• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Just found a Fisher 400 - now what speakers?

teisco

Well-Known Member
I got lucky and found a 400 close by and went and bought it without even knowing if it worked (crazy yes, but I have been looking for a very long time). I had my friend come over with some old small speakers (cheap, small one driver utility style) and we hooked it up and turned it on.

Well I have not been able to turn it off! I sounds so wonderful and just what I was hoping for. I have it on the local public radio classical music fm station and even through the cheap test speakers the violins sing and whisper and no harshness anywhere. No hum, no rumble, just a bit of static when using the volume control.

I do have a computer fan wedged in the back of the wood case as the four output tubes really are hot otherwise.

Now, what speaker to match up to this great unit? I know you guys have your favorites and I want to hear your opinion.
 
Register to hide this ad
Well -- I am awfully partial to vintage Altecs (Valencias and their ilk, e.g.) but I will note that the 1960s Fisher receivers do a nice job of smoothing off the rough edges of the "heritage" Klipsch speakers (e.g., Cornwalls).
EDIT: sorry I don't have a better photo of the pairing than this (with my 500C, in this case):

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • TQWT.JPG
    TQWT.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
My Fisher 400 is doing bedroom duty with a pair of Tannoy Lomond speakers. That combination is quite nice but good luck finding a pair of those. :D

Other than that, I would think that just about any speaker that is 90db+ efficient should work just fine. :yes:
 
If it were mine I'd turn it off and not use till you get it checked out by a tech. Too many potential problems can crop up and if those tubes run that hot then you already have issues.... Someone in here will chime in I'm sure. Just trying to help.
 
I second Klipsh Heresys or Cornwalls. I too would recommend a powered subwoofer if you go with the Heresys and are not satisfied with the amout of bass they produce. You don't need a ginormous sub, just something big enough to push things down a bit more than what the Herseys will produce (that is without serious mods to their cabinets). The Klipsh KG series would be worth investigating too. Fisher tube receivers really seem to sing with Klipsh speakers!
 
Last edited:
I have a friend with some Heresys so might ask him if I can audition them. Also I know I should have it checked out but there is no one in my area that can do that. I did a search online and found that the 400 series output tubes run very hot normally and the fan really cools them down.

Do you think a modern speaker would be better than a vintage? I would like to keep it all vintage but it is about the sound.
 
The thing about Klipsh is that they are extremely efficient speakers and work well with tube amps of even low and modest power. I am not that experienced with more modern designs, but I think many sacrifice efficiency for smaller cabinets. Some of the full range speakers may do it for you. You have an old school receiver and the Klipsh Heritage Series provides you with old school speakers that, in my opinion, give nothing up (sonically) to new gear. I have run both Heresys and Cornwalls on my Fisher 800B and have come to the conclusion that either pair make a classic match-up.
 
Thanks, looking good for the Heresys so far.

Ok now for a dumb question, how to take off the wood case? I don't want to get shocked so is there a good and bad way or just a way? I need to replace the bulbs for the dial section.
 
There are 4 machine screws on the underside of the wooden case that connect to the chassis. Unscrew those and the chassis will slide out.
 
Thanks, looking good for the Heresys so far.

Ok now for a dumb question, how to take off the wood case? I don't want to get shocked so is there a good and bad way or just a way? I need to replace the bulbs for the dial section.

There are no dumb questions....

Slide 1/4 of the cabinet off the surface you have it on. You'll see a bolt and large washer. Remove it. Adjust the cabinet to expose another bolt. Remove it. Do that 4 times and you have freed the receiver from the case. CAREFULLY SLIDE IT OUT FROM THE FRONT.
 
Big Altecs. But then, I'm biased.

Really depends on how big your room is, and what kind of placement you can arrange for the speakers.
 
The thing is I am looking for great sound at a lower volume because I am apartment living at the moment. Even with these small single driver cheap test speakers hooked up I found the 400 to have great fullness and bottom at very low volume with the loudness switch on, so I imagine with the right speakers it will be great at a lower volume.
 
Last edited:
I'd be more worried about the heat from the CAN CAPS and the TRANSFORMERS than the tubes. Tubes run HOT, PERIOD! Trying to cool them with a fan isn't the best thing for glass.

Turn it on and let it run for a 1/2 hour at normal volume for you. Then touch the transformer tops with your palm. If you can hold it on the top for 7-10 seconds without pain, they are Ok. If the CAN CAPS(especially the back one) is warmer than what would be expected from RADIATED heat from the transformers and tubes, SHUT IT DOWN NOW or you'll have a very nice doorstop, or at least one hell of a repair bill. Really you should have it checked out. If nothing else take some pictures (fairly close up of inside) and post them so we can see what's been done (if anything ) and what needs to be done.

The can's should be slightly warm from radiated heat not Hot.

EDIT your profile with your county/state if nothing else. There might be an AK'er experienced with the 400 in your area.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, I edited my profile, so if anyone near Cedar Rapids Iowa is a guru on these things please let me know. I would love to have someone go over this unit but I won't ship, (lost too many guitars that way).

I will run it for half an hour or so and check the cans and transformers. Thanks for the advice. Also tomorrow I will try to remove the wood case and take some photos. This unit has the wood case with the wood lattice work top vent cover, not the metal vent cover. The wood over the tubes is darkened by heat and from looking at pics of the same versions online they also show a dark area over the output tubes.

I just cannot get over how dead quiet this unit is. I had Counterpoint tube stuff back in the 80's and they even had a slight hum at times.
 
Last edited:
Ok ran it half an hour at low volume. Transformers remained cool, back black can remained cool, silver can in front of black can became hot to the touch.

See picture (not my unit, just an example), blue X's are cool, red X is hot to touch.
 

Attachments

  • heat.jpg
    heat.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 55
The black can is the 1st 1/2 of the Voltage Doubler. The other 1/2 is in a can in the front of the unit.

The hot can is the 4 section cap that feeds most of the circuits. You'll need to definately replace that one. I'd recommend a wholesale replacement of all 3.
Figure for a total recap about $200. in parts (including all 3 can caps.)

Bets are it's still original underneath.

The darkening of the vent area is normal from long term use and the tube heat.

Transformers staying cool is good.

Don't use it until you get those CAN Caps replaced.
 
Ok, just what would happen if I did not replace the can that is getting hot? Would it just blow that can or would it take other items with it? I am not sure I can replace them and there is no one (as far as I know) in my area that would do this. Also where would I get the replacments?
 
You could get really lucky and only blow one section, which would kill that part of the unit.(it's repairable). You can replace the sections with individual caps underneath, OR re-stuff the can with individual caps. Also HAYSEED HAMFEST dot com is in your neck of the woods and will make a set of Custom cans for about $100. Which is about 30-40 less than AES sells can's that you have to cobble together the sections to get what you need.
 
Yes but most of them are gone now. I have a friend that is around my age (70) and he worked at Collins back in the day and I asked him but he declined as he felt he could not do or remember how to do critical work on something like this receiver.
 
Back
Top Bottom