• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Just bought a 1961 Thorens TD-124

beatcomber

AK Member
The Thorens TD-124 MK1 has long been my 'dream turntable' based on its beautiful classic styling and reputation for exceptional performance. Having recently added a wonderful restored Fisher 400 tube receiver to my system, my itch to acquire a TD-124 has been growing, and today I finally found what I am hoping will be the 'one,' at what I feel is a very fair price ($1000).

I had planned on buying a beater 124 and restoring it myself, but this one was so clean and the price was right, so it I didn't want to let it slip by; it was just listed this morning.

Once I get this paid off (thank you, Bill Me Later), the plan is to acquire an SME 3009 and a new armboard (I see pre-cut ones on eBay for $59), and hopefully that's all that will be needed [fingers crossed]. I'll likely hang on to the existing armboard and later fit it with a heavy, vintage arm (ie: Empire, ESL, etc.) for my Shure M44-G or Stanton 500, for mono/78 duty.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

From the seller's eBay listing:

Up for sale is a vintage Thorens TD124 transcription turntable. This unit works perfectly and is in NEAR MINT condition! This turntable was acquired from the original owner who brought it home from the showroom in 1961. He took extremely good care if it for the past 52 years and it shows. Serial number is 29304. Just a near mint gem that is waiting to be part of your treasured audio system. I just had it serviced and it is ready for you to mount your favorite tonearm and cartridge. It has a brand new belt, has been fully lubed and a new pair of RCA's were added as the old ones had deteriorated due to age. The strobe light works perfectly and the motor is silky smooth with no noise at all. Comes with the original Thorens walnut plinth. I will also include the original 1961 sales receipt for the winning buyer. If you are looking for a near museum quality TD124 then look no further. This is not the run of the mill TD124 that you often see here on ebay. If you are looking for a solid performer in top notch collector condition then do not hesitate to hit the "Buy It Now" button. This will not last long. Winning bidder will receive what is shown in the pictures.
 

Attachments

  • $T2eC16R,!)gFIg54)59OBSKTt-Yv3!~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16R,!)gFIg54)59OBSKTt-Yv3!~~60_57.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 306
  • $T2eC16d,!ycFIdG3Ct9NBSKTefLg3w~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16d,!ycFIdG3Ct9NBSKTefLg3w~~60_57.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 137
  • $(KGrHqMOKpIFIjhQqCdiBSKTfETZkQ~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqMOKpIFIjhQqCdiBSKTfETZkQ~~60_57.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 160
  • $(KGrHqF,!rkFIQ),MEi6BSKTe+upp!~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!rkFIQ),MEi6BSKTe+upp!~~60_57.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 152
  • $(KGrHqR,!oIFIFin5FyEBSKTe4P!I!~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!oIFIFin5FyEBSKTe4P!I!~~60_57.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
What can I say? Looks perfect! I can't see anything that's not correct.
Wonder what the taped down thing next to the motor and voltage switch is....

What looks different than my MKII, except for the known diffeent motor grommets, speed switch and color, is the bearing of the subplatter. The way it looks on the photo with the subplatter upside down is unexpected. It's very likely the camera angle.
 
What can I say? Looks perfect! I can't see anything that's not correct.

That's what I'm hoping too...

Wonder what the taped down thing next to the motor and voltage switch is....

I was wondering that myself... maybe a cap for the main bearing, to keep the oil from leaking during shipping?

What looks different than my MKII, except for the known diffeent motor grommets, speed switch and color, is the bearing of the subplatter. The way i looks on the photo with the subplatter upside down is unexpected. It's very likely the camera angle.

I believe the early version has a heavier platter.
 
Congratulations! Pretty soon you can do a personal shoot out between your fine collection of direct, belt/suspended and idler drive TTs. Enjoy!
 
I wonder what the current board is drilled for. Looks sort of like what I'd expect for an old Empire or ROK arm, or maybe even a period correct Thorens arm. Easy tell would be to see what other items the seller has listed.
 
The lower hole is for the armrest. I don't know of a Thorens arm of that era that was fastened with two small holes and did not have a big round mounting hole.
Let's search the web for an arm that is mounted that way. First one gets a price...
 
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I was actually planning to ask the seller what arm it originally had, as I am curious about it too.
 
Wow, what a great find!
Congratulations.

The 124 is on my list of future acquisitions.
Yours appears to be as clean as one could ever hope for.
I look forward to seeing what arm you end up with.

Al. Wise
 
Back
Top Bottom