another thing. The DVD where this clip comes from is fantastic. There are a few of them in a series call American Folk Festival Of The Blues(I think). No self respecting blues fan should be without them, IMO.

Thanks, I enjoyed that.

-Dave
 
.......................reminds me of my dad and the very late 60s/early 70s in Toronto. There was a blues bar near his place that often had the likes of Muddy, John Lee Hooker, The Wolf, etc on stage. For FREE. All you had to do was make sure you had a drink on the table.

Lived in Toronto in the late 60s, but too young for the bars. My Dad told me he saw Howlin Wolf at the Colonial Tavern on Yonge street.

In his youth (mid-1940s) he'd hitchhike to see Goodman, Ellington and Basie. Much cooler to me than his fondness for Dixieland. (I still can't stand that stuff.)
 
Sam Maghetti died very young. IIRC, I heard the news when I was ~10 (1969). He was around 28-30 yo @ that year? No longer recall the cause of his death -- accident, OD, etc. -- but it came early @ life. Sam's and mine.
Heart attack.
 
Lived in Toronto in the late 60s, but too young for the bars. My Dad told me he saw Howlin Wolf at the Colonial Tavern on Yonge street.

In his youth (mid-1940s) he'd hitchhike to see Goodman, Ellington and Basie. Much cooler to me than his fondness for Dixieland. (I still can't stand that stuff.)

Yeah, that's the place. My dad saw Hooker, and Muddy there, among others. He passed on the Wolf one time, though. He figured he'd catch him the next time he came through, but it never happened. Doh! I give him the gears about that one whenever I can, lol.

Hitchhiking to see Goodman, Ellington, and Basie? Nice!

Good stuff there grillebilly.
 
Earl Hooker was EVERYBODY's favorite Blues guitar player. Otis Rush, Hubert Sumlin and Louis Myers told me that personally. Most of the other "legends" said so too.

Another shout out to Earl Hooker!

And another guy I haven't seen mentioned yet: Lowell Fulson


Always loved his tasty picking! Blue Shadows Falling is another nice track of his.
 
Another shout out to Earl Hooker!

And another guy I haven't seen mentioned yet: Lowell Fulson


Always loved his tasty picking! Blue Shadows Falling is another nice track of his.

Well played sir, well played.
Love Lowell. I just picked up a couple of CDs of his mid 40s to mid 50s material this week, actually. I haven't spun them yet, though. His Chess stuff is fantastic.
 
Back
Top Bottom